Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times

Advertisements

Listen to blackhemi, he is correct. Getting a lawyer (which would be pricey in itself) won't make these things go away, it's not like a speeding ticket where they can be bargained down or switched to a different violation. With insurance and registration, it's either you have it or you don't.

A long time ago, right out of college, I got a ticket for no insurance. My insurance had been expired for about 3 weeks, didn't know it, and I had just moved, so I never got the renewal notice in the mail to remind me. I had to pay a fine, plus pay a fee of $250 for three years. It sucked, I wasn't making much money back then and it was a big financial hit. The judge wasn't lenient at all, it was just an open/shut case of no insurance.

My advice would be to go before the judge, tell him your situation, and ask him what your options are due to your economic hardship. He may be able to put you on a payment plan of some sort. Be respectful, and realize that even though you got caught breaking the law, the law is there for a reason. If paying fines/fees is all that happens to you, think how much better off you are than if you had hit someone and totaled their car and were sued for medical expenses. THAT would ruin your life far more than your current situation.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Years ago, I got in an accident without insurance (car was registered though). I had my license revoked for 30 days and after that I could only get it back if I had proof of insurance. I also had to do community service and retake road test for drivers license. The price for insurance went way up after court. Never, ever drive without insurance! The advice to get it registered and insured before court is the right thing to do. It may or may not help, but it won't hurt.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,043 times
Take your lumps. This type of thing is rarely reduced, as you put too many people in danger for your negligence. Next time remember, if it is safe to do so, slow down and stop when you see a yellow. It is not an indicator to pass through as quick as possible. Doing this, would have saved you from being pulled over.

Good luck with what ever happens, I hope this is a nice lesson learned. Be thankful you did not get in an accident and ruin another persons life due to your negligence of being properly insured.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:29 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Have you got your,summons to appear in the mail yet?
Once you get your appearance date,go in front of the judge with everything taken care of.
He/She may let you off all together.
Ask to go in front of the judge,do not let the clerks talk you into paying the ticket.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
There is no way you can post something like this and not expect people to state the obvious, that you have no right to be driving an unregistered and (especially) an uninsured car. Accidents happen and people are hurt sometimes and you need to be covered for those eventualities.

You say you are working to get these problems resolved but you really need to take the bus or a bike until that happens. In the meantime, you will have to face the judge and your best bet is to simply come clean and ask for forgiveness and leniency. You probably are going to lose your license for a while, and whatever you do, do not attempt to drive without one, that will really get you in deep water.

A friend of our family just got out of prison after 3 years for a similar situation where a lady was injured in an accident he caused. They do not fool around with this stuff any more.

Don

Old 06-14-2013, 12:47 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Might be a good time to look at taking the bus/getting a bicycle as well. It's not going to make the fees go away, but it'll get you from A to B without paying for insurance.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Getting a lawyer is not likely to be practical for you, and they cannot do anything in this situation you cannot do for yourself if you are a little bit smart.

First you need to figure out if you want to continue driving or not. If you want to continue driving, do not even think about going to court without first obtaining insurance and registration. See whether you can postpone your hearing if you must.

Once you have insurance and registration, take it to the hearing and beg. Frequently they will impose a fine and they may even change it to a no points violation. You can ask to be allowed to work off the fine in some instances, but I do not know what instances those are - no experience with that. However I do not know one of my son's friends was able to go clean up roadside trash for a handful of weekends because he could not pay a fine or penalty.

If you cannot afford registration and insurance - sorry you cannot afford a car. That is just as critical to being able to have and use a car as gasoline and oil changes.

Another option is to just park the car (not on the street until you can afford the insurance and registration. Do not park an unregistered car on the street, it will be towed away. Which, by the way if not registered, it is only a matter of time before you come out and find your car gone. I forgot to put the sticker on my plate one time and it was towed from the parking garage at DTW. $125 error.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:57 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
My read says you were driving Unregistered/Uninsured because you do not have a title to the vehicle and were therefore unable to obtain such. This is going to take WEEKS to clear up, at best, even if you *are* the rightful owner of the vehicle, I had a similar problem myself recently...but I left the vehicle where it was and didn't drive it.

You are lucky that they didn't add some other charges, like attaching false plates (if you put one on), driving to endanger, and lucky that they didn't tow and impound the car immediately and leave you to make your way home on foot.

$200+ per month for insurance??? I pay that for a *year* for liability coverage (and that's with increased med/damage coverage over the basic). That just doesn't sound right...unless there is something else you havent told us.

Anyway, you're pretty much screwed. Like the other good advice you have already received- stop driving, and definitely DO NOT drive that vehicle to court. If you keep driving, you're going to end up being really, REALLY screwed, because they will keep popping you.

Plead for mercy, try to explain the title problem, and BE contrite. If the judge/magistrate does not appear sympathetic, seems short and surly with you, then just shut your mouth and take your lumps- because if you keep talking it will only get worse.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:15 PM
-tr -tr started this thread

22 posts, read 36,604 times
Thanks folks. I certainly didn't expect to avoid any lectures, and didn't mean that I don't deserve one. Just hoped to keep them away from the hateful, negative type. I understand some might have had bad experiences because of something like this, but it just doesn't help.

I don't have a court date yet, just about two weeks left on the deadline for the fix-it ticket. Assuming I cannot get it legal in time, should I admit guilt with a written explanation (afraid they might take this as lazy, unless I denote my work schedule and lack of a vehicle), or get a court date and try to explain to a judge? And if I can, would I want a court date anyways, or is written okay?

Thanks again for everyone's replies!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:23 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
One thing to keep an eye out for is the effect a no insurance conviction has on your record. Many states will force you do mandatory SR-22 insurance and that usually means you pay the highest possible price for insurance for several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive