Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 03:26 PM

142 posts, read 677,160 times

Advertisements

OP, a well taken care of, and low mileage garage queen is fine. Have a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done by a reputable independent mechanic or an MB dealership. However, be aware that a MB parts are expensive; it will be costly if you take it to the shop (dealership or mechanic) for every thing, especially the minor stuff such as wiper blade change, oil change, tire rotation, etc.

I bought a '00 BMW M Roadster with 34,700 miles in 2012. I changed all the fluids (brake, power steering, transmission, differential) and the previous owner replaced the entire cooling system (radiator, hoses, thermostat, etc) replaced, all know potential issues with this model. Even before I changed the fluids, it drove like it just came of the assembly line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 AM

774 posts, read 2,600,871 times
If you buy this car I'm going to suggest that you budget a good chunk of money to replace just about everything rubber on the car.. For the most part rubber parts don't care of the car has 10 miles or 100000.. Time is what does the bulk of the damage to them. You're going to be looking at tires, belts, hoses (all of them), suspension bushings etc. You'll also want to change all of the rubber components of the brake system from hoses to the rubber seals around the pistons in the caliper. Then flush every fluid on the car.

You'll also want to try to figure out how the car was driven.. If it was driven 15 miles every weekend you might want to pass. If it was driven for a couple of years and put away then it might be worth it. Driving a car short distances does more damage than letting it sit. That's why they tell you NOT to start a car in the winter unless you plan to drive it.

I'm not saying don't buy it. I'm saying plan ahead and be ready to spend some cash.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:39 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Just make sure the ties are not rotten and check all the fluid levels change the oil and inspect the rubber hoses for rot too. No need to worry about leaking seals which can be expensive to repair until l you see them. 15 years is not that old

Old 08-14-2014, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,021 times
Going to look at a 72 Nova with 50,000 miles, runs excellent. It was bought from an old lady who drove to the store & back but always stored it in doors. Prob needs all suspension bushings, gaskets, hoses? Other than that don't know what to expect such low miles & being so old. Looks like original engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive