Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:36 PM

15,681 posts, read 20,176,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You know, although it is not a peeve, it raises an interesting question in my mind.;;

I used to commute weekly to a job for several years, that required me to drive 100 miles home, leaving at 6-pm every Sunday. There was always 2-3 times the density of traffic in the winter, when it was dark, than in the summer when it was light. It made me think that people sit in their house and keep looking out the window, and as soon as it gets dark, they get in their car and drive somewhere.
Follows the schedule of school

Most corporate types tend to drop their kids off at school in the winter and then head to work. So traffic around 9AM in the winter was heavy and a typical 8hr day would put them leaving the office around 5PM. LEaving my home at 6AM would always find an empty highway

In the summer when schools out, people want to leave early to enjoy the summer. So they leave earlier. Now 6AM puts me in traffic, and then come 3-4PM the roads are heavy with traffic once again.

I leave my home at 6AM all the time. Can't wait for school to start again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:53 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,085,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
<snip>

If I were give the choice between those two types of drivers, or having them all replaced with aggressive and rude drivers, I would take the latter any day. At least the aggressive and the rude are usually predictable.
I have to agree with you that nervous, indecisive drivers are worse to deal with than aggressive ones!

Basically any driver who is oblivious to others on the road. That includes lack of turn signals, people who meander onto the freeway just expecting other drivers to accomodate them, those who don't use lights in bad weather or clear snow away from tail and brake-lights...well, the list goes on.

Also I am reminded that according to studies (so they say) the vast majority of drivers complain about other drivers and claim to be above average and beyond reproach, whether they are or not....

Old 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,022,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I mean, it's not like you can't see that person is going to have to merge into traffic. I just move on over, like semi trucks do, AND if a semi is in that lane next to me, I move over one MORE lane so the semi can move over, and I flash my brights so he knows it's all good.
There are times when it is very appropriate to move over, if you can, but this is a situation where nobody should have had to make way. I'm talking about ONE car coming down the ramp, clearly able to accelerate, and having plenty of room to get in front or or behind me (his choice as to which). This is not a matter of creating space for merging cars, there is plenty of space all around. Of course, if the merging car doesn't get it, I'll speed up or move over--it's better than having an accident, but the very fact that I have to in the first place in that kind of situation is an epic fail from the merging driver.

Quote:
My biggest pet peeve is the damn crotch-rockets, buzzing by you at 100+ mph, weaving in and out of traffic, popping wheelies, etc. Yesterday there were three guys on crotch-rockets doing this at what they've now said was 150+ and one of them crashed after a car in front of him switched lanes unexpectedly. He was toast, and he cause a pileup of the other bikes and a couple other cars.

I wonder if those other bikers will learn from that.
Those guys are truly stupid, in my opinion. They weave in and out of traffic, don't use turn signals, and often criminally exceed the speed limit (30 over the limit here turns a traffic infraction into a criminal offense). I know, not all of them do, and there are as many idiots on four wheels as there are on two, but there's a lot more potential to experience a world of pain on two!

Old 07-15-2013, 03:18 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,092,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
For example:
I'm driving along the Interstate. There is a large gap in front of my car and a large gap behind my car. I come upon an on-ramp. There is one car coming down that ramp. This driver does not bother picking out a space to merge into; he or she doesn't even bother looking. I end up either having to speed up, slow down, or move over to avoid hitting this person, because he or she would otherwise be right beside my car at the merge point--in spite of the amount of space both in front and behind my car!
I have the opposite pet peeve. I hate when I'm trying to merge at an on-ramp and people are just cruising along in the right lane with no intention of exiting soon, and don't move over to the left lane to let people get on the damn highway.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I have the opposite pet peeve. I hate when I'm trying to merge at an on-ramp and people are just cruising along in the right lane with no intention of exiting soon, and don't move over to the left lane to let people get on the damn highway.
It's a courtesy if they do (and I will if I can), but as far as I know the onus (legally) is on the merger to adjust to freeway traffic, not the other way around. Check your state laws.

It's a whole lot easier to merge into oncoming traffic for the person coming down a ramp than it is for the people already on the freeway to accomodate to someone meandering onto the freeway. And as someone who used to drive a semi for a living I can assure you that a: semis are often relegated to the right lane and b: they can't just dodge out of your way to make it easier for you.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:33 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,294,784 times
Talking That's an easy one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You know, although it is not a peeve, it raises an interesting question in my mind.;;

I used to commute weekly to a job for several years, that required me to drive 100 miles home, leaving at 6-pm every Sunday. There was always 2-3 times the density of traffic in the winter, when it was dark, than in the summer when it was light. It made me think that people sit in their house and keep looking out the window, and as soon as it gets dark, they get in their car and drive somewhere.
Because in the summer it stays daylinght til after 9pm. In the winter it starts getting dark around 6pm

Old 07-15-2013, 03:34 PM

304 posts, read 1,015,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
It's a courtesy if they do (and I will if I can), but as far as I know the onus (legally) is on the merger to adjust to freeway traffic, not the other way around. Check your state laws.

It's a whole lot easier to merge into oncoming traffic for the person coming down a ramp than it is for the people already on the freeway to accomodate to someone meandering onto the freeway. And as someone who used to drive a semi for a living I can assure you that a: semis are often relegated to the right lane and b: they can't just dodge out of your way to make it easier for you.
I would think it also to be on the merger to adjust...think about when you're trying to enter a roundabout, the cars already inside have the right of way and maintain speed/lanes.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:38 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,022,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

Exactly, the onus is on the merger to yield. Here in Maine, just about every on-ramp I see has an extra large YIELD sign posted to remind the people on the on-ramp that they do not have the right of way.

We also have a keep right law, so everyone (not just the trucks) is relegated to the right hand lane, unless passing.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:40 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,983,690 times
Bicyclists who seem oblivious to rules of the road as an example you are about to go through an intersection with a green light in your favor all of a sudden theres a bicyclist in front of you blowing through his red light and he's giving you the finger for nearly hitting him Or the bicyclist who thinks he's entitled to the full lane and will drive in the middle of the lane holding up cars and then curse vehemently with the ubiquitous hand gestures if anyone tries to pass him.
Another pet peeve is on the interstate in the slow lane about half mile ahead is a slow truck that i\m obviously going to want to pass,look in rear view mirror and one car coming up fast in the passing lane, i've got time i'll let him pass then pull out to pass the truck,now all of a sudden our fast guy in the passing lane has slowed down and is now right beside me going my speed so now i have to make a drastic reduction in my speed to now avoid running into the back of the truck,once i've slowed down to the speed of the truck our fast guy in the passing lane gets back up to speed and now allows me to pass the truck.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post
I would think it also to be on the merger to adjust...think about when you're trying to enter a roundabout, the cars already inside have the right of way and maintain speed/lanes.
We are in agreement, because that is what I said.

The onus is on the merger to adjust. If a collision were to occur at the merge point, I believe that the person already in the lane of traffic has right of way and would prevail in a lawsuit all else being equal.

However, it is courteous for the driver/s in the travel lanes to give the merger space to enter traffic, as long as they can do so safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive