Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:24 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times

Advertisements

StealthRabbit, was that Cinema Service truck yours? I was in the theatre industry for thirty years, and in the theatre supply part as well.

I LOVE Studebaker trucks, and I love all the equipment that truck must have hauled in it's day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 10:28 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
No. Driving a certain car is an experience. For example, when I have plenty of fuel around I like driving this one. But it does not mean that I have formed an attachment to it. In fact, if I get an offer that is good for me, I sell it in a heartbeat:

It has a 350 TBI motor that is in perfect shape, does not burn a drop of oil, has headers and stainless steel double tail-pipe tips at each side, and it purrs loudly on the road. But it's not a wife or girlfriend, nor a dog for me to be attached to
But what if, instead of the vehicle in the photo, it was a 1970 Chevelle SS454? Would you form an attachment to that? Most true car guys would.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I was, until retirement, a professional mechanic for over 40 years. I have been involved in drag racing since the 60's. I watched the NHRA drags from Epping today, did you? NHRA.com Great F/C final..!
I have owned and built hot boats, hot cars, dragsters, dune buggies, motorcycles, just about anything with a motor in it.
As a fleet manager for a government agency, I have bought and sold hundreds of vehicles of all kinds.
I've seen em all, drove em all, worked on em all, perhaps I'm just a little jaded, but vehicles don't impress me much. As long as I have a nice, clean, dependable car, I'm happy. My truck is 10 years old, but perfect, my car is 7 years old, but perfect. I could afford to write a check for several new cars. Not interested..
I still enjoy cruising through a car show and looking, but I just don't get too excited anymore...
When you've have had steak three meals a day for over forty years, steak doesn't excite you anymore..
One of the guys I worked with many years ago used to say, whenever a car came into the shop, "It's all iron" Can't get anymore truthful than that... It's just iron, nothing to get excited about.
No, I was not watching the NHRA drags today... I was at the all-GM car show!
See:

From what you wrote, you sound like a former or semi-car guy. Which is okay, too. I mean, whatever. BTW, I have also worked on engines.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:49 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
First car I ever owned, yes ('77 Toyota Celica). Put almost 200K on it and while that engine kept chugging along, the rest of the car was disintegrating (typical early gen Japanese car). Something about that first car as a teenager...

Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Yeah.
It's not necessarily the car itself, but the miles you shared together.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 AM

844 posts, read 1,656,710 times
It really depends on the selling price...

Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
Not only do I feel emotional, I keep a scrapbook of photos of all my old cars. Cars and dogs are two things that you will outlive many times over, but it always pains me to lose them

Old 06-24-2013, 01:56 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
But what if, instead of the vehicle in the photo, it was a 1970 Chevelle SS454? Would you form an attachment to that? Most true car guys would.

Still the same to me. Cars, like boats, ATV's, and so forth are just "things" (not people or pets). So, I don't form emotional attachments to them.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:10 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You must not be a car guy. A car guy never says, "It's just a car." Especially with something like a 1971 Hemi-'Cuda convertible (only 11 built).
Why would you even use that model as an example?

I'd be willing to bet there have been more tears shed over the sales of Vegas or Pintos than '71 Hemi Cudas just because so many more of them have been sold. And for so much less money.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:33 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Still the same to me. Cars, like boats, ATV's, and so forth are just "things" (not people or pets). So, I don't form emotional attachments to them.
Well, a house is a "thing" too, but people get emotional when selling them because of the memories associated with it. For many of us, that car we loved was the same way.

My brother and I still laugh at the memories of me sliding off the seat and into the glove box because of all the Armor-All he put on the seats of his beloved Shelby Charger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive