Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:38 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,924,497 times

Advertisements

Will GPS system be standard for entry level family sedans in the next few years, just like A/C was a decade or two ago?

For example, you have to get Camry XLE or Accord EX-L AND pay over $2K just to get the GPS. What's up with that? The last time, I check, GPS are not that expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 12:44 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
They're not and I refuse to get a built in GPS because I could get a Garmin for much cheaper. Also, I can take that Garmin and use it in any car that I wish, it's not stuck in one vehicle.

At least for GM, I haven't heard great things about the built in GPS systems.

You can get a Garmin for $100 these days with lifetime map updates. Why pay many times more than that just so something is built in?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:59 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Unless they become super cheap I'm thinking it is going to start to go the other way. You could just as easily use your smart phone which everyone pretty much has anyways. I certainly wouldn't pay what they are asking for a built in one.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:51 PM

805 posts, read 1,872,598 times
Got my refurbished Garmin for $70 from WMT with lifetime maps, no way would I pay for built in GPS.

Most people I know, now use their smart-phones.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:00 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
They're not and I refuse to get a built in GPS because I could get a Garmin for much cheaper. Also, I can take that Garmin and use it in any car that I wish, it's not stuck in one vehicle.

At least for GM, I haven't heard great things about the built in GPS systems.

You can get a Garmin for $100 these days with lifetime map updates. Why pay many times more than that just so something is built in?
Bingo! I've also got a Garmin with lifetime map updates (and traffic updates too). It is way less expensive than anything an auto manufacturer is going to sell you, can be taken out of the car so it isn't stolen, transferred to use in another vehicle, and very easy to update. How exactly do you update those built-in GPS units in a car, anyway? Do you have to bring your car into the dealer and then get charged their hourly labor rate to update it?

Built-in GPS units are a waste of money, IMO.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:02 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
The biggest issue for smartphone as GPS is that I frequently find myself where there is no cell coverage. I can get GPS coordinates, but have no map (because there's no cell coverage to provide that map). Sure, I could fill the storage space with off-line maps, but then you're stuck with Only those areas, and I don't tend to do well in the "you can only go here, not over there" department.

The Second biggest issue? Cost. I paid less for both of my GPS units than what you smartphone owners pay for a single month of service. Since I don't (won't) own a smartphone, that's a MASSIVE cost difference.

But yeah, for people who already succumb to the smartphone fad and never leave the beaten path (because, OMG, you can't go without your 'spacebook' updates every 3 seconds), it probably IS a viable option. Me, I'm happy with my standalone PNDs (even if one is 6+ years old and the other closing in on 2 years)

Old 06-01-2013, 02:06 PM

250 posts, read 383,545 times
I wouldn't want a built in on one, as others have said it cost to much and is cheaper just to buy one and have it for many years. If you rent a car you can take it with you where ever you are going. I don't even know why they still have them in cars because you can buy them so cheap and also have them on a smart phone. My guess why they still do is to have the cost of the car higher.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:29 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
I hope not--they will be outdated--always by the cheap stand alone such as Garmin and Tom Tom.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
month of service. Since I don't (won't) own a smartphone, that's a MASSIVE cost difference.

But yeah, for people who already succumb to the smartphone fad and never leave the beaten path (because, OMG, you can't go without your 'spacebook' updates every 3 seconds), it probably IS a viable option. Me, I'm happy with my standalone PNDs (even if one is 6+ years old and the other closing in on 2 years)
I don't think fad means what you think it means.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:16 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
With the price of new electronic devices becoming increasingly affordable, it's interesting how the in dash GPS units haven't followed that trend. And the ones that are out there, are all high end units that do everything except cook dinner. I don't see why they can't integrate a basic Garmin with the radio, and make it standard equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive