Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasj101 View Post
the nationwide lifetime warranty is actually covered by a insurance company and not a dealership. It can be used anywhere in the united states including parts of Canada as long as you use a ASC certified mechanic or shop. You have to do the maintenance that the owners manual says to go by in order for it to be valid. Yes it covers the engine, transmission and drive system for life unlimited time and miles
AND you do not have to do the service work at the dealer you bought it from
This is all correct. A deductible may be required at varying rates on different components of the powertrain, but if you take care of your car, as you should, it'll be running at a million miles.

The provider in central Illinois can offer a lifetime wrap-around coverage in addition, due to being able to offer the powertrain coverage. On a car with 348,000 miles , a $,6,000 navigation head unit was replaced with no deductible on something they call disappearing deductible. It was done at the dealership, although it could have been taken to any certified mechanic. There have been many occasions that costly warranty work has been done under the lifetime powertrain warranty for only a $100 deductible.

Like warranties, you may use it, you may not. But I see benefit over loss day after day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 09:56 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I am currently shopping for a new car specifically - 2013 Toyota Camry.

One of the dealer mentioned that the deal includes lifetime powertrain warranty that covers - Transmission, Engine and Drivetrain.

While the other mentioned that I can purchase for 6 year powertrain warranty and an another dealer mentioned that he cannot afford to provide it with the deal.

I am wondering how reliable are these powertrain warranty. Are these sales gimmicks? How seriously I should consider this in to my purchase decision

Please advice

Thanks!
Imo it’s a gimmick.

You will NEED to adhere to a strict maintenance schedule and must have proof. You may be prohibited from self maintaining the vehicle. You may have to do all the requiredcserbuces at a dealer. If you miss a service it may void your warranty.

And last very few people keep the car long enough to take advantage of the lifetime warranty.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:21 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Imo it’s a gimmick.

You will NEED to adhere to a strict maintenance schedule and must have proof. You may be prohibited from self maintaining the vehicle. You may have to do all the requiredcserbuces at a dealer. If you miss a service it may void your warranty.

And last very few people keep the car long enough to take advantage of the lifetime warranty.
The lifetime warranty I had did not require having service done at the dealer, but it did say that it had to be done at an ASE certified shop. That truck was rear ended and totaled at 130k miles, so I never got a chance to use the warranty.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:53 AM

59 posts, read 63,249 times
I don't know but read the fine print. I've heard of people pulling the ole, "You missed an oil change at this dealership and went independent, so your warranty is now void" nonsense.

Some dealerships try to use long service plans to get you to buy from them, with a price tacked on of course....the only problem is what if I move in two years, what good is that? I also work on my own car sometimes, so I don't want to be committed to taking my car in for an oil change every time.
I'd just make sure you know ALL the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive