Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:06 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,110,685 times

Advertisements

Yep, I still love driving. They could build a train directly from my house to my office and I'd still drive.

Congrats: you are what we call an 'enthusiast'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 12:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Driving a new car is always interesting to me. It doesn't even have to be a supercar (though those are fun).
But day to day, I enjoy comfort in my long commute more than my big engine cars.

Exciting? Driving is a lot of responsibility. It can be exciting, but you must always consider the safety of your fellow drivers first and foremost.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:51 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
I love to drive, been doing it for many many years. In fact I love driving so much I plan on driving to my own funeral...

Old 05-22-2013, 12:57 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartinNY View Post
Ok I've driven my dad's car 3 times total now. My first time I was nervous but excited, second time i was cool and my confidence was up with no mistakes (I had fun), 3rd time I was nervous again and i messed up on parking and u turns. I have no idea why I was so nervous the 3rd time maybe because the area was unfamiliar but the 2nd time was around my house and i was comfortable.

In general I love to drive, the whole idea of it excites me and its all i want to do even when im in school. Its like an obsession.

My real question is do you guys that have been driving for an adequate time still get that feeling of excitement?
Don't you know that kids your age aren't supposed to like driving? It's old and outdated!

Or at least that's what the anti car zealots say.

Glad you found something you like. Oh, and if you think driving a cage is fun, try riding a motorcycle!

Old 05-22-2013, 02:00 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Each and every time I get in my Jeep....every time, I get a smile on my face.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartinNY View Post
My real question is do you guys that have been driving for an adequate time still get that feeling of excitement?
Yes, but I drive fun cars and drive on fun roads. There is always an initial excitement with something new, but if you really like driving, getting a car that makes it enjoyable and finding the roads and driving groups that are fun will grow and cultivate that love.

I usually drive every Saturday if I have the time - I get in my favorite car and go find my favorite roads, or explore for new ones.

Once you have a car, you might also want to consider trying autocrossing. It is relatively cheap, easy, and fun, and you will learn a lot about car control, cars in general, and find others that are passionate about cars.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Keep that zest and enjoyment and let it spread to other areas of your life as well.

And to show my age....

Old 05-22-2013, 09:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
To me, driving my car is like playing music. It's a harmonic system, and as a driver, my objective is to avoid flats and sharps and missing beats. Accelerating and decelerating and gearing up and down and making coordinated turns and blending into the traffic give me the same pleasure as as being a part of an orchestra performing a symphony.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:32 AM

528 posts, read 823,460 times
I turn 60 today and I love driving as much today as I did at your age. It does not matter if I am off roading my Jeep, driving my recently acquired roadster on those wonderful country back roads or driving the sedan to work or the grocery. The other day my wife picked me up on her way home from work so I had to ride shotgun. It was so wrong I had nothing to do in that alien environment. I pity my entire family when the time comes that they think I am to old or feeble to drive any more. It will take all of them plus a few strangers to pry the keys from my hands. I am not a wealthy man but, I am blessed to have acquired and maintained a small stable of vehicles (4) that serve different purposes and I love driving all of them. Life is not about the destination, it's about the journey in a few nice , fun and smooth running vehicles. It sounds like you my be infected with the same disease my friend, enjoy your journey.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:36 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
driving a family car appliance? No. I hate driving my wife's Sonata. But it saves gas. Fortunately I have my fun car all the other times. I'm 35 and my answer is yes still, but ONLY because of the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive