Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 08:59 PM

844 posts, read 1,657,719 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering 2013 Mazda 3(base model, manual transmission) as my next car. The local dealer quoted me $ 15,808 excluding ttl. This price sounds reasonable to me, but I'm not exactly sure about its market price. Truecar has an estimation but I don't know if it's a trustworthy site for advice.

Have anyone purchased a Mazda 3 recently? Any opinion?

It's my first time to buy a new car, and it's my first time to buy a car from a dealer. Anything to keep in mind for negotiation?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 09:22 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Call a bunch of Mazda dealers and see what they are selling it for. If someone won't quote a price give them a price $1000K lower than your best price and see what they counter with. If you like the original dealer you can go back to them and ask for $500 less than the best price you received from others. Also look on-line for the base model and see if you can find anyone selling it for cheaper. Then use that price to negotiate your local dealer lower.

You can also try Costco's auto program to see what their price is if you have a Costco card. Once this was a good price for me. Other times it was higher than what could be negotiated directly.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:25 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
*Google* could be your friend !
1 - set up your absolutely maximum monthly budget.
2 - do a lot of reading of what the car you like to own, really cost, new or slightly used.
--- You can find, with a bit of patience many low milage cars (if you decide on *used*).
--- Find out the history of the same cars, like maintenance cost, recalls, problems, etc.
3 - Be prepared to *no* and walk out (even if you have to walk out many times of the same dealership).

I am not sure if this always works, but I always am ready to plunk down *cash*.
--- I make my own payment schedule with a bank of my own choice.

I actually have only bought a *new* car once in my life and that was *European Delivery*
Never have bought a car older than 2 years, and keep cars no longer than about 8 years.
Then it goes to the kids ... or grand kids .

When you decide on *used*, often you can get a better car for the same monthly payment when compared to new.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
*Google* could be your friend !
1 - set up your absolutely maximum monthly budget.
2 - do a lot of reading of what the car you like to own, really cost, new or slightly used.
--- You can find, with a bit of patience many low milage cars (if you decide on *used*).
--- Find out the history of the same cars, like maintenance cost, recalls, problems, etc.
3 - Be prepared to *no* and walk out (even if you have to walk out many times of the same dealership).

I am not sure if this always works, but I always am ready to plunk down *cash*.
--- I make my own payment schedule with a bank of my own choice.

I actually have only bought a *new* car once in my life and that was *European Delivery*
Never have bought a car older than 2 years, and keep cars no longer than about 8 years.
Then it goes to the kids ... or grand kids .

When you decide on *used*, often you can get a better car for the same monthly payment when compared to new.
I will pay cash for the new car, so I don't have to think about monthly payment. I've searched used car market here but I didn't find any good deal yet.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Call a bunch of Mazda dealers and see what they are selling it for. If someone won't quote a price give them a price $1000K lower than your best price and see what they counter with. If you like the original dealer you can go back to them and ask for $500 less than the best price you received from others. Also look on-line for the base model and see if you can find anyone selling it for cheaper. Then use that price to negotiate your local dealer lower.

You can also try Costco's auto program to see what their price is if you have a Costco card. Once this was a good price for me. Other times it was higher than what could be negotiated directly.
A remote dealer quoted me 15k,which is $800 less. I guess somewhere between 14.5k and 15k should be pretty good?

Old 08-03-2013, 11:10 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience - Car Forums - Edmunds

Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 AM

174 posts, read 639,872 times
I used a Truecar quote to buy my Mazda3 in April. Truecar uses 'participating dealers' so in order for the price to be honored you have to go to one of those dealers. I got the exact Truecar price (it was about $1k less than other estimates), it already included all the manufacturer rebates/incentives. Mazdas are incredibly popular in my area so I knew the price wouldn't go much lower than that. You might have more negotiating room using cash instead of financing, though.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather121 View Post
I used a Truecar quote to buy my Mazda3 in April. Truecar uses 'participating dealers' so in order for the price to be honored you have to go to one of those dealers. I got the exact Truecar price (it was about $1k less than other estimates), it already included all the manufacturer rebates/incentives. Mazdas are incredibly popular in my area so I knew the price wouldn't go much lower than that. You might have more negotiating room using cash instead of financing, though.
Where do you live?

Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Just worth noting that it's end of the line for the 2013 as the 2014 is an all-new model. I don't think the new one will be on lots for a couple months, but the fact that an all new one is coming should figure into the value of the remaining 2013, making it lower generally. Although, if they don't have a huge remaining inventory of 2013s then it won't be much lower.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:54 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather121 View Post
. You might have more negotiating room using cash instead of financing, though.
Nope.. the opposite actually.... Individual dealers make $$$$ off of you financing as well. As a matter of fact when they say you've been approved for x interest amount, many times they are "skimming off the top" by adding to the interest points and spliting the profit with their chosen bank. Perfectly legal in most states.Another reason to secure your own financing through your own bank etc. if you do not pay cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive