Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Our Ranger seems to be experiencing what is often called torque converter shudder. At certain points on the gear range, the car will shudder but it is not apparent where the shudder is coming from. I put a tube of that red oil that supposedly clears up this problem, and it seems a little better, but it still occurs. I have a few questions:

Any suggestions to determine whether this is actually torque converter shudder, or something else?

Does that red oil really work? If so, should I put more in? Just wait? The print on the package was too small for me to read and the guy in the store could not read it either, so I just poured it in the tube for checking the trans fluid.

If it is the torque converter, is it practical to replace it separately, or should I just look for a rebuilt transmission to put in it?

If it matters, the Ranger is a 2003 with about 180,000 miles. It is a 3.0 I think. Auto transmission (4 speed I think).

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:13 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
I have had success with Dr. Tranny shudder fix as well as LubeGard red bottle. Both are friction modifiers. Lubegard also makes a black bottle which is a more concentrated friction modifier. Many transmission builders and myself use lubegard red with a fresh build. Make sure the trans fluid is in relatively good condition before using additives. Maybe first start out with a filter and partial fluid change, or my favorite... a flush using the cooler lines.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:46 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
If it's shuttering at speed, I'd suggest changing the fluid with a flush machine. Use ONLY Mercon 5. Drive it about 2000 miles to see if it will help dissolve the varnish. At the same time, I'd pull the driveshaft out of the transmission and manually lube it with a high shear grease designed specifically for the splines. If someone has used plain old moly grease, it will have to be cleaned out and regreased with the right stuff. This spline can also act like a shutter usually at low speeds. Most fixes in a bottle are temporary at best....if it works at all.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:33 PM

865 posts, read 2,161,753 times
Was the transmission fluid recently changed with a DexIII/MercIII fluid used? They will cause shuddering in the new ford transmissions.

The 5R55 transmissions in those are not that reliable, unfortunately.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Thank you.

No idea when the fluid was last changed. Not since we had it, but that is not that long/many miles. It was my dad's so I will ask whether he changed it. He bought it with about 135,000 I think, so he may not have changed it either. The fluid is visibly very clean, so it was probably changed at some time.

I will see if our mechanic has a flush machine, or go find someone who does.

I do nto know whether we will bother to put in a new converter or transmission if we cannot get it working with a flush and another bottle of red stuff. The truck is worth maybe $4,000 at best. We hope to get another year or two out of the Ranger so we can save for a truck we actually want (the ranger we bought because Dad needed to sell it and our daughter was already using it, but we really want a full sized truck or avalanche and 4x4).

Old 08-06-2013, 06:49 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
My Lincoln Town Car did this shudder... changed ALL fluid (even drained the converter) refilled with MERCON V fluid, changed the filter and added in some Lubegard in the red bottle... 50 miles later, no shudder. It started again about 30K miles later... I did it again and so far, 20K more miles... all is well.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:42 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thank you.

No idea when the fluid was last changed. Not since we had it, but that is not that long/many miles. It was my dad's so I will ask whether he changed it. He bought it with about 135,000 I think, so he may not have changed it either. The fluid is visibly very clean, so it was probably changed at some time.

I will see if our mechanic has a flush machine, or go find someone who does.

I do nto know whether we will bother to put in a new converter or transmission if we cannot get it working with a flush and another bottle of red stuff. The truck is worth maybe $4,000 at best. We hope to get another year or two out of the Ranger so we can save for a truck we actually want (the ranger we bought because Dad needed to sell it and our daughter was already using it, but we really want a full sized truck or avalanche and 4x4).
Even if it keeps shuddering, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. A Merc V flush might do the trick, might make it worse. You won't know until you try. FWIW, that's a synthetic fluid, a flush will probably run you over $200.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:07 AM

865 posts, read 2,161,753 times
If it has a drain plug you can just do a few drain and fills yourself.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:29 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
FWIW, that's a synthetic fluid, a flush will probably run you over $200.
How much does a trans flush run these days? I bought 8 gallons of Dex VI off ebay recently for $200 shipped, the Merc fluid could probably be found at a similar price, OP would need less than half that amount for a complete fluid replacement. I think OP does a bit of DIY, flush procedure is very simple. Take a bucket, mark off 1 gallon level (trans likely has a 5 quart sump), disconnect output cooler line from trans at the cooler, point in bucket, start vehicle and allow to fill bucket to 1 gallon mark, shut off engine, replace fluid with 1 gallon of new, repeat until you have replaced the trans fluid capacity. You could also start off the procedure with a filter change. Refer to manual for pan and case fluid capacities.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:57 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
I didn't have to flush mine. Just a complete drain and refill with Mercon V and a bottle of Lubegard in the red container and all was well. It cost me about $100 or so. My car took 11 quarts if I recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive