Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:39 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,150 times

Advertisements

Well crap, now its getting a little worse. It now does it without the A/C on sometimes. But still only when warm out. Chilly mornings, she runs flippin great.

I did disconnect the MAF and it still ran the same. Weird though, no CEL. Truck was warm, closed loop, I thought for sure it would give a CEL.

Any other thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Maybe the TPS has a dead spot in it?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,036,531 times
Geez, this is a weird one. Something makes me suspect that it's EGR and/or Idle Air Control Valve related...

Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Maybe the TPS has a dead spot in it?
I am pulling the TPS this weekend, it is a new one, but with most aftermarket replacement parts, there can be bad ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Geez, this is a weird one. Something makes me suspect that it's EGR and/or Idle Air Control Valve related...
I was looking at the IAC a few days ago and was going to probe more into that. IAC is adjusted differently with A/C on but if the IAC is going bad, that may explain why it does its "sometimes" with A/C off. Could be sticking?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,036,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I was looking at the IAC a few days ago and was going to probe more into that. IAC is adjusted differently with A/C on but if the IAC is going bad, that may explain why it does its "sometimes" with A/C off. Could be sticking?
Sure could be. It's a long-shot, to be sure. But not much else is making a lot of sense.

In a weird way, the fact that it's getting worse is probably a good thing. Eventually you'll know for sure.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Whatever it is, I want it to fail soon. Then I can fix it. Im not replacing anything unless I know its the issue.

What still bugs me is no CEL. Usually the stumble is for a couple of seconds, but I've been able to get it to last 7 or 8 seconds and not a blip of that light. I know the CEL works though.

I have a friend that has one of those pro portable diagnostic tools/scopes that monitor in real time. I may have to give him a call and a 12 pack.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,279,455 times
FYI - A TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is like the volume control on an old radio/TV where you would turn the knob to increase volume. It lets a little electricity through at low volume, then lets more and more electricity through as you turn the knob.

And it has metal "wipers" which rub on a special surface as it is turned back and forth - That surface wears down after years of use and may no longer make good electrical contact in certain areas. In the case of the radio, there could be dead spots or the speakers would emit a "scratchy noise" as you turned the volume up/down. Here is a picture of a TPS taken apart...
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/att...lls-tps_11.jpg

With a TPS, each time you move the accelerator pedal up/down, it also moves that TPS sensor. So imagine what it looks like on a vehicle with high mileage! Quite worn!

And the job of the TPS is to tell the engine computer how far open the throttle is (or how much you are pressing on the accelerator). Based on that and other information, it gives the engine more or less fuel via the injectors.

If the TPS is worn, it will be telling the engine computer the throttle is at a different position than it actually is, so the amount of fuel delivered to the engine will not be what it should be.

Probably good to replace those if your vehicle mileage is getting to be around 80,000 miles or more. Definitely replace them at 100,000 miles.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:14 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Well crap, now its getting a little worse. It now does it without the A/C on sometimes. But still only when warm out. Chilly mornings, she runs flippin great.

I did disconnect the MAF and it still ran the same. Weird though, no CEL. Truck was warm, closed loop, I thought for sure it would give a CEL.

Any other thoughts?
Are you saying it didn't turn on the CEL driving it with the MAF disconnected?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Are you saying it didn't turn on the CEL driving it with the MAF disconnected?
yup, drove it around the block, no CEL. I then disconnected a couple other sensors, and CEL lit up. Plugged it back in and cleared the code. Tried again with the MAF and nothing. Maybe I should try giving more throttle but i gave about 25%, which should be enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive