Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 07:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Can you explain to us how it's even possible to speed in heavy traffic?
Many times on I-95 or NJTurnpike traffic can be quite heavy yet be moving along at a high rate of speed usually 10-20mph over the speed limit, somewhat reminiscent of a NASCAR event. I'm not comfortable with my little car going that fast so i mostly stay in the granny lane/s and respect the passing lane for those that choose to go faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 09:43 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Oh, back in California. Back in 2000, my aunt had a severe heart attack. I had a car with a punk that deliberately went slow, swerved to not allow me to pass. He had the middle finger up and all. At the time, I could have killed him. I missed her last moments. She died within minutes of me arriving. My grandparents were lucky enough to be with her before she passed though.
Sounds like you both were driving like crazy people. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Why are you driving in the left lane if not to pass and if not to exit left? You didn't answer that. I don't think there is a good answer, so I guess that's why nobody has actually tried to justify it in that way. It's only justified by "You can't expect someone to move out of your way!" That doesn't justify driving in the left for non-passing, non-exiting reasons. That just justifies it for "F you speedersSS!!!!" reasons. Which I don't care about.
I never said I sat in the left lane for 20 miles. In the state I live, it is not illegal to drive in the left lane. Most highways here are 2 lanes and there's far too much traffic for everyone to stay in the right lane.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Crystal clear?

My main problem with this thread is that if you happen to talk about speed limits automatically you are assumed to sit in left lane as theyyou believe you own it and police the road which is not correct.
I've had several on here claim I sit in the left lane. Never said I did. In fact, the highways here only have 2 lanes at the most. And yes people drive regularly in both lanes. There's too much traffic here not to use both lanes and we don't have a keep right law even though many are claiming we do.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
This is the excuse I hear most often by slow pokes who are trying to match the EPA mileage test results.

The truth is those going faster DO have some place to go while those creeping along very obviously have no place to go.
Not necessarily true. Many of us actually leave to get to our destinations with plenty of time to spare. One never knows what you may encounter with traffic on your way. Here, there could be cows and tractors in the road, a flock of Canadian geese taking a Sunday stroll across the road, deer glaring at you, crazy rain, snow, ice, and not to mention the numerous accidents usually by someone not driving for road conditions or distracted by something.

Sorry, but I'm not going to go 90 to get somewhere. If you don't like that, then that's too bad. There are speed limits for a reason. Not every vehicle can also handle some speeds on some roads. Driving my SUV on many of our roads is entirely different than driving my sports car on them.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:36 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Sure it does. Speeders have a tendency to tailgate, to weave in and out of traffic, and in general to drive recklessly, all the while patting themselves on the back about what excellent drivers they are. The best drivers I have ever known personally, the ones who are professional racetrack drivers, for the most part drive very conservatively on the public roadways and never, ever, speed. Why? Because they ARE excellent drivers, they know that they are sharing the roadways with people of varying degrees of experience with vehicles of varying conditions and capabilities and know what can happen if you start pretending you're a race car driver in that situation and it's not pretty, and they have absolutely NOTHING to prove because they've proved it where it really counts - on a racetrack up against other excellent drivers. Also, it's somewhat like being a black belt in a martial art - you don't get into fights with the general public because if there's a fatal injury, guess who's responsible?

Speeders, on the other hand (and those who drive below the speed limit in the left lane, as well) are demonstrating to one and all what BAD drivers they are and how they really don't have a clue how to drive on public roadways. Trust me, no one is impressed except other speeders who likewise don't have a clue. What comes to mind when seeing this kind of behavior is "jerk" and, most often, "compensating".

There's a reason all those car ads have "closed track with professional driver, don't try this at home" on them. That's because everybody knows that some people will because they just know they're a great driver, and those are the people who really, really shouldn't.

Bottom line, if someone is driving the speed limit in any lane, they shouldn't pose a problem to a really good driver. Because they won't be in the way of a really good driver, and the person that is all bent out of shape because someone driving the speed limit is in their way, is a really bad driver.

And what is this blaming road rage on anyone, ANYONE AT ALL, other than the road rager? They are entirely responsible for their inappropriate actions. The very thought that someone would say that someone who is obeying the traffic laws CAUSES road rage is just mind-boggling.
None of the above is reasoned thinking. It's all emotion. You never responded when I pointed out the differences. The fact is that blocking the left lane clogs up the road, speeding does not. When someone is blocking the left lane they are not obeying the law.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
None of the above is reasoned thinking. It's all emotion. You never responded when I pointed out the differences. The fact is that blocking the left lane clogs up the road, speeding does not. When someone is blocking the left lane they are not obeying the law.
And when someone is speeding, they are not obeying the law. What do you not get about the fact that BOTH are wrong and BOTH are dangerous and cause problems for other drivers on the roadways?

And it wasn't all emotion, but I'm sure you had an emotional reaction to it. And I'm pretty sure why you did.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:12 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,510 times
Left Lane Hog on the I-5 fails to shoulder check - YouTube

Mini Van Left Lane Hog - So Annoying!!! Just Move Over... - YouTube

The videos speaks for itself.

Last edited by Phyxius; 07-06-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 12:28 PM

In the first video, the driver wasn't able to move over because there were cars there. In the second video, there was a time when there were cars in the right lane and the driver would have been very close to them. Maybe they weren't comfortable climbing up someone's butt. After the vehicles exit, no idea why they didn't move over. Maybe they were tired of someone riding their rear end and just chose to ignore them. That stretch of I90 does have a ton of merging and exiting traffic so I could see why someone wouldn't want to be in the right lane.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:42 PM

872 posts, read 1,262,828 times
That image is great.

Having lived in CA for several years, I'll have you know CO drivers are even worse with this, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive