Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:36 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,582 times

Advertisements

Hmm, I'll be interested to see. I've only put a thousand miles on the car, and the tires were brand new when I got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 05:17 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
Granted, my last car I bought on craigslist and the previous owners turned out to be pretty dishonest.

This time, I bought my car from carmax. It's a 2010 Chevy aveo. Carmax service was great and supposedly they have their 125 point inspection policy, which is also great.

I'm still under a thirty day warranty. I have already had to have a bad battery replaced (within the first two weeks of owning the car), and now something else is making noise.

It seems to be coming from my driver side front wheel/tire. I can only hear it when I have my window open and especially when I'm driving next to a curb or a wall where the noise is bouncing off. It's sort of a flapping sound, similar to when you used to put a baseball card in your bike spokes. It speeds up and slows down in sync with the tire rotation (by the way, the tires are brand new).

So, it was doing that for a while, and now along with it it's also making a noise, also in sync with tire rotation, that sounds like a cricket.

This happens only when I'm moving forward, not in reverse, and I can hear it more when I'm going slow (I'm guessing just because the car itself is not making as much noise). The weird thing is, when i started hearing it last week, it stopped completely for a few days after I washed my car. Coincidence? I don't know, but it's back.

I will take the car in to carmax but am not able to for a couple of days. I figure I have nothing to lose since it's under warranty. But, does anyone have any experience with carmax regarding this type of thing? Will they fix something that is not necessarily "broken?" I'm driving from California to Louisiana in a couple weeks and really do not want to be stuck in the middle of Texas in 120 degree heat (plus my warranty will have run out by then).

Any ideas on what this could be? Something to worry about before I'm able to take my car in? Or is this just not a big deal?
Did you get the MaxCare ESP as well?

To answer your question, they will inspect the vehicle and see if they can replicate the sound, if they can they'll find out if it's something that meet the Carmax Standard or not, if it doesn't they'll fix it, if it does, they won't. If they admit an issue, but say it's not their responsibility to fix it, try talking to the Service Manager first, if the answer is the same, call and speak to a sales manager, they have a little more authority. And you'll get far further being nice/reasonable than by arguing/bickering.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Did you get the MaxCare ESP as well?

To answer your question, they will inspect the vehicle and see if they can replicate the sound, if they can they'll find out if it's something that meet the Carmax Standard or not, if it doesn't they'll fix it, if it does, they won't. If they admit an issue, but say it's not their responsibility to fix it, try talking to the Service Manager first, if the answer is the same, call and speak to a sales manager, they have a little more authority. And you'll get far further being nice/reasonable than by arguing/bickering.
Thank you. I know, I am pretty good at getting what I need to get done politely (definitely mo effective), I know I got a little snappy earlier in the thread, stressed out today!

Old 06-13-2013, 07:00 PM

774 posts, read 2,601,989 times
Look for a bad CV joint or a flat spot on the tire. Both will make the sound you mentioned.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 PM

119 posts, read 174,185 times
Could be tires brakes or CV joints. None of which are a huge deal.
Something as simple as a rock being stuck in the tread can cause a clicking sound.

As far as your taste in cars, remember, opinions are like *******s, everybody that disagrees with me is one.....Or how ever that saying goes.

One of the best cars I ever owned was a Chevy Metro.I was ridiculed every day for 15 years for driving one and told what a piece of crap they were. Ironically my POS car outlasted the cars of damn near everybody that mocked me.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 AM

486 posts, read 832,311 times
The 2010 Aveo has the lowest rating for Predicted Reliability at least according to JD Powers.

2010 Chevrolet Aveo LS Sedan Ratings, Prices, Trims, Summary | J.D. Power

Old 06-14-2013, 02:16 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
Know what you are buying. Do some research on the internet. See what others who own the same model have to say. Read about any factory recalls and mechanical issues too. Compare prices buy checking autotrader. Finally inspect the car inside and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive