Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Car dealerships don't care how many units they sell a month in most cases. Salespeople, on the other hand, do sometimes have monthly sales quotas that they have to fill. So if the salesman you're working with is a little short at the end of the month he or she might work a little harder for you to get a deal; but the selling price still has to be approved by the sales manager or GM so ultimately their final bottom dollar isn't affected. And there's always the chance that you'll wind up with a salesman who has already made his quota and night try to delay the sale until the first of the month if he thinks he can get away with it.
That pretty much sums it up. Dealers aren't always concerned about end-of-month numbers, but they do want to clear out last year's models to make room for the new ones.

So I think August-September is best if you're willing to take what they have left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:06 PM

607 posts, read 2,368,371 times
Follow up....so I found a '05 Honda that has 80,000 miles. It is the top of the line model for that year and everything looks well cared for. The car fax said it was single owner and clean. I took it for a good test ride and it felt solid. I have 48 hours to close the deal. They wanted one price and I knocked it down from there. They offered a 2 year motor and tranny warranty for an extra $950. I don't know if I should do the deal and take the extra warranty considering the pilots have a very good track record. The reason I am considering it is because the vehicle is 7 years old. Any thoughts????

Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I was looking at a 2002 Subaru at a dealer. They wanted $4,500 for a car that had extensive repairs and 165,000 miles. It still needed some rust repair that was included in the price. I found a very similar car on Craigslist for the same price, no rust and 75,000 miles. I have bought the second car.

Remember dealers have to cover overhead and commissions so their cars are going to be more expensive even if they are not trying to cheat. Never buy a used car that you have not had a skilled mechanic check out.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
If you are shopping for a used car that sells quickly (like a Honda or Toyota), there is no sense in trying to buy at a certain time. A clean used Honda Accord or CR-V will not sit for long on a lot. If you find what you like, be prepared to act and negotiate then. These cars arrive as tradeins or when bought at auction. So it is not as if the dealer just got a train load of new pickup trucks with many to choose from.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:41 PM

37 posts, read 45,810 times
With over 30 years in the car dealership business I can tell you this

Dealership owners work monthly sale targets, new and used car sale managers have quotas to meet, when exceeded, bonus cash is paid, new and used car salespeople have the same deal.

So to get the best price on a new or used car, start in the beginning of the month, shop around, road test the cars you like and make your decision at your pace , don't be rushed, then check the prices on truecar.com and return to the dealer in the
last 3 days before the months end, not the last day. If the dealership has no chance of meeting their quotas on the last day of the month , the deal would be as good as 3 days before the end of the month when they still have a chance to meet their sales target.

Chas

Old 04-04-2016, 06:11 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Yup...car salesman...right down there with realtors and lawyers i]n term of ethics.
It's really my experience that realtors, car salespeople and Doctors are the ones you can't trust. A lawyer will tell you up front he's going to scr*w you!

I put Doctors on my list because I've been screwed by many of them. My last regular Doctor always used to try to sell me something, that at the very least involved a blood test. Well, I go to his office one time and it's locked up tight, seems he go indicted for working with the lab doing the blood work getting kickbacks. He's now practicing at Club Fed.

For used cars the end of the month might be good, only for someones quota. It really depends on how long they've been sitting on the car. I sold cars years ago, I learned 2 things about used cars. No one knows how much the dealership paid for the car, whereas new car dealer invoice price can be found online. A buyer can't go down the street and compare apples to apples with the dealer down the street. If I got a blue model with 18,000 miles on it, the odds of a dealer down the street having the same car are slim to none.

Don't assume if it's a new car dealer that the "used cars" on their lots are trade ins. Many new car dealers buy used cars at the auctions. Because of the first reason I gave above, usually the profits on used cars are higher, and there isn't the problem of scratches, etc. because, "Hey it's a used car."

Old 04-06-2016, 08:35 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Any day that ends in a Y is a good day to buy a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive