Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:43 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
or shift your manual trans car...
Then we gotta make those illegal too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 01:53 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,287,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Then we gotta make those illegal too.
Funny thing, I was talking to a cop about the issue of distracted driving and he was adamant that taking a hand off the steering wheel to do anything was inherently unsafe. So I asked him how he shifted his car. He looked at me like I had 3 heads. I was like, "yeah, one hand on the wheel, and one hand shifting, even around a corner." He seriously responded with, "then you're not in control of your car. Your hands shoudl ALWAYS be on the wheel."

Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,542,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
personally i think that anyone caught texting while driving should be publicly flogged. thirty lashes and fined heavily, say $10,000 and 1000 hours community service.
I totally agree! I walk 6 miles a day. My walks often take me along roads that have little if any shoulders. I always walk against traffic to I can try to make eye contact with the on coming driver. The times I have had to scramble onto the grass are usually when the on coming driver is texting or talking on the phone.

I see many drivers with a cigarette in one hand and the cell phone in the other. How the hell are they driving??!!

If you see me walking and are talking or texting on your cell phone, try to read my lips as you go by. I will give you instructions on where to put the phone as you are driving. Although if you follow my instructions you will probably need a doctor to retrieve your phone!

Old 06-03-2013, 02:53 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,086 times
Quote:
Its not necessary. It's a waste of time and money. I take my eyes off the road dozens of times a minute looking in mirrors and other driving related things. Just sayin.

You are a problem. Who died and made you cell phone cop. So help me if you give a "Problem" to someone ho may be having a medical emergency...

You worry about others to much and dont even realize that you are a problem on the roads.

Very few wrecks have their phone records checked by police. It's usually only fatality or serious injury wrecks that have reasonable suspicion that texting may have caused it. "They crashed" is not enough for a warrant.

Exactly. Distracted driving is all it is. Doesnt matter if its texting, singing, playing steering wheel drums, etc.

Thats all find and dandy, but a warrant is still needed. There has to be reasonable suspicion to obtain too.

This has always been an interesting subject.

Why are we singling out texting? It should be any distraction. But, what is a distraction to me is not to you. Some people cant drive with a radio on. Most of us can. Some people can talk to a passenger fine and drive, while others cant. There is no line here because everybody is different.

Take away texting part and write the law for distracted driving. Now you just included anything. This is good. This can make turning your radio station into a infraction if you are not able to do so safely.

Now, keep it a secondary offense. This is needed for one reason only. You are NOT distracted if you are one that can do something without it affecting the other. After all, the definition of distracted is "Unable to concentrate because one's mind is preoccupied".

So, as a secondary offense, if you are observed doing anything other than driving and commit a moving violation, then you are busted.

Keep the penalty for distracted driving stiff though. We still want to discourage it.

Remember, long before cell phones, people were messing with CD players, cassette tapes, 8 tracks, etc. There has always been distracted driving and lots of it.

Now, as far as anyone under 18, no phone in hand period.

If you all want to keep going for these little bans, just solve it all by mandating 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 steering wheel positions. If your hands are on the wheel at all times, you cant do make up, radio, read, game, text, etc.
Speaking of distracted by the radio..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80i-...e_gdata_player

Btw.. getting a warrant for anything these days is about as hard as saying "please" for any LE these days. JS

Old 06-03-2013, 07:04 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Quote:
Its not necessary.

Exactly. Distracted driving is all it is. Doesnt matter if its texting, singing, playing steering wheel drums, etc.

Why are we singling out texting? It should be any distraction. But, what is a distraction to me is not to you. Some people cant drive with a radio on. Most of us can. Some people can talk to a passenger fine and drive, while others cant. There is no line here because everybody is different.

Take away texting part and write the law for distracted driving. Now you just included anything. This is good. This can make turning your radio station into a infraction if you are not able to do so safely.

Now, keep it a secondary offense. This is needed for one reason only. You are NOT distracted if you are one that can do something without it affecting the other. After all, the definition of distracted is "Unable to concentrate because one's mind is preoccupied".

So, as a secondary offense, if you are observed doing anything other than driving and commit a moving violation, then you are busted.

Keep the penalty for distracted driving stiff though. We still want to discourage it.

Remember, long before cell phones, people were messing with CD players, cassette tapes, 8 tracks, etc. There has always been distracted driving and lots of it.

Now, as far as anyone under 18, no phone in hand period.
I don't text. I rarely even have a cell phone on me. I agree with what you wrote, 100%.

An accident is an accident, whether it's caused due to texting or any number of other distractions.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post

Btw.. getting a warrant for anything these days is about as hard as saying "please" for any LE these days. JS
That video makes me not want to drive around others They are scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I don't text. I rarely even have a cell phone on me. I agree with what you wrote, 100%.

An accident is an accident, whether it's caused due to texting or any number of other distractions.
I'll be one of the few that will admit it, but I have sent a few texts. Its rare, but I have. Most of the time, its while waiting for a light. I've never had anybody honk at me for not seeing a green light though because I still am focused on driving and surroundings.

I also have a voice to text feature that I always use when I do. I dont have to look at the keyboard or screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I totally agree! I walk 6 miles a day. My walks often take me along roads that have little if any shoulders. I always walk against traffic to I can try to make eye contact with the on coming driver. The times I have had to scramble onto the grass are usually when the on coming driver is texting or talking on the phone.

I see many drivers with a cigarette in one hand and the cell phone in the other. How the hell are they driving??!!

If you see me walking and are talking or texting on your cell phone, try to read my lips as you go by. I will give you instructions on where to put the phone as you are driving. Although if you follow my instructions you will probably need a doctor to retrieve your phone!
I can drive just fine while talking on the phone. Many people cant, but many can. Why should I be punished?

Just an FYI, most of these dangerous texters and talkers behind the wheel are just as dangerous not talking or texting. They will have another distraction. These are the kinds of people that scare the crap out of me every day. Its not even worth honking at them because they dont even know what the did or almost did.

Why must we keep banning everything because of stupid people. Its not fair to us that are not stupid. How about going after the ones that cant do it.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post

That video is a bit misleading.
Most folks can open a bottle while driving and are smart enough to do that while driving on a straight road, not in a tide curve like in this test.....

I do not text, and answer the phone while on the interstate or highway, but not in city traffic.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 PM

6 posts, read 9,082 times
How many points does it take in NY for you to get your license suspended? In PA it's 6 and I already have 5 on mines for speeding.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:38 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
We did just fine without computers 50 years ago.
Actually the first computer was 70 years ago (for WW II - 1943), but it was kept secret for 50 years, so few people know about it even to this day...

Colossus computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,287,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Actually the first computer was 70 years ago (for WW II - 1943), but it was kept secret for 50 years, so few people know about it even to this day...

Colossus computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So, therefore YOU did fine without computers 50 years ago. Were there a ton of personal computers 70 years ago? 50 years ago? 40 years ago? No. My point still stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive