Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 01:39 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
People don't seem to understand what yield means anymore. It's such a simple meaning: give way to the other cars. Give way can also be translated as "get out or stay out of the way." Whether that means slow down, stop, or speed up is a judgment call that requires common sense (which is not as common as the name would imply).

Some people seem to get it in their heads that yield means "keep moving; don't stop under any circumstances."

What do you use for a dash cam? I've been thinking of getting one myself.
Between yielding and merging, they dont get it here.

I use this Veho Muvi HD

This post shows why I use this model. http://www.city-data.com/forum/30121733-post8.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 02:25 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
If you are being passed on the right, you are in the wrong lane.

I disagree.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:39 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Yeah, tell that to some of the city planners who put up stop signs in places like that.
That's what I hate about I-81, around Spring Mills, (and other places too, I'm sure) where DOT has a freakin Stop sign. Yeah, the flow of traffic here is going anywhere from 55 - 70mph or more and they expect people to merge into that [from a complete stop???] I personally think that stop sign should be placed elsewhere .
There are very, very few ramps on I-95 with a stop sign at the bottom of them. I think there are a couple in Arlington, but that's about it. Farther south, I've never seen one. Probably 99% of the ramps I've used have plenty of road to get up to speed and merge.

I've had a couple people tell me that their cars can't accelerate that fast...pfft. I have a 4cyl Camry and a 6cyl Grand Cherokee and they both have PLENTY enough power to get out of their own way and accelerate to highway speed on a ramp.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:42 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

I disagree.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:30 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How was that survey conducted? Did Gallup call them on their cellphone while they were driving? Did all respondents tell the truth, or did a lot of them say they didn't know people were backing up behind them, but were just being dix?

Survey sez . . .

I agree that the survey seems flawed. Here in NJ where driving in the left lane is illegal except for passing, there are signs every couple of miles on the left side of the road that say "Keep Right, Pass Left" or "Slower Traffic Keep Right". I don't know how anyone could pass 15 signs on their trip and not see them. So it seems apparent they see them and just continue to ignore them.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:37 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
The Highway Code

Overtaking
Quote:
268: Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.
Penalties

What you can be charged with for 'undertaking' (Passing a single vehicle by using a left-hand lane):

Careless and inconsiderate driving: £2,500 fine / Discretionary disqualification 3 to 9 points (12 points = minimum 6 month ban).

Old 06-28-2013, 03:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:

I disagree.
I posted earlier about my general disdain for people who toddle along in the left lane. I think there is a special room in hell for clueless drivers who drive slowly in the left lane.

BUT: Consider this scenario, which happens to me often. I sometimes commute on a busy 4-lane freeway (I-75 from Genesee into Oakland counties, Michigan.) It is mostly four lanes. In my work van I do not hot dog or speed generally, so my default is the number two lane. This allows me to cruise (theoretically) at 70-80 mph, while both avoiding the frequent on and off-ramp right lane traffic and allowing the faster lanes to pass me safely on the left.

But, and I see this and I am not kidding, every day: I am doing 70-80 in the number two lane. The one or two left lanes are wide open. Yet time after time, people will cross into the right lane to pass me on the right, when the left (passing) lane is wide open. It's like many people are afraid to drive in the Scary Left Lane.

I just realised, Baldrick is in the UK! So his right lane is actually the fast lane and the left lane is the toddler's lane. So of course he will disagree. We need to remember that this is an international form and not a US forum!

Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'll never understand why people will sit in the passing lane righteously doing the speed limit usually paralleling the car beside them so no one can pass,the only way you'll ever pass them is on the right. For any of these left lane campers please speak up,make me understand why its important to you to hold every one up..
If they're going the speed limit, what's the problem? Seriously, I saw a situation a while back where this happened. One driver got PO'd and passed on the right. He was the one who got caught in the speed trap. I'm guessing the driver in the left lane had a radar detector and knew of the speed trap.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:50 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Even if I'm speeding in the left lane. If someone is going faster than me and coming up behind me then I'm moving out of the way. I don't know why slower traffic feel the need to remain in close quarter contact with faster traffic. Let that faster person get in a possible accident as far away from you as possible. People seriously lack common sense. It's always safer to just move out of a speeder's way then to try to play commando.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:52 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Quote:

I disagree.
Yep because UK driving laws have any sort of a relevance in this thread. It doesn't. This is about the USA where we drive on the right side of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive