Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,056,965 times

Advertisements

Inspired by this comment in another thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...en-copied.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Ford fusion stole Aston Martin's grill.
Toyota FJ40 and Land Rover copied the Willy's Jeep.
I think the Aston Martin DB9 and Vantage are two of the best looking cars out there right now. What makes them even more desirable is their rarity (and extremely high price).

There's no question that Ford used a very similar grille design on their new Fusion. It's not a terrible looking car, but like most family sedans, it is big & tall - not extremely sporty looking.

I think that the Fusion sort of cheapens the Aston Martin look by:

1- Saturating the car market with the grille.
and
2- Putting the grille on a relatively big clunky car.

Again, not saying the Fusion is bad, but when I see that grille I expected a very sleek car, not a family sedan. Anyone else think that? Am I just being unreasonable because I really like the Aston Martins?

I know that Ford owns a partial stake in Aston Martin. Wouldn't they want to keep the exclusivity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 03:05 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,885,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Inspired by this comment in another thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...en-copied.html

I think the Aston Martin DB9 and Vantage are two of the best looking cars out there right now. What makes them even more desirable is their rarity (and extremely high price).

There's no question that Ford used a very similar grille design on their new Fusion. It's not a terrible looking car, but like most family sedans, it is big & tall - not extremely sporty looking.

I think that the Fusion sort of cheapens the Aston Martin look by:

1- Saturating the car market with the grille.
and
2- Putting the grille on a relatively big clunky car.

Again, not saying the Fusion is bad, but when I see that grille I expected a very sleek car, not a family sedan. Anyone else think that? Am I just being unreasonable because I really like the Aston Martins?

I know that Ford owns a partial stake in Aston Martin. Wouldn't they want to keep the exclusivity?
Does Ford still own any part of AM? I was under the impression that they haven't for years.

*EDIT* They sold in 2007

Old 07-08-2013, 03:10 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,927,262 times
...and? What's the point of this thread? Chrysler300 is a massive ripoff and it was one of the best things Chrysler has done in the last ten years. Kia and Hyundai copy particular items from high end BMW's and Audi's.

Copying high end models of anything has been done forever with any retail items, shoes, watches, shirts...not sure why vehicles are any different.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:27 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,646,647 times
So Ford should apologize for making a good looking car? To whom, the people, all 50 of them, who take umbrage that it resembles an Aston Martin?

Old 07-08-2013, 03:35 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,885,870 times
The same people defending Ford for blatantly aping Aston are the same people jumping down Hyundai/Kia's throat for sharing individual insignificant styling elements from other manufacturers.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:44 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,646,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The same people defending Ford for blatantly aping Aston are the same people jumping down Hyundai/Kia's throat for sharing individual insignificant styling elements from other manufacturers.
I was unaware I'd been criticizing Hyundai, thanks for clueing me in.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:52 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,190,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Hmm. can you prove that I've jumped down Hyundai/Kia's throat anywhere? I like their cars.

And I like the Fusion, though I only see a slight passing resemblance to the Aston (Which is my favorite modern car). I don't think it cheapens Aston at all any more than the Datsun 240Z cheapened the Ferrari 275 GTB.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:21 PM

16,547 posts, read 17,310,562 times
If anything cheapens Aston Martin it's this POS;

The Aston Martin Cygnet

In Aston Martin's defense I think they have produced it to get round European Union laws on improving the average fuel consumption of the range.

Bizarre, but I think true.

I'm looking forward to the Fusion equivalent arriving over here sometime.

I might see if I can hire one in the US on my next visit.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:24 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,999,856 times
I think the new Fusion is not tall and clunky. It has a long lean shape compared to its competition.

If only the powertrain were as good as the styling.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:28 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,667,404 times
Hyundai/Kia. The martyr of the automotive industry. The Fusion is hideous. The Aston Martin looks good. Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive