U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:59 PM

117 posts, read 154,359 times

Advertisements

black, grey, beige and white? BOR-ing! Those dull tones are not therapeutic for us on an energetic level!

I don't drive but if I did? I'd either get a sky blue or sage/green-blue car...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,214,239 times
Market research.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM

11,269 posts, read 12,338,508 times
Buy a white one and paint it hot pink if you like. Nobody is stopping you.

Is this a current event? I'm pretty sure boring colours have been out for a while now.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 PM

14,761 posts, read 18,650,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditi Jyoti View Post
black, grey, beige and white? BOR-ing! Those dull tones are not therapeutic for us on an energetic level!

If I have to guess....
the auto industry doesn't want people to be happy with their car forever and never buy another car again.

It's much easier for people to begin to think that they car is "dull" with those colors than if it has an unique color than nobody else has.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 PM

16,279 posts, read 19,771,886 times
I read some time ago that if any color car will catch the eye of the police is a car painted red!

Lots of white colored cars here in Las Vegas, as many believe a car painted white will keep you cooler in summer. Don't know if there's any truth to that.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,091 posts, read 49,828,962 times
More cars are painted in colors that people buy. It would be a bad business decision to manufacture a bunch of mint green cars when everyone wants silver.
I haven't seen a beige car in years, apparently they are not sold here as they are where you are. There are regional difference in the colors sent to the various dealerships. The big companies do a lot of research, including focus groups (have been on a couple) when a new model or color is being proposed.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 PM

31,043 posts, read 56,797,982 times
I agree! Henry Ford would be proud.

Of all the cars I've had, the color I liked best was my teal green Honda. All those black and grey cars depress me. I'm OK with beige, though; it doesn't show the dirt.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:25 PM

391 posts, read 757,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditi Jyoti View Post

Sometimes the car you want, in the trim or package that you desire, is in a color that you may not want. At that point, you can either accept the color or obtain the car at a different dealership or even state. With the former option, it is easier and you get what you mostly want; with the latter option, it takes more time to procure the vehicle and you may incur added shipping costs (or costs of traveling to the state), but you do get exactly what you want (or possibly not--package or wheels or whatever might be different).

When I bought my car, I wanted a manual. It was difficult to find one in the Chicago area, let alone some one-horse town/metro region. I had to accept the dark grey color, because I needed a car for work, and didn't feel a special color was worth the added trip/extra hassle of obtaining it. Some people just don't care that much about their car's color. I agree with you, though, that silver, white, or black are boring colors. I would prefer dark green.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 PM

818 posts, read 1,465,963 times
My car's color is boring sure, but I'm not gonna spend any money for a purely cosmetic change that has zero effect on my daily commute.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:30 AM

117 posts, read 154,359 times
Default I am not receiving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Market research.
Are you accusing me of being a market researcher? It helps to be less obtuse when posting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or