Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:49 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
These left lane slowpokes in California are killing me
Who is in the left lane in the pic? H'm. Just saw to near misses today. One on the east side of I-95 and one on the west side as you passed over. People in the right lane waiting til the last minute to squeeze in. One size statement is worse than those one size socks to fit all circumstances. It is a fact using the word "All" is a favorite of professors to make you think on tests. They even warn you to be careful before answering. Still they get people to flunk because all is a very broad statement and is not always true. You can't stay in your lane every day all the way if traffic dictates you get in a lane for a turn or exit left or right. Slowpokes can be just as a deadly threat in any lane including the right lane. They still are an obstacle to the safe flow of moving traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 10:50 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Several years ago I read about a survey of such people; sorry, I don't have a link.

But anyhow, the overwhelming majority were simply unaware that there were people backing up behind them because they were puttering along in the left lane.

Unaware! They were unaware! Clueless! Had no clue! Just minding their own business on the road and everyone else be damned.

So if that's the case. then it follows that the overwhelming majority of drivers are simply clueless about what is going on, on all four sides of them while driving. Which on personal observation over the years, appears to be the case.

So those of us who drive defensively and are lerts - high fives! We prevent a LOT of accidents and annoyances.
It's not just clueless, it is also inconsiderate.

Go to any supermarket and you will find the same behavior from people pushing carts down the isle. They speed up slow down and even stop right in place - even when they know someone else is shopping directly behind them or coming from the other direction.

The thought of pulling to the side when they slow or stop never occurs to them because they feel that it is their right to be were they are.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:38 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
"Anyone who drives slower than I do, is an idiot. Anyone who drives faster than I do, is a maniac."

Hear hear to the folks who pointed out that "inconsiderate" behavior is the problem, not badly-structured laws or lack of enforcement. Any one of the motorists around you (from that $500 pickup truck driver to the chauffeur of the $500,000 Bentley and everyone in between) holds the power to kill you, your passengers, and yes, themselves at any moment via any small decision. You have to respect that driver's power over your life and react accordingly, even if they aren't respecting your wish to stay safe and continue your journey.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:25 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
He nearly rear ended me before swerving to pass and then cut back over so fast to avoid missing the left turn he wanted to make at the same place I was turning left.
Last call at 200 am

Old 02-12-2015, 11:41 AM

39,857 posts, read 26,482,831 times
It...
IS....
ALIVE

Old 02-12-2015, 12:15 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are being passed on the right, you are in the wrong lane.

To answer the op\s original question i'd conclude that after 400 replies the overwhelming majority of posters would agree that yes you're in the wrong lane..
There are always exceptions though. Some people are impatient and will just try to find any hole to go faster, never mind if you're already going 85.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:19 PM

30 posts, read 34,907 times
Yep! It seems so simple. If you're not going faster than the cars to your right, get out of your lane and change lanes to the right.

Sheesh! It's just common sense, but unfortunately there's a lot of bad drivers out there.

The on-ramp where I get on in the morning is crazy short. It's on a 2 lane highway. A couple of times a week some damn fool who knows the ramp is right there, effing blocks me when no one is next to them on the left! No one even close!! WTH? So, I slow down or speed up to try to merge correctly and they speed up or slow down to block me. Just move over so people can get on the damn freeway already!

It makes things so much easier when people actually use their brains. If you know a big merge is coming up give a space in between cars. Duh!!

Old 02-12-2015, 12:23 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
If I am in the left lane of our four lane expressway at the speed limit and traffic to the right of me is also at my speed and you come up behind me then too bad. There is no passing lane in our area as all are cruising lanes. You are inconviencing me because you want to speed.

On the turnpike where it is two lanes only that is a different issue. Speeds in use and posted are higher as well.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-12-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 12:39 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It...
IS....
ALIVE
Zombies tend to be pretty slow; I suspect every state would require them to stay in the right lane.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:14 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
I saw a transport truck on the interstate once with the following on the back of his trailer:

<--- Passing Side - Suicide--->
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive