Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:07 AM

17,472 posts, read 17,304,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I've been wanting to get an older Fox Body Mustang, or Mercury Capri and put a new 5.0 Coyote engine with a cobra IRS, beef up the rest of the suspension
Sister had an 81 Mercury Capri hatchback with the classic Ford 200 CID inline 6. She hated the car. I can't write here what she called it. Let's just say she called it "piece of it". I tried to talk sense into her. Told her it wasn't a bad car because that engine never broke. Her future husband tried to blow the engine so he could drop a 302. He couldn't break the engine. Her next car was an Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais with the infamous Quad4 engine. It was a quick engine,...right up until you blow the head gasket. Her husband was regularly replacing that gasket until she learned to stop slamming the gas pedal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:20 AM

15,692 posts, read 20,193,988 times
Quote:
I've been wanting to get an older Fox Body Mustang, or Mercury Capri and put a new 5.0 Coyote engine with a cobra IRS, beef up the rest of the suspension
That's my dream right there.

I have an '88 Fox 5.0. One of the things I did was ditch the 1960's/1970's crappy disk front and rear drum brakes. 4-wheel disk was a must. Now working on the ABS retrofit.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,699,132 times
I'm generally not a fan of Restomod cars because the builders sometimes try to make them "too" modern. I like an old car with some modern amenities, like discs, a/c, newer engine and transmission, etc., but that still look fairly stock.

I think highback seats look like hell in an old car, makes it look like the builder couldn't find any good ones so he just went to a junkyard and grabbed the first set he could find. I also have some strong dislikes when it comes to wheels on older cars, I HATE modern 17's/18's and all of those type wheels. If Chip Foose ever Overhauled my car I would love it but the first thing I would remove would be the wheels he puts on them.

So for me, I only want upgrades that either blend into the era of the car, or are hidden. We are going to be doing a 46 Ford that we have stored somewhere in the future, and it will remain pretty stock outside, but will have a modern rear with parallel springs, independent front end, sbf with an AOD trans, a/c, but that will be about it.

Don

Old 08-02-2013, 08:26 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,540,014 times
If I had the money I would restomod a 1995 Buick Roadmaster Wagon. Stock this car does most things quite well. Decent mileage on Expressways, back road cruiser and amazingly quick slider on dirt. It can also haul more stuff or people than you really need.

So why rod it? Well to make it better at most things.

Refined suspension: Stiffer progressive rate springs, stiffer but not poly bushings, thicker sway bars, bigger front brakes and disc brakes on the solid rear axle, tow package for motorcycle trailer

Engine and tranny: LS3 or 4 engine with hi po converters, 4 speed Auto tranny with stiffer shifting and real overdrive, LS Differential

Boxed and rustproofed frame

Stock body with longer front air dam, deflector in front of the essential roof rack (it is a wagon after all)

Somewhat concealed roll cage, Comfortable cloth seats, new stereo,

It would be used as a travelling machine as well as a sleeper at the local stoplight drags.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,130,361 times
Modern Chassis/Motor, Classic body

something along the lines of this

Burt Reynolds Edition Trans Am

Old 08-02-2013, 08:54 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,299,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I want to put an S2000 or 240sx motor in a Ford Maverick
I'd rather a Ford motor in the Nissan like this,

240Z V8 Conversion – Small block Ford

Old 08-02-2013, 09:00 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,005,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
What new modern features would you add and how far would you go? I'd try to get four wheel disc brakes, high back bucket seats, and a resto looking modern stereo.
Don't you mean "retro" instead of "resto?"

Old 08-02-2013, 09:05 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,411,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
What new modern features would you add and how far would you go? I'd try to get four wheel disc brakes, high back bucket seats, and a resto looking modern stereo.
Ten airbags.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:15 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,481,658 times
The best part of the older cars was the styling. Everything else from engines to transmission to brakes are better on modern cars. I would personally love to drop an old body on a modern chassis. When I had my 2004 GTO I always joked with my dad that I was going to steal his '67 and put that body on my car. He could keep everything else...I just wanted the look.

At an absolute minimum, the drivetrain, brakes and suspension should be swapped/upgraded. The engine and trans out of modern cars are better and more convenient. The brakes are better as well for the most part, especially if we are comparing drum to disc. The suspensions aren't too bad (from a street rod sense), but could certainly use some help from modern bushings, shocks, springs, bracing, etc. The tires go without saying.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:21 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,481,658 times
Quote:
It sounds cool, but why?

The 5.0 Coyote is a good motor, but they're expensive to buy and require a decent amount of fabrication to mount it in a Fox chassis. On the other hand, a 351 is cheaper, can easily be made to produce as much or more power and is pretty much a bolt-in.

Considering that pretty much everyone who has a Cobra IRS is trying to get rid of the Cobra IRS do to the fact it was such a compromised design I would just stick with the 8.8" solid axle and do the extensive suspension upgrades to make it handle the way you want. Basically buy out the Saleen, Roush or Steeda catalogue and call it a day, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive