Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 12:36 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu with 51,000 miles on it that starting losing about a quart of oil every 5000 miles after the first 20,000 miles. When I get the oil changed the mechanics say they don't see any oil leaks. Is losing that amount of oil unusual or is it nothing to worry about? The car otherwise runs fine.

That's not a problem at all, it's somewhat normal, but unless you're using synthetic oil, you shouldn't be going 5000 miles between oil changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Broken or stuck piston ring will leak enough oil to do this. The oil loss starts after about 2,000 miles then gets worse due to thinning of the oil over running time.

To find where your oil is going have a mechanic run a complete compression check on each cylinder to find the weak cylinder . Do this ASAP or you risk a blown engine if that stuck ring grabs a cylinder wall.

Good luck.
Would a broken or stuck piston ring make an obvious noise? The engine has a very smooth sound to it.

Based on most responses here I think I should take it to a Chevy dealer for my next oil change and let them have a look. It is still under warranty up to 100,000 miles and otherwise runs quite smoothly with no other problems.

It does concern me a little because my previous car, a Toyota, never lost any oil even when it had 150,000 miles on it. It could be nothing , I but I'll get it checked.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:01 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
Quote:
Would a broken or stuck piston ring make an obvious noise? The engine has a very smooth sound to it.

Based on most responses here I think I should take it to a Chevy dealer for my next oil change and let them have a look. It is still under warranty up to 100,000 miles and otherwise runs quite smoothly with no other problems.

It does concern me a little because my previous car, a Toyota, never lost any oil even when it had 150,000 miles on it. It could be nothing , I but I'll get it checked.

I wouldn't worry about it if there is no leak particularly if you are using xx-20 oil. What viscosity?

Old 06-13-2013, 06:03 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it if there is no leak particularly if you are using xx-20 oil. What viscosity?
5W-30 and I do use what GM recommends, which is the dextos full synthetic oil.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:10 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
Quote:
5W-30 and I do use what GM recommends, which is the dextos full synthetic oil.

x-20 oil consumption is usually higher because of the viscosity. Show it to dealer and see what he says but I think loosing a quart for 5K is within normal range. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Sorry but this isn't 1971. Today's modern engines should not be going through a quart every 5000 miles.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 PM

774 posts, read 2,600,871 times
That kind of oil consumption is unacceptable. If the car had 150k on it and you said it used a quart every 5 K I'd say ok that normal.

While some engine designs do use more oil than others NONE are designed to use oil. You're problem could be something as simple as a clogged PVC valve or as senior as a cracked piston or rings. The last motor I tore down that used that much oil had the rings frozen in place.

If there's no leaks then the motor is burning it somewhere. The question is WHY.

If you are putting a quart in every 5k now what's it gonna be like at 100k miles. Get it fixed or dump it. Typical POS GM crap.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:56 PM

774 posts, read 2,600,871 times
That kind of oil consumption is unacceptable. If the car had 150k on it and you said it used a quart every 5 K I'd say ok that normal.

While some engine designs do use more oil than others NONE are designed to use oil. You're problem could be something as simple as a clogged PVC valve or as senior as a cracked piston or rings. The last motor I tore down that used that much oil had the rings frozen in place.

If there's no leaks then the motor is burning it somewhere. The question is WHY.

If you are putting a quart in every 5k now what's it gonna be like at 100k miles. Get it fixed or dump it. Typical POS GM crap.

You'd be better off with your your old Toyota with 150k on it.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Would a broken or stuck piston ring make an obvious noise?
Obvious noise and obvious misfire.

I have the Ecotec 4 cyl in the same car and it doesn't use any oil. Zero. I use the oil life monitor for oil changes, and that usually puts the OCI at 9,000 miles. Full synthetic, Dexos1 approved.

Anyway that Ecotec is a German design that has been around in some form for 40 years-- so if you have this engine and are consuming ANY oil I'd take it in right away.

OTOH if you have that detuned Cadillac V6-- you can read online all day about oil consumption problems. And if it's running smooth, it's probably "normal".

Old 06-14-2013, 07:38 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Sigh. Guys, those of you that are saying that losing 1 qt in 5k miles is not normal, are simply wrong. None of you must do your own oil changes, on a variety of cars.

http://www.le-international.com/uplo...onsumption.pdf

High oil consumption on new cars not unusual

Motor Oil Consumption in Honda Engines

Bottom line... Losing 1 qt in 5k miles is perfectly normal. Stop saying otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive