Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:59 AM

683 posts, read 4,616,803 times

Advertisements

Granted, my last car I bought on craigslist and the previous owners turned out to be pretty dishonest.

This time, I bought my car from carmax. It's a 2010 Chevy aveo. Carmax service was great and supposedly they have their 125 point inspection policy, which is also great.

I'm still under a thirty day warranty. I have already had to have a bad battery replaced (within the first two weeks of owning the car), and now something else is making noise.

It seems to be coming from my driver side front wheel/tire. I can only hear it when I have my window open and especially when I'm driving next to a curb or a wall where the noise is bouncing off. It's sort of a flapping sound, similar to when you used to put a baseball card in your bike spokes. It speeds up and slows down in sync with the tire rotation (by the way, the tires are brand new).

So, it was doing that for a while, and now along with it it's also making a noise, also in sync with tire rotation, that sounds like a cricket.

This happens only when I'm moving forward, not in reverse, and I can hear it more when I'm going slow (I'm guessing just because the car itself is not making as much noise). The weird thing is, when i started hearing it last week, it stopped completely for a few days after I washed my car. Coincidence? I don't know, but it's back.

I will take the car in to carmax but am not able to for a couple of days. I figure I have nothing to lose since it's under warranty. But, does anyone have any experience with carmax regarding this type of thing? Will they fix something that is not necessarily "broken?" I'm driving from California to Louisiana in a couple weeks and really do not want to be stuck in the middle of Texas in 120 degree heat (plus my warranty will have run out by then).

Any ideas on what this could be? Something to worry about before I'm able to take my car in? Or is this just not a big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
Have you inspected the tires?
Kind of silly and I am sure it's not the case but I will put it out there anyways... possibly the new tire stickers are still on it?

Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Have you inspected the tires?
Kind of silly and I am sure it's not the case but I will put it out there anyways... possibly the new tire stickers are still on it?
Well. I've looked from the outside but can't see anything. I'm a smallish female and don't really have the desire to get under the car or take off the tires or anything. But, would that cause the chirping sound too?

Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
When you were shopping for a car, did you look at the Chevy Aveo and say "Wow, this looks like a well made high quality car unlikely to have problems" or was it more like "Wow, this car is really cheaply made and very inexpensive, I hope it doesn't have a lot of problems!"

Yes, it sounds like something stuck in or on the tire.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 AM
C8N

If the stickers are partially off and crumbled, I guess it can sound similar.
Since you were saying that the sound is in sync with the tires, my initial guess is that something is on the tires.

Those stickers are usually on the thread of the tires so you are looking at the side profile, it may not be readily noticeable.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
...Is this my wife posting? LOL

It seems every time she gets in one of the cars, something goes wrong, LOL

Most likely you've got the fender liner rubbing against the tire or wheel somewhere, or possibly the axle is rubbing against something. Take it in and get it checked out, but it's probably an easy fix

Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 AM
C8N

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
...Is this my wife posting? LOL

HA! You are fortunate if she is at least noticing these sounds.
My car just popped up the maintenance reminder which I will be handling this weekend but my wife has not noticed it yet and she has been driving it for 3 days now.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:39 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
Yeah, the Aveo is about as far from gods automotive gift to man as you can get. My fiancés uncle bought one for his daughter and I had the "pleasure" of driving it a few times when I visited.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:48 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,594 times
Chirping from tire as you speed up or slow down could be something with brakes. Maybe something is warped or new pads will sometimes do this. If its a thumping I would check for a nail in the tread, not the side wall. Otherwise a thud could be wheel bearing or axle which I doubt on a 2010 car.

Battery dying, hopefully just bad luck. If its a new batter then either alternator isn't charging it up, or something is draining it while battery is off, and electrical issues arent fun.

Good luck

Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
When you were shopping for a car, did you look at the Chevy Aveo and say "Wow, this looks like a well made high quality car unlikely to have problems" or was it more like "Wow, this car is really cheaply made and very inexpensive, I hope it doesn't have a lot of problems!"

Yes, it sounds like something stuck in or on the tire.
I don't really need advice on the car I should or should've gotten. Before this i had a civic that leaked and burned oil like crazy and had a million other problems at 150k miles. And Hondas are supposed to last forever, right? Well. That was not the case for me, unfortunately.

I would have loved to have bought Toyota, however, I do not have a lot of money, and this was something I could afford. I was told that in the last two or three years the aveo has improved.

Anyway, it has 52,000 miles on it and I am hoping for the best if I take good care of it. The only reason I posted on here was to get help with the noise...it really doesn't make anything better to tell me I should have bought a better (and more expensive, not able to afford it) car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive