U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:46 PM

933 posts, read 1,206,116 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I am considering the pros and cons of a motorcycle compared to a car. I was hoping anyone who has used both can give me a general overview of which they liked better and why. Is a motorcycle really that much less expensive? What's it like riding on a motorcycle on the highway (radio?)? Is a motorcycle really that much more dangerous than a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 07:49 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,147,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Hey everyone. I am considering the pros and cons of a motorcycle compared to a car. I was hoping anyone who has used both can give me a general overview of which they liked better and why. Is a motorcycle really that much less expensive? What's it like riding on a motorcycle on the highway (radio?)? Is a motorcycle really that much more dangerous than a car?

Just don't hit anything. Otherwise.........

Old 08-10-2013, 07:56 PM

4,239 posts, read 8,074,474 times
Your OP post reads like you don't ride...many of us could write a term paper on riding vs driving.

I do both, since '65. Nothing beats a great road on a scoot...
Nothing beats a great road, in a fun car, much of the time, esp when weather crops up.

Is riding a m'cycle 'more dangerous'? Yes...simple physics and lack of mass and structure around the driver. And, cars don't 'see' or care about motorcycles.

A motorcycle vs a car: the scoot is potentially cheaper to buy own/operate, but so what.

Need more info for any in depth, rational responses, imo.
GL, mD

Old 08-10-2013, 08:02 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,333,399 times
Dangerous? An accident that would barely require repair in a car can mean a broken leg or even death on a motorcycle. Yes they're less expensive but I see a fairly restricted situation in which a motorcycle could be used as the only daily transportation. Cargo capacity and weather are the two biggest issues but there are other considerations as well.

I enjoy music in my car and truck, but on a bike the stakes are much higher. It would be too distracting for me.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:38 PM

2,341 posts, read 9,300,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I've driven/ridden both for the better part of 40 years.

First, you will not save any significant amount of money by owning & riding a motorcycle. While most cycles get better mileage than most cars, you also have to pay for insurance & upkeep, and that is after you've paid for the cycle itself.

Second, motorcycles are more dangerous to ride than a car or truck is to drive. Whoever tells you they're not is lying to you. But you can minimize your risk - and significantly - by riding carefully and wearing the proper gear.

Third, riding a motorcycle rider is pretty much its own animal, in that it is completely different than driving a car. You're out there in the open, which means that everything from excessive heat to rain takes its toll.

Basically, if you want to ride a motorcycle, do so because you want to have fun riding. That's really the only way to justify it.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:17 PM

14,056 posts, read 16,063,174 times
The only way they're less expensive is if you're using one instead of having a car, and that's not what the majority of motorcyclists are doing. They still have a car to run errands, when its raining, etc. If it's just about being economical, get a 10- or 15-year-old Corolla. You won't save enough even on an extremely economical motorcycle to make up for the costs, and even an economical bike won't be much cheaper to operate than an old Corolla.

Motorcyclists are 35 times more likely to be killed than someone driving a car. Consider that driving is about the most dangerous activity most of us engage in and motorcycling is 35 times as dangerous. It's not something you do to save a few dollars here and there.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-10-2013 at 10:26 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 02:23 AM

906 posts, read 2,088,420 times
I sold my car while in college and rode a motorcycle for a while. I thought I could go longer. I was wrong.
Hot, cold, rain, etc..
What to do with stuff while riding.

I bought another car after a few months

Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 AM

34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Bikes are a fun weekend hobby, get out on a nice day and spend some time on twisty backroads equals lots of fun, having one as your only means of transportation can get old if you have to battle morning and evening rush hours on major highways, deal with crappy weather (winter?), deal with motorists who are too busy playing with their electronic gizmos to notice you.
Bikes? good recreational tool but if you need to get to work every day you might want to consider a sportscar...

Old 08-11-2013, 06:56 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,720,178 times
Bike makes a good second vehicle, only vehicle not so much.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:16 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,897,699 times
When I was in college I just had a sportbike for 2.5 years. When the weather was nice, it was fine to use as daily transportation. In the winter months, I froze, even though I had lots of warm gear on. When it rained, I got soaked. Not fun arriving to your destination wearing soggy jeans. You can't always predict the weather to know when to wear rain gear. In the summer, you'd get caught in traffic in 100+ degree temps, and you'd sweat your ass off wearing jeans and a helmet. Not pleasant.

Running errands or going to the grocery store was fun. I'd bring my backpack, and in that backpack, I'd bring a huge duffel bag. I'd go buy my milk, frozen pizza, frozen dinners, etc. Then I'd carry my bags out, load up everything in the duffel bag, sling it over my shoulder, and ride home. I'm sure it looked ridiculous, but that way I didn't have to make as many trips to the store.

The real benefits were gas mileage and cost (used to be $4 to fill up the tank with 93 octane, and averaged about 35mpg), parking (could park right on campus where cars were not allowed), and of course, going for fun rides on the weekends. Unfortunately however, when a bike is your daily driver, it isn't much fun to go riding on the weekends if you do it day in, day out.

As far as safety... You have to be a very alert rider to keep from getting into accidents. And even then, you can only control so much. You can't control what the cars around you are going to do. I've had friends sitting at a stoplight be rear ended and killed by some idiot not seeing them. I've had other friends have cars pull out right in front of them and cause them to wreck. When I ride, I go into a hyper alert mode where I notice EVERYTHING. Alertness only goes so far though, and it's the inability to predict what other people are going to do that makes riding so much more dangerous than riding in a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or