Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 04:32 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,355,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes they do a good job making it seem like a good deal, but it is not. What they are doing is taking your risk for a price. You can pay to have pretty much any risk covered by someone else. In some instances it is worth it and in some instances, it is a bad deal. It is widely demonstrated extended warranties fall into the bad deal category. Yes, for some people it will be a disaster to not have the warranty. but the likelihood of it being you is very small. When you buy or sell risk, you are gambling. In this case the odd are overwhelmingly in favor of the sellers.
All depends on the people really. My last 2009 wrangler had so many issues I was sick of dealing with it. If I have a $64k truck I can probabky afford a $1500 warrant. So what I make in about 3 days of work will cover my trucks mechanical issues for the next 5 years? Yeah, I can handle that. .

I agree they arent for everyone or for all vehicles. Sometimes, they do work out for certain people. If I had a $20k civic and made 50k a year I may not be as inclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
You make a good point. However, a diesel engine that makes it past the manufacturer's warranty period, is probably going to fun for another 300k-400k miles.

Also, look VERY carefully at the fine print. Keep in mind that they don't sell you those warranties for YOUR benefit.
I also paid $200 insurance for unlimited paintless dent removal for 5 years.

Well. Ive had the truck 6 months and while claybarring and waxing last weekend I leaned too hard on the hood and put a nice 2" crease right on the corner. Called up the warranty place, and today they fixed it perfectly under warranty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 PM

600 posts, read 657,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
If you improperly maintain it to the degree that it fails, then that's pretty bad. If you follow your maintenance schedule, you won't have a problem.

If they can't prove lack of maintenance caused the failure, you're good.

I just don't understand why this would be an issue though. You should always maintain your vehicle if you want it to be reliable, whether you have a service contract or not.
I understand taking care of your vehicle is a must, however sometimes things do go wrong even with a properly maintained vehicle. Especially since this was Ford's first car with the new EcoBoost twin turbo V6; I thought it was very important to have extended coverage...

The only reason the dealership threw in the free extended platinum warranty is because they knew I had a car waiting for me at Carmax that I was about to buy. that gave me the leverage to do some negotiating, it amazed me how stubborn these dealers were with their used car prices Carmax was essentially the best deal for my model, that used to not be the case if you're a good negotiator, which I am.

I had researched this buy for months and new what the car was really worth. This Lexus dealer was essentially trying to sell my MKS at a CPO price, even though they couldn't offer it as CPO because they weren't a Lincoln dealership. In the end I went with them because their car had lower mileage than Carmax's and it was more of an acceptable color for me; its Platinum White Metallic, the Carmax one was candy red. My car also has the self parking feature, the Carmax vehicle did not, although I probably won't use that feature that much its still nice to have to show off to friends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive