U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:26 AM

70 posts, read 253,748 times
There are 2 roundabouts in Clearwater Beach FL. The one that comes off the Memorial Causeway and connects to the rest of the beach is always very busy. I can't count how many times I was almost hit by a snowbird or tourist drifting into my lane or cutting in front of me. Glad I don't have to deal with that Tampa Bay traffic anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 AM

8,183 posts, read 10,801,637 times
I like the roundabouts too. They seem to keep the traffic flowing.
You get a few idiots that just don't get it but then these same idiots will run the stop signs too.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:31 AM

137 posts, read 568,855 times
I love Roundabouts! It did take a short time to get used to them when we 1st moved to England, but the thing I like the best is if you need to turn around you just go round the roundabout and go back the way you came. (Instead of trying to find a convenient place to turn around) Several times when I've been lost I've gone round and round and round and I'm sure people looked at me like I was nuts, but hey, I got there in the end. Lol!

Old 11-09-2007, 05:20 PM

6,351 posts, read 12,548,901 times
"Look, kids; Big Ben!...Look, kids; Big Ben!...Look, Kids; Big Ben!" Actually, I think roundabouts make great sense when you know your way around. Driving in England for the first time (and on the "wrong" side of the road, to boot...) was an interesting experience! Don't know how I'd have gotten anywhere without my wife in the passenger seat navigating!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 05-31-2008 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: "speling"...

Old 11-09-2007, 06:02 PM

575 posts, read 2,125,250 times
Roundabouts are good and keep traffic moving. Seems the only solution in the united states when there is a traffic problem is to make the intersection bigger with more lanes and add more lights. Where if you just want to turn you end up having to wait 5 minutes for the light to cycle through so you can have a green turn arrow instead of just going through a round about and taking the street you want. Doesn't make sense!

Old 11-09-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
"Look, kids; Big Ben!...Look, kids; Big Ben!...Look, Kids; Big Ben!" Actually, I think roundabouts make great sense when you know your way araound. Driving in England for the first time (and on the "wrong" side of the road, to boot...) was an interesting experience! Don't know how I'd have gotten anywhere without my wife in the passenger seat navigating!
LOL!! Exactly, Crew Chief.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:53 PM

14,991 posts, read 19,749,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oddly enough, I didn't notice any roundabouts in Lawrence, but I spent most of my time in the older/downtown area.

Roundabouts are a great idea; however, some municipalities getting served with ADA lawsuits because the roundabouts don't provide a way for pedestrians to cross. That will have to be addressed somehow.

Meanwhile, from the "Unclear on the Concept" files: a roundabout in Des Plaines IL that has stoplights.
I think Lawrence, KS added a few roundabouts in the past year or two. A couple of roundabouts are found on the north side of town near I-70.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:08 AM

35,683 posts, read 53,435,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Do I like roundabouts? Depends on what car Im in.

Now you see, roundabouts in a, say, Chevy Astro just suck. But a roundabout in a Evo can be quite fun.
I think
this guy has the right idea LOL

Old 11-10-2007, 10:11 AM

That is hilarious! Where's my exit, where's my exit......LOL!

Old 11-10-2007, 03:48 PM

579 posts, read 2,312,957 times
Roundabouts are fine when people can use them but most people cant especially when it involves 2 lanes or more, and as in England roundabouts are at the ends of every road just about and the flow of traffic is ok when traffic is light but when traffic is heavy they suck big time and would be much better with the use of traffic lights to control the flow more.

They are fun in a RWD car especially in the rain/snow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive