Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:57 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

I get tired of having to almost stop because people don't know how to move over into the left turning lane soon enough. There's no reason for me to have to slow down when there is an empty turning lane for them to move over into. And yes, I do usually get on these people's bumper in hopes that they'll get the hint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 05:59 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
First world problems

Old 07-17-2013, 06:48 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My pet peeve is people who do not recognize their own rage/annoyance as a wake-up call that they are themselves heedless to the fact that drivers come with a wide range of skills and attitudes, and all their foibles need to be accommodated in the big traffic picture.
Nah, people who think they can do something like text while driving don't need to be accommodated, they need to be shot.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:26 AM

304 posts, read 1,019,217 times
Doesn't really affect driving (unless of course the vehicle is in an accident resulting in projectiles) but what's with all these cars with a freaking Toys R Us display of beanie baby's, plastic dinosaurs, action figures, model cars, head gear, etc. in the rear window?

Never understood that...

Old 07-17-2013, 07:51 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
g
"Speed-matchers," that is, someone in the left-lane & right-lane both driving the same speed blocking people from passing. Most people refer to this as "driving slow in the fast lane." I clarify the "speed matching" distinction because to me it's not a problem if someone is driving slow in the fast lane so long as the other lane is open for me to go around them.
The big trucks are especially guilty of this. If one truck is having trouble gaining speed to pass, why can't the other truck slow down 1 or 2 mph to let it go and clear the lane?

Old 07-17-2013, 07:59 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
No, you don't stop on a highway unless there's an emergency. Two geese are not an emergency, and they were slowly walking across the highway long enough for the driver to see them(there were no cars in front of this one, who was driving 55-60 in the left lane), so this fool could have easily steered around them or changed lanes, but instead chose to just STOP. That was the most dangerous thing to do, obviously giving no thought to the matter whatsoever. Which is typical of many NY/Long Island drivers.
Depends on how big of a goose you're talking about. I've seen geese big enough that they are definitely in the "try to avoid hitting" category. Some of those things could probably set off your airbags if you hit them going fast enough, and having an airbag in your face at freeway speeds isn't exactly an ideal situation either.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
People driving slow on a 2 lane winding road. You come to a passing lane and they SPEED UP making it so you have to floor it just to get around them and if you don't, they go back to poking along after the passing lane has ended.
And once you do pass them, they decide that they want to go 80 so they polish your bumper for five miles to show you who's boss.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:16 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
First world problems
Africa has cars to!

Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
No, you don't stop on a highway unless there's an emergency. Two geese are not an emergency, and they were slowly walking across the highway long enough for the driver to see them(there were no cars in front of this one, who was driving 55-60 in the left lane), so this fool could have easily steered around them or changed lanes, but instead chose to just STOP. That was the most dangerous thing to do, obviously giving no thought to the matter whatsoever. Which is typical of many NY/Long Island drivers.
I've seen them on highway ramps, there is always enough room to just go around them.

If there is a family of geese crossing I'd aim for the babies so there is less to clean up.
I haven't hit a animal yet but I have managed to hit a bird.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
As far as geese go, I live in a community that has a bunch and they constantly stop traffic. Hopefully I'll be there in time to go around as they start but I usually end up having to stop. That is in my community and the road outside of it. On the highway, however, any goose or other animal is fair game. I am not risking an accident by swerving around them or hitting my breaks. It's better for them to be roadkill then me.

As far as pet peeves, why do people pull out in front, causing me to slow down, only to stop and make a left turn a couple hundred yards ahead------and the road is straight and clear behind me?

I'll add to the highway entrance ramp the people who can't merge correctly. I always try to move over when I see a car merging in but sometimes that left lane is full of traffic and I can't get over. The merger can adjust his speed to blend into the large space in front of or behind me. Likewise if I'm the merger and there is heavy traffic, the cars that won't accommodate you. Or those who won't move over if their lane is full but the left lane is clear. It may sound like I'm contradicting myself but there is a time and place for common courtesy.

Also the asshats who race up to my rear while I am passing someone and try to push me. They seem to get all irate when I don't just whip in front of the car I'm passing. I wait till I have plenty of room and can see the car in my rear view. Of course by then said asshat has usually whipped in the 20 ft space between us and nearly caused a wreck before I can safely get over. I have my personal speed limit and I'm not speeding up even more to accommodate your impatience.

Then there are the people who when in heavy traffic or faced with a lane closure race up the shoulder or closing lane to get in front of the people who followed the rules.

Just any tailgater as well. I will not be intimidated so you might as well back off. The 2 lane road by me can be notorious for this. It is 55 MPH and I usually do the speedlimit or maybe a little more. (lots of cops) I usually just ease off the gas a bit to "accommodate" the extreme tailgaters if there is no one behind them. A lot of times they back off so I speed back up and all is well. Probably texting. The section is only about 5 miles. They can pass in the passing zones or wait to get around me when we hit the highway.

On a similar note, if you are driving really slow on a two lane road, why do yo have to hug the yellow line. There are those of us who would like to pass but can't see around you to tell if it is clear.

Now I live by tourist town which can be right busy for half of the year. Sometimes I wish people would realize that there are those of us who live and work here. Of course I'm sure I've been one of those people when visiting other peoples touristy towns as well so I guess it's a wash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive