Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times

Advertisements

It's kind of like a first experience with a sexy woman. At first you all hot and bothered, but after you've driven a few fast, temperamental and sexy ones you're ready to move on.

To a beige Camry that is.

I drive 40k a year and the only thing at would rev my excitement up is a Porsche 930.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 06:17 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartinNY View Post
My real question is do you guys that have been driving for an adequate time still get that feeling of excitement?
I've been a licensed driver now for 50 years so I'll assume that is an adequate amount of time to have been behind a steering wheel, but to answer your question, driving no longer excites me as it used to.

However, if I can ever get the time and energy to get it out of the barn, a short drive down the dirt road in my '24 Dodge coupe could get my blood flowing again. It might even excite my neighbors.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I've been a licensed driver now for 50 years so I'll assume that is an adequate amount of time to have been behind a steering wheel, but to answer your question, driving no longer excites me as it used to.

However, if I can ever get the time and energy to get it out of the barn, a short drive down the dirt road in my '24 Dodge coupe could get my blood flowing again. It might even excite my neighbors.
An old HS friend had either a 24 or 26 Dodge he found buried in a Sand pile in Yuma County Colorado in the early 1960s. He and his Father cleaned it up and added fresh gas & oil and it fired right up. Dean was the envy of all of us gearheads for his ride.
GL2

Old 05-25-2013, 06:37 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
That's neat! My old Dodge is one my wife's grandpa bought new at Clovis, NM. I have the original NM title. I put new tires on it and had it running a few years ago but haven't done anything with it since. All it really needs is a new vacuum tank to draw fuel from the rear mounted gas tank. You can rebuild those tanks. I just haven't gotten around to it. I think the baffles in those tanks are leather.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:39 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartinNY View Post
..I stepped into the Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS and in my head i was like "how do people drive these things? its so low and awkward, driving would be very hard".

But there is really no difference right? Its just that SUV's are higher and I guess you can say more visibility?
I almost laughed out loud after reading this...

I've got nowhere near as much "driving experience" as some of these other guys, but I've been (legally) driving for 5 years now... On my regular commute to work, driving is more a chore than anything else. It's boring. Granted, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'll occasionally hit some fun, twisty roads -- and that's where the fun is.

I've actually been thinking about replacing my daily with a Subaru BRZ. I love the way that thing drives. There's a world of difference between cars, and you'll quickly learn that once you start driving more. SUVs are comfortable on the highway, and you sit a lot higher (usually above other traffic, giving you greater visibility). But throw them into the corners, and you feel the weight of the vehicle swinging around. The whole thing leans over, wanting to go in a straight line instead. Compare that to my track-built Miata, and there's absolutely no similarities. You can see out the windows well, and there's no blind spots, but you sit under the traffic. Driving down the highway, I look straight under semi trucks (it does actually fit beneath some tractor trailers -- I've driven under one that was parked in a parking lot once, just to see if I could ). Throw it into the corners, downshifting as you apex, and it's pure driving nirvana. It corners flat, and feels like it's driving on rails. Granted, it's nowhere near as safe.

Attached two pics -- first one is my Miata. Interior is partially stripped, it's sitting low on some k-sport coilovers, and it's got bigger brakes and some ridiculously heavy wheels (swapping them out later). Right now it's got a bone stock 1.6L 4 cylinder, but I'm swapping in a 1.8L engine that some friends and I have built and supercharged.

Second pic is my daily driver. 2007 Mazdaspeed6, lightly modded. Turbocharged 4 cylinder, putting out nearly 300 horses. AWD and 6 speed manual. It's a pretty fun daily driver. (it's a bit dirty in that picture -- we took the fun route up to a lake. 25 miles of twisty gravel roads. Definitely loved having AWD and a manual transmission! I got my daily driver sideways on nearly every corner).

EDIT: All that aside, nothing is quite as exciting as riding a motorcycle in heavy city traffic. Especially in California, where you can lane split, and cut between cars (there's been several threads already on the safety of doing so, no need to debate that here). I lane split when I rode in Mississippi, and a bit in Kentucky, but haven't gotten the chance to ride in California just yet... The Miata can be fun there, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Does Driving still excite you overtime?-177978_3895859987837_1314156597_o-copy.jpg   Does Driving still excite you overtime?-329236_211945915567467_1719071474_o-copy.jpg  

Last edited by cab591; 05-27-2013 at 08:49 AM..

Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I almost laughed out loud after reading this...

I've got nowhere near as much "driving experience" as some of these other guys, but I've been (legally) driving for 5 years now... ). Throw it into the corners, downshifting as you apex, and it's pure driving nirvana. It corners flat, and feels like it's driving on rails. .
Just to save you or anyone taking your advise, you never want to downshift AS you apex. That has way too much potential to unbalance the car and cause a spin. Or TCO trailing clutch oversteer. You should always get your downshifting done in a straight line as much as possible, smooth release of the brake pedal and squeezing back on the power somewhere around the apex depending on what type of corner and type/balance of car.

And yes..the BRZ will be much more enjoyable at that then an SUV..

Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Just to save you or anyone taking your advise, you never want to downshift AS you apex. That has way too much potential to unbalance the car and cause a spin.
I drift.

Though canyon runs are fun, too. Bouncing through apex after apex, keeping the engine screaming. I beat the **** out of that little 4 cylinder.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I drift.

Though canyon runs are fun, too. Bouncing through apex after apex, keeping the engine screaming. I beat the **** out of that little 4 cylinder.
of couse you do.. and on public streets...
With five whole years of experience and maturity ..

Old 05-27-2013, 10:35 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
I've enjoyed my '50 GTO since the day I bought it new, and still feel there was not a better choice for me. A couple weeks ago one of the cats was breaking apart internally. It sounded like a bunch of rocks rolling around inside of a metal trash can. The dealer wants $1600 for ONE. I found high flow midpipes for $550 a pair, but it took two weeks, since parts like this for my car are fairly rare. So I didn't drive it for about 10 days. I had a buddy who owns a shop help me put them on (meaning I watched, fetched parts and tools, and told jokes while he worked), move the sway bar settings, change most of the fluids, tightened up some loose and rattly suspension bits, etc.

It's like a whole new car now, and I'm enjoying it like I just bought it. In the four days since I started driving it again I've taken it out 3 times beyond the usual driving around, just for fun. A buddy who used to race drove it at my request just to see how much better it is now than it was, and was surprised at the difference. I'm walking out in a few minutes to go run errands I have no real need to run.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
While I was lucky enough to grow up and cut my driving / biking teeth here (Big Thompson Canyon, Colorado)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfC6VS2b0Cs

these are some other great drives / rides...
10 best roads The USA - lonely planet
including my favorite:
Exploring "America's Most Beautiful Highway" - Itinerary

another nice route.
Twisty Road - Next 140 miles!!! (California Route 36) | California Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

Too many roads, too little time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive