Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 08:16 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,022,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
If there is nothing to my right, I'm getting in it. Doing so reduces disruption of the traffic flow. People pick either side to pass. I dont mind yielding to faster traffic when it is necessary. If there are a bunch of cars entering the roadway, I'll move over a lane. After all, I am passing them and making it easier for them to merge into traffic. I'm usually left alone in the right lane because everyone else in clogging the other lanes. Every now and then, a driver gets impatient of the slower traffic in the left lane and start weaving in and out of lanes. Even though I don't drive in the left lane, this is why I get annoyed with people holding up the left lane.

Regardless whether I am in the center or the left lane, nothing changes. If I am not passing anyone, I'm getting out of the way.

The unwritten rule of the busy left lane (the Autobahn edition) - YouTube
Agreed. The far right lane is not reserved for the people coming down the ramps; they have to find their own way in and must yield to drivers already on the freeway, who have the right of way. If it's clear, I don't mind moving over to let them in, but I'm not going to force anyone to pass me on the right just because someone might come down a ramp.

The right lane is always your travel lane (unless it is an exit-only lane), the middle passes the right, and the left passes the middle. It's the same idea no matter how many lanes there are. That's the basic gist of the "keep right except to pass" rule as I understand it, and driving that way has never gotten me into any trouble. Then again, I don't use my car as a means to "prove a point" to others; nothing good ever comes from that type of behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Crystal clear?

My main problem with this thread is that if you happen to talk about speed limits automatically you are assumed to sit in left lane as theyyou believe you own it and police the road which is not correct.
What about those who happen to talk about not blocking the left lane, but are automatically assumed to be speed demons? Why doesn't that bother you?

I posted it before, but when you block the left lane, you are imposing your will on to others, but when someone speeds it is not imposing anything on anyone (unless accompanied with some other violation like tailgating). The left lane blocker is the one who thinks they are king of the road.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:06 AM

860 posts, read 2,195,020 times
Recently I was in Germany for about a month. After seeing how folks drive there it makes me dread coming back to the states. What can I say, Germans know how to drive. People don't mess around there, if you are in the passing or even middle lanes, you damn well better be sure you are actively and quickly passing and merging over back to the slow lane. It's a shame so many US drivers are stuck in full retard mode on the road.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
When driving there are many unwritten courtesies drivers use to peacefully co-exist on the roads together,one of those courtesies is acknowledging that the left lane is for faster moving motorists to use to pass slower moving motorists,knowing that for some one to now get in that faster paced passing lane with the sole intention of just slowing every one down is an extremely rude, discourteous,and selfish move
If you think some one is recklessly speeding just call 911 and alert the proper authorities as they are paid and trained to deal with such situations,trying to be the proverbial power tripping control freak vigilante and taking matters into your own hands is just plain ignorant and definitely increases the potential for road rage incidents which in this day and age can sometimes prove deadly.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:38 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,480,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Oh, back in California. Back in 2000, my aunt had a severe heart attack. I had a car with a punk that deliberately went slow, swerved to not allow me to pass. He had the middle finger up and all. At the time, I could have killed him. I missed her last moments. She died within minutes of me arriving. My grandparents were lucky enough to be with her before she passed though.
Sorry to hear that. That must have been an $%&hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What about those who happen to talk about not blocking the left lane, but are automatically assumed to be speed demons? Why doesn't that bother you?

I posted it before, but when you block the left lane, you are imposing your will on to others, but when someone speeds it is not imposing anything on anyone (unless accompanied with some other violation like tailgating). The left lane blocker is the one who thinks they are king of the road.
Because of the posts like this:

Quote:

One screws up traffic for everybody when it is ignored, the other does not. One, when ignored, causes accidents and road rage while the other does not. One generates lots of money for the government while the other is good for the citizens (guess which one the cops focus on). One is reasonable in every state (if evey state had that as law) at any time, and the other is manipulated for different reasons, sometimes for safety, and other times to generate cash. They're not equal.
I don't why you seem to think people who speed do that only in right lane. They do it everywhere so don't try to justify it. Road rage only because of left lane blockers and not speeders! Say left lane blockers are bad but the speeders are equally bad. If you tell me speeder is somewhat not that bad and the guy who is blocking left lane is the one who represents pure evil.....

Old 07-06-2013, 07:30 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,508,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
Always in a hurry to get nowhere.

This is the excuse I hear most often by slow pokes who are trying to match the EPA mileage test results.

The truth is those going faster DO have some place to go while those creeping along very obviously have no place to go.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:39 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,508,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
In heavy traffic no one needs to be speeding to excess creating hazard driving conditions. .

Can you explain to us how it's even possible to speed in heavy traffic?

Old 07-06-2013, 07:39 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,480,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
This is the excuse I hear most often by slow pokes who are trying to match the EPA mileage test results.

The truth is those going faster DO have some place to go while those creeping along very obviously have no place to go.
dkf747 - see above. What do you expect me to get out of it?

Old 07-06-2013, 07:49 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post

Because of the posts like this:

I don't why you seem to think people who speed do that only in right lane. They do it everywhere so don't try to justify it. Road rage only because of left lane blockers and not speeders! Say left lane blockers are bad but the speeders are equally bad. If you tell me speeder is somewhat not that bad and the guy who is blocking left lane is the one who represents pure evil.....
I don't understand why you think I am defending speeders, and consider left lane blockers pure evil. I'm not, and I don't. That is not what I am saying at all. I'm only saying that left lane blocking effects everybody, while speeding does not affect others to the same degree.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:28 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Quote:
I don't understand why you think I am defending speeders, and consider left lane blockers pure evil. I'm not, and I don't. That is not what I am saying at all. I'm only saying that left lane blocking effects everybody, while speeding does not affect others to the same degree.
Sure it does. Speeders have a tendency to tailgate, to weave in and out of traffic, and in general to drive recklessly, all the while patting themselves on the back about what excellent drivers they are. The best drivers I have ever known personally, the ones who are professional racetrack drivers, for the most part drive very conservatively on the public roadways and never, ever, speed. Why? Because they ARE excellent drivers, they know that they are sharing the roadways with people of varying degrees of experience with vehicles of varying conditions and capabilities and know what can happen if you start pretending you're a race car driver in that situation and it's not pretty, and they have absolutely NOTHING to prove because they've proved it where it really counts - on a racetrack up against other excellent drivers. Also, it's somewhat like being a black belt in a martial art - you don't get into fights with the general public because if there's a fatal injury, guess who's responsible?

Speeders, on the other hand (and those who drive below the speed limit in the left lane, as well) are demonstrating to one and all what BAD drivers they are and how they really don't have a clue how to drive on public roadways. Trust me, no one is impressed except other speeders who likewise don't have a clue. What comes to mind when seeing this kind of behavior is "jerk" and, most often, "compensating".

There's a reason all those car ads have "closed track with professional driver, don't try this at home" on them. That's because everybody knows that some people will because they just know they're a great driver, and those are the people who really, really shouldn't.

Bottom line, if someone is driving the speed limit in any lane, they shouldn't pose a problem to a really good driver. Because they won't be in the way of a really good driver, and the person that is all bent out of shape because someone driving the speed limit is in their way, is a really bad driver.

And what is this blaming road rage on anyone, ANYONE AT ALL, other than the road rager? They are entirely responsible for their inappropriate actions. The very thought that someone would say that someone who is obeying the traffic laws CAUSES road rage is just mind-boggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive