Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
You will be very lucky if you don't do jail time for 106 in a 55. I'd suggest you get a lawyer to plead your case to avoid jail time. No fooling......
True...I do not know what state the OP is in,but here he would have went to jail on the spot and had to post bond..that being said,yes,I still speed BAD...no excuse for it but this is a very rural area and I know the roads like the back of my hand and also know 90% of the cops (former LEO in this jurisdiction)around here too which has helped me on many occasions..as I said,no excuse for it and it will bite me hard one day I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRock23 View Post
Not sure if being sarcastic or not. Lol

But yea, I am pretty shook up.

Do I NEED a lawyer. I'm 18 and not trying to get into all that jazz. Well, too late huh.
Yes you need a lawyer. You are almost certainly going to lose your license even with one. Driving nearly twice the speed limit all but guarantees that.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:33 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
106 in a 55 would be an automatic suspension in NY if convicted. I am surprised you did not get ticketed/charged with reckless driving or worse, something like a "speed contest."

Not many judges have a lot of sympathy for such accessive speeding either. Particularly from teenagers.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 AM

458 posts, read 1,248,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRock23 View Post
This ticket took place in New York.

Since it's my first ticket, I'm hoping the judge sees my sincerity in that I'm genuinely sorry about this.
First ticket sympathy? You're only 18. If you're 30 and get your first ticket you might get some sympathy. Regardless, judges usually aren't sympathetic for people going 100+ in a 55, first ticket or not lol.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:01 AM

385 posts, read 615,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
106 in a 55 would be an automatic suspension in NY if convicted. I am surprised you did not get ticketed/charged with reckless driving or worse, something like a "speed contest."

Not many judges have a lot of sympathy for such accessive speeding either. Particularly from teenagers.
Heck, anything over 80 mph (even if the speed limit is 70 mph on the interstate) is a Class I misdemeanor in VA. Conviction = criminal record, say goodbye to a lot of job opportunities.

Do I speed? Of course, but I keep it to under nine over the limit on the highway, five over on county roads. I paid the "speed tax" once when I was much younger, no more now as the state and county already collect enough from me in income and property taxes.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I speed. However I also have gotten to a point in my life where even though I am still a hot rodder, I have begun to slow down, as I value my life enough to want to see my 2 kids grow up.
Nothing improves your driving like bringing a newborn home from the hospital in the back seat of your car.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Nothing improves your driving like bringing a newborn home from the hospital in the back seat of your car.
That is VERY true..I don't speed with my rugrats in the truck with me either.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:58 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
There's a highway I drive where the speed limit is 55 but everyone goes at least 80. When in Rome.....

Old 05-20-2013, 01:20 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
When I was in drivers training, I had a cop tell me that no cop will pull you over for doing 5 over. So, with that knowledge, I always speed. everywhere. unless there's traffic in front of me that doesn't allow it. I usually do 9ish over the speed limit because 10 mph I feel is the grey area where depending on the cop, how their day is going, and if they need to make their quota, could get me pulled over. When I was in high school, the cop that was at our school a lot said she wouldn't pull any one over for doing anything under 12 over.

Some might say that doing 5 over doesn't make any difference. But for me, it does. the only time I drive now basically is from NYC to Detroit and back. That's over 600 miles. Going 70 an hour (hypothetically), takes 8.5 hours. Going 65 an hour, takes 9.25 hours. So 45 minutes, just for a measly 5 mph. I'll take it!

Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
When I was in drivers training, I had a cop tell me that no cop will pull you over for doing 5 over. So, with that knowledge, I always speed. everywhere. unless there's traffic in front of me that doesn't allow it. I usually do 9ish over the speed limit because 10 mph I feel is the grey area where depending on the cop, how their day is going, and if they need to make their quota, could get me pulled over. When I was in high school, the cop that was at our school a lot said she wouldn't pull any one over for doing anything under 12 over.

Some might say that doing 5 over doesn't make any difference. But for me, it does. the only time I drive now basically is from NYC to Detroit and back. That's over 600 miles. Going 70 an hour (hypothetically), takes 8.5 hours. Going 65 an hour, takes 9.25 hours. So 45 minutes, just for a measly 5 mph. I'll take it!
Yeah I've had cops pull me over for doing 5 over, more than once. I was always let off with a warning but I never rely on what others think or say cops will or won't do, that's for sure, because I've seen all manner of variety in that regard. They do what they want.

And on that note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You're BSing us. There is no way a cop gave you a ticket and let you walk away from a 106 in 55. If you had done it, he would have had you in the back of the cop car.
Sure there is. I've seen it happen many times with my brother. In fact there have been times when he was obviously drinking and driving, bottle of whiskey on the front seat, AND speeding excessively and they let him go with just a speeding ticket. He's an extremely charismatic bastard, FWIW. He got pulled over three times on what's normally a four hour trek from one city to another that he managed to cover in two hours. On the third time he was arrested for DUI but the first two times he was also drinking AND speeding and was let go. Oh and also driving without a license!

Like I said, cops generally do what they want, so I generally stay out of their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive