U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:20 PM

938 posts, read 1,027,020 times
Default How long do tires last?

I have a 2005 Odyssey with the original set of tires. The car only has 32k miles on it but I noticed the tire walls have small cracks in them. I am thinking of replacing them soon, but not sure if I should wait till fall or do it now. Should I be concerned with the cracks and do 8 year old tires okay to drive even if they still have some treads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 PM

1,318 posts, read 916,704 times
Tire do have a shelf life as oxygen in the atmosphere tends to slowly break down the compounds in rubber along with sunlight. So tires that sit and don't get used can still age. The industry recommendation is 6 years, and there will be date codes on the tires indicating the year of manufacture.

Without seeing the cracks, can't say if they are safe or not. I always say that the most important safety feature on a car is its tires because its the only part of the tire that touches the road. You also get what you pay for with tires.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 07-07-2013 at 08:37 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 PM

3,981 posts, read 3,199,163 times
All tires are different. Some tires will last well over 50k miles with proper rotation and alignment. Others, you'll be lucky to get 5k out of them.

Bottom line is that those 8 yr old tires will not perform to the same level as a brand new, exact same tire. They will take a longer distance to brake on, and will not have as much grip. However, if you still have decent tread left, it isn't a big deal to wait til fall to replace them if you're just running errands around town. If you were planning a road trip or something, I'd replace the tires first.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:29 PM

774 posts, read 558,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Tire do have a shelf life as oxygen in the atmosphere tends to slowly break down the compounds in rubber along with sunlight. So tires that sit and don't get used can still age. The industry recommendation is 6 years, and there will be date codes on the tires indicating the year of manufacture.

Without seeing the cracks, can't say if they are safe or not. I always say that the most important safety feature on a car is its tires because its the only part of the tire that touches the road.
Yep... it always amazes me that people will economize so aggressively with something so important to their family's health and well-being. I'm cheap with a lot of things but not tires.

OP, your tires are past their life expectancy in years, not miles. Particularly for a vehicle which is kept outside, tires don't last much more than 5-6 years due to environmental stressors particularly sunlight and temperature extremes. True, you can still drive on them, but sidewall cracks are a 'canary in a coalmine'.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 PM

883 posts, read 1,854,862 times
Your car might actually have been manufactured before 2005, look at the door label. In addition, the tires are going to be older than the car. You can look at the sidewall and the year/week of built would be there.
The general consensus is that the shelf life for tires is ~5 years. Especially on a heavy car such as a minivam, I would be cautious. Your life depends on the tires and brakes more than anything else.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 PM

9,930 posts, read 4,712,753 times
I own a 2003 Impala with the original Tiger Paw tires still on it. {I am the original/only owner.}

The tires look fine....no cracks, plenty of tread....don't lose air.

The car has 31,000 miles.

Do I really need to replace these tires?

Old 07-07-2013, 09:50 PM

774 posts, read 558,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I own a 2003 Impala with the original Tiger Paw tires still on it. {I am the original/only owner.}

The tires look fine....no cracks, plenty of tread....don't lose air.

The car has 31,000 miles.

Do I really need to replace these tires?
Maybe not then, in contradiction to what I said earlier in the thread.

I replaced tires that were six years old but they were showing sidewall cracking by that age.

If you have a trustworthy tire shop nearby, you can take them in for an analysis. My guy actually said (on another car) that the tires did not need replacing. Keep your money in your pocket, he said. Next time I went in he'd been replaced by another manager

Old 07-07-2013, 09:58 PM

7,883 posts, read 15,632,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
I have a 2005 Odyssey with the original set of tires. The car only has 32k miles on it but I noticed the tire walls have small cracks in them. I am thinking of replacing them soon, but not sure if I should wait till fall or do it now. Should I be concerned with the cracks and do 8 year old tires okay to drive even if they still have some treads?
BostonMike and Archguy are absolutely correct, Praxis . . .

Most Tire Experts agree that SIX YEARS is the max for tires. That's the age of the tires determined by the build date, NOT the vehicle. Most tires on new vehicles are from ONE to TWO YEARS older than the actual vehicle so you are probably long overdue.

Definitely not worth the risk.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:07 PM

9,930 posts, read 4,712,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Maybe not then, in contradiction to what I said earlier in the thread.

I replaced tires that were six years old but they were showing sidewall cracking by that age.

If you have a trustworthy tire shop nearby, you can take them in for an analysis. My guy actually said (on another car) that the tires did not need replacing. Keep your money in your pocket, he said. Next time I went in he'd been replaced by another manager

I have learned one thing.....I have always just checked the tread.....from now on I will keep an eye out for cracks in the sidewalls.

{When I first read this thread....I went out in the garage and looked for cracks with a flashlight. LOL}

I don't know anything about any local tire shops, but I do trust the guys who change the oil.....and I always ask them to check the air pressure on the tires. Maybe from now on I should ask them to look the tires over real good while they are at it.

BTW....what brand of tires do you think are best?

Old 07-07-2013, 10:11 PM

1,318 posts, read 916,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

BTW....what brand of tires do you think are best?
For...

No such thing as the one absolute best tire brand. There are many good tire brands. Some do some thing better than others like comfort, road noise, wear, grip, etc.

My advice, browse sites like www.tirerack.com and read the reviews people give for various tires.

Having sports cars growing up, tires were a very big part of my budget. I used to wear a set of tires out in under 10k miles just from auto crossing. I ran cheap tires, I ran pricey tires. I came to find out you get what you pay for and to stay away from cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive