Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:44 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times

Advertisements

It may make sense to leave one side assembled, with just the road wheel off, so you have a model of how it goes back together.

Do watch what you are doing with the front springs. You can get hurt bad if you screw up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitsNGravy View Post
I have the torque wrench and the Hayes manual.
Wish me luck.
AND a spring compressor and something larger than a 3/8" drive ratchet (I trust)

Yes, do leave one side assembled while you complete the other side, just in case you need a MAP / example (same with brake jobs).... There is often a split snap ring (Wire) on the strut shaft and a washer with a recess for that snap ring to keep it assembled. If you put it on upside down, the wire snap ring is not constrained. You will be driving a few weeks later and snap ring will open up and your car will drop a few inches and you will need to do the R&R all over again... DO NOT do this ! Have a screw driver or shaft / bolt nearby to slip the washers / bushings over IN CORRECT ORDER and orientation as you disassemble so it gets put back in the correct order and orientation.

^You will want to replace the strut bearings and rubber bumpers and dust boots, very little expense, but worth the trouble, as they are all part of the assembly.

I have done hundreds of Struts / shocks but never used a torque wrench for that application. There are certain things that require torque, and most that do not. Do whatever you are comfortable with. DO USE Never-Seize when you re-assemble, and make sure threads / washer surfaces are well lubricated and cleaned off.

Torque readings will NOT be consistent if you are doing some rusty / gritty suspension work without cleaning the threads / washer surface.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,833 times
If its steel on steel I will snug down. Now getting into aluminum and gaskets I torque.

I use t more and more because I torque everything at work.... everything...

Harbour freight has cheap ones. I suggest waiting till black friday I got some torque wrenches 50% off from sears.

I have a question for the automotive people how often is your torque wrench calibrated?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive