Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 03:29 PM

127 posts, read 240,249 times

Advertisements

I replaced the original drive belt on my 2004 Nissan Frontier XE about a year ago. After the mechanic installed it the belt was ok for about a month and then started squealing for a second or two after startup. I went back and he tightened it and all was ok for another 3 months or so and it started acting up again (this is only initially when starting until the belt stops slipping and "catches"). I went in again and he tightened it and all was good until now the belt has started to screech again and this time for about 4-5 seconds upon starting.

I also get a brief "chirp" while driving but i've read that this could be the AC clutch engaging... is that a different issue?

How do I get this damn thing fixed without spending a fortune on trial and error fixes at the mechanic. I do not want to take it to the mechanic and him say "let's try this, let's replace this etc. etc." and ending up with a bill several hundreds of $$$ replacing and fixing unrelated issues. I do not have any charging, AC or power steering issues so I know the belt is driving all the compressors without much of an issue after it gets going.

Any solid fixes for this? I have been told that the squeak could also be coming from the idler pulley and not necessarily the belt, is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 03:42 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
You may not know the answer to this, but did he install a high quality belt, or a cheaper store-brand? The latter will certainly cause that problem.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:06 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Yep, buy either one from the dealer or a quality Dayco, Gates, or similar belt. I had horrible luck with Autozone belts (and every other part they sell ) even though they told me Gates makes their belts. I switched to a Dayco and squeal went away. They also do not stretch out as fast as cheaper offbrand belts.

BTW, belt dressing is a bandaid and shortens the life of a belt.

Don

Old 08-02-2013, 07:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yep, buy either one from the dealer or a quality Dayco, Gates, or similar belt. I had horrible luck with Autozone belts (and every other part they sell ) even though they told me Gates makes their belts. I switched to a Dayco and squeal went away. They also do not stretch out as fast as cheaper offbrand belts.

BTW, belt dressing is a bandaid and shortens the life of a belt.

Don
^^this^^ cheap belts dont last, and they constantly stretch. a good dayco or gates belt will stretch initially and then stop. the good belts also last far longer than the cheap ones do.

something else to check is the surface the belt runs on. if they get a polish worn on them they will let the belt slip.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:46 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
After being sure you have a good quality belt you need to inspect the pulleys .A misaligned or bent pulley can create excessive heat and excessive heat can cause even a new belt to stretch and start slipping creating even more heat and ruin the belt. Any good mechanic will check the belt (using a gauge) for the correct tension.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:52 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
When I had a squealing noise coming from the belt, it turned out to be the water pump going bad.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
If the belt was installed and it didn't squeal for a few weeks but it does now, more than likely the belt needs the slack taken out. Take it back to the mechanic, and ask to check the belt tension (there is a tool to accomplish this). If too much slack, the mechanic can easily take care of it.

You do the same with a chainsaw chain that you have just installed. After a little use the chain tends to loosen a little, so you have to readjust it.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:34 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
When I had a squealing noise coming from the belt, it turned out to be the water pump going bad.
that is also a possibility. like the time i had a squealing belt because the fan clutch was failing in the on position(fortunately).

Old 08-03-2013, 04:38 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
i guess the 14.00 belt i bought online is a waste of money-after reading the answers

my belt slips only when its raining-hasnt been changed in 142,000 miles

Old 08-03-2013, 07:18 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i guess the 14.00 belt i bought online is a waste of money-after reading the answers

my belt slips only when its raining-hasnt been changed in 142,000 miles
You're very fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive