Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 06:18 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,698 times

Advertisements

Here around chicago the speed limit is 55 but NO ONE is going less than 75 ever unless there's a traffic jam. I don't blink an eye going by a cop at 75 in the morning going to work. I have on a couple of occasions had cops pull along side of me and give me the sign to "speed up" as I was the slow guy and impeding traffic. Mind you I was already 10-15 over the limit.

I passed a cop on the hwy in Missouri a couple of weeks ago doing 85-86 in a 65. He hit me with the radar as my detector went off but he never moved. Traffic was moving at the same speed but I was in the right lane about 10 cars back from the guy in front of me.

While there are always going to be cops that are going to give tickets for the slightest infraction I don't think this is the norm unless it's the last week of the month. Odds are that you will not get stopped for running with the pack as long as you are doing so at a safe distance and staying in your lane etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 06:27 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
It's hysterical (and somewhat frightening, frankly) to see how hard people will try to justify the fact that they speed because they want to speed and how that absolutely MUST be the RIGHT thing to do, rather than simply acknowledging that they have an irresistible compulsion to speed and choose to break the law in service to that.

This inevitably comes to mind.

The Blues Brothers - Jake's Excuses - YouTube

Old 08-14-2013, 06:39 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It's hysterical (and somewhat frightening, frankly) to see how hard people will try to justify the fact that they speed because they want to speed and how that absolutely MUST be the RIGHT thing to do, rather than simply acknowledging that they have an irresistible compulsion to speed and choose to break the law in service to that.

Whos trying to justify speeding other then the fact they want to? It's a choice that every speeder makes.

Just because a law says something does not make something RIGHT or WRONG. The gooberment has been WRONG many times before. Going the speed limit and blocking the flow, which the law enforcement officers deem is OK, is just as wrong as speeding.

This irresistible compulsion is nothing more than just going with the flow. Most of these "speeders" will be fine doing the speed limit, or even under, if thats what the flow is doing. You may be referring the the few aggressive ones out there, but that is a whole different issue.

I guess all the speeders out there need to whip em out because America has sinned!

Old 08-14-2013, 06:47 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I never said anything about speed limits. If the 85th percentile was going the speed limit, then that would be the safest speed. But, if the 85th percentile was doing 10 over, at that given time, that would be the safest SPEED. Cars going under and over the current median will in fact be less safe and at more risk.

An 85th percentile speed limit means only 15% of vehicles are travelling faster than the posted speed limit. If a greater percentage of vehicles travels faster than the posted speed limit, that means the speed limit is underposted.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:

The 55mph speed limit was abolished because nobody obeyed it, i.e. everybody was "speeding", including the politicians who voted for the 55 nonsense in the first place.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:59 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Like I said. It's hysterical to watch it be about anything and everything other than the justifier's need to speed. "The speed limits are all about revenue generation!" "But, Mooommmm, everybody else is doing it!" "The speed limits are wrong! Why? Because I say so, and I KNOW!" "I'm a GREAT driver and I can HANDLE it!" And so forth and so on.

It's so obvious it would be funny, if that attitude weren't running around in a multi-thousand pound piece of metal.

Like I said, it's not the speed, it's the attitude that scares me; that kind of attitude can get innocent people killed.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:26 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Like I said. It's hysterical to watch it be about anything and everything other than the justifier's need to speed. "The speed limits are all about revenue generation!" "But, Mooommmm, everybody else is doing it!" "The speed limits are wrong! Why? Because I say so, and I KNOW!" "I'm a GREAT driver and I can HANDLE it!" And so forth and so on.

It's so obvious it would be funny, if that attitude weren't running around in a multi-thousand pound piece of metal.

Like I said, it's not the speed, it's the attitude that scares me; that kind of attitude can get innocent people killed.
Where do you come up with this stuff? I bet near all the speeders out there DONT have the attitudes you speak of. Show us where this attitude is getting people killed? It's usually bad decisions that get people killed. Running a red, excessive speeding above the average flow, speeding in bad weather, no seatbelt, etc. Here is some food for thought, around 70% of fatalities in the US were NOT speed related.

When it comes to driving, there are a lot of things that can go wrong. People everyday make good and bad decisions while driving. Sometimes those decisions result in injuries or death. It's not bad attitudes, good attitudes, etc.

Scares me that you think all will be fine at the speed limit that means nothing.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:00 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
I've driven a few CRX's in my time, and I'm very familiar with the Civics off which they're based. Driving them at 100 MPH is not only reckless, it's suicidal.

BTW, that video is of 0 to 100 Kilometers per hour, approximately 62 MPH, and I could almost smell the clutch burning through the screen. Oww!
I don't believe you have driven a CRX. Just because a CRX is based on a Civic does not mean they are the same. There is nothing reckless or suicidal about driving a CRX 100 mph under the right conditions. I've done it myself many times, and I don't consider myself to be a risk taker. The car will handle those speeds just find. I suggest you Google "honda crx race car".

Finally yes, I know that 0-100 km/h = 0-60 mph and no you will not burn the clutch doing that. I'm not even sure why he went to 3rd. Personally I would have kept it in 2nd, until after 60 mph / 100 km/h.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:09 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I find this hard to believe. Are you leaving out some details?
I wasn't sitting in the car so I don't know how fast he was actually driving, but what I heard the examiner say was that you can't drive the speed limit if everybody else is driving a lot faster. I'm surprised that anyone would find such a statement to be the slightest bit remarkable.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Yes, speeding is against the law but that does not necessarilly make it unsafe. Ive seen many more unsafe drivers that drive the speed limit that are checking their phones, merging without turn signals, inconsistant speeds, riding brakes, etc..

I admit I speed. I like to get where I am going. I am as safe as I can be while I speed. I utilize my turn signals and also respect other drivers when it comes to traveling distances or cutting anyone off. I normally drive with the flow of traffic which is the safest and most efficient but I am not afraid to break through the crowd to drive at a speed I feel comfortable with where I am the only car around. If I get a ticket for speeding I cant argue because I was breaking the law but id rather take my chances. I commute a lot, never had an accident and havent gotten a speeding ticket in close to 15 years. When traveling in the flow of traffic I tend to shy away from being the leader if I can because in my eyes they are the ones most likely to get a ticket.

Speed limits are in place for a reason but the way todays cars are designed they are capable of far greater speeds than the ones posted and still be safe. I understand people have there pet peeves, mine are the people not using blinkers, for others it may be speeding. I see nothing wrong with speeding if you utilize common sense and use blinkers, an appropriate traveling distance, focus on driving rather than everything else, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive