Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 05:06 PM

505 posts, read 836,605 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a plugged up EVAP canister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,289 times
Default this is what im experiencing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Is the check engine/service engine soon light on?
Has the car recently gotten into. Can you please tell me what you think mayny accidents?
Recent repair history?
Gas smell coming from under the car?
I just bought my vehicle. A day later engine light appears and the the problem with fueling, now the gas smell. Can you please tell me what you think may be wrong. Thanks.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:39 PM

892 posts, read 1,584,656 times
I had a '98 Malibu that eventually died due to this. It started slowly with trouble filling. I went to the shop and they replaced a sensor. That worked for about 2 months. It started back up, the shop cleaned something and it worked for another month. I started going to stations with slower fills and the shop became my friend (they were fixing it under their original work guarantee). After shop visits became weekly and it didn't matter how slow I pumped, I got the larger 5 gallon gas can and would fill that and transfer it to my car.

Luckily, my grandmother decided to stop driving and I was able to get an old lady car for a bargain. I donated the car because while the gas filling was the issue making me hate it, it wasn't the only problem.

If you can fix it and have it hold up, great. If not, it is a quick trip into madness.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 8,753 times
Ok , I read everyone's answers , and it didn't answer the question I have. My car just started doing the same thing. It happens at every gas station , and I never let the tank go below half a tank no matter what now , for fear of suckling cap in my lines after a long battle of cap being in the tank. I just replaced a blown fuel pump , but not the sending unit ; so I have to wonder if that is the problem. It wasn't doing that before the pump blew. ?? Anyone agree with that ? This message was written after reading all previous reply , and the question goes back to , maybe a faulty sending unit from the fuel pump ??

Old 11-11-2015, 04:52 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,896,547 times
Sending unit has nothing to do with the gas pump shutting off too early or too late.

That has to do with the amount of air in the tank.

Normally, this is due to an evap purge canister, or in some way the venting system of the tank.

NORMALLY.. This behavior is accompanied by a code being set.. Though you may miss it.. On my Colorado, when the problem occurs, i'll get a "Gas Cap" message on the console.. The evap purge solenoid gets stuck occasionally, which the computer interprets as the gas cap being left loose.. But, when that solenoid gets stuck, if I fill the tank too fast, it'll splash back out.

I've just learned to fill it to within a gallon of where it'd shut off, and then slowly fill it the rest of the way.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:59 AM

So , can this be fixed by resetting the codes ?.. I learned that if I try and turn the pump upside down , it works a little better ; but I cam not put gas in the car at all ; if I try and pump it in normal. It's literally acting as if the tank is over filled , and won't allow me to turn the pump on , without stopping. This is a real pain in the ass.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:00 AM

Thank you by the way.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,851 times
answer here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7EcWwlhzBM

Old 05-16-2016, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,495 times
Default Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
As fast as they are, still should go fine given there are no problems.
I smell gas in my car and my car can be completely empty and as soon as I begin pumping the nozzle clicks off. I have to press the nozzle in as far as I can at a 90° angle and still can only pump it at the slowest pace and it still clicks off. I just bought the car used and can tell it was in a minor crash. Not much damage, but the passenger door won't open du3 to the front frame being a bit pushed back. Please help.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:44 PM

2,126 posts, read 3,548,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our ranger has this problem. There is a vent in the tube that goes into the gas tank that is plugged up. You either trickle it in or put in .03 gallons per squeeze.

There are solutions:

1. Expensive replacement of the vent. ($800).
There are aftermarket filler/vent assemblies for Rangers that cost in the neighborhood of $200.

Don in Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
2. Put a couple of small plastic tubes down into the tank next to the gas filler nozzle. This is a PIA bacuase there is almost no room, they have to be tiny tubes, that is why you need several.

3. Fill a 5 gallon gas can and then pout it into the tank.

4. remove the safety thing in the filler tube that has a small nozzle size hole in it. If that does not stop the problem, instal a permanent plastic tube to provide a vent. (With that safety thing gone there will be room for a decent sized tube.
5. Fins gas stations with less sensative shut off devices and buy gas there. You still have to fill slowly, but it only takes a few minutes longer - this is what I ultimately chose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive