Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:13 AM

79 posts, read 277,493 times

Advertisements

ok, where is the overflow tank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 AM

103 posts, read 446,953 times
Houston, we have a problem.

The overflow tank is below your "radiator cap". You said earlier that the coolant level was just a little low because you could see where the level was before ...that is your coolant recovery tank, and your radiator cap..the only way into the system.

Do you not know anyone that could assist you in this endeavor?
If you go changing hoses or anything else, you have to bleed out the air. Advance or autozone will probably come outside and point out the bleed screw, etc. if they even know themselves where things are on that particular car.

Last edited by FreeMarketSlave; 11-13-2007 at 11:53 AM..

Old 11-13-2007, 12:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Anyone tried to "burp" the hose? Ive had mine flatten before, a few squeezes and WHOOSH, back to normal again.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMarketSlave View Post
Houston, we have a problem.

The overflow tank is below your "radiator cap". You said earlier that the coolant level was just a little low because you could see where the level was before ...that is your coolant recovery tank, and your radiator cap..the only way into the system.

Do you not know anyone that could assist you in this endeavor?
If you go changing hoses or anything else, you have to bleed out the air. Advance or autozone will probably come outside and point out the bleed screw, etc. if they even know themselves where things are on that particular car.
yes, I did have someone show me where the bleeder was, the hose is back to normal now.
Thanks everybody for your help.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:10 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,223 times
here's a question no one asked: why did you replace your serpantine belt, and did your hose problem occur right after you got the car back on the road again?

for instance, did the belt actually break? and if so did you keep driving for awhile with no belt? if so you were driving without the water pump turning, which could have built up alot of pressure in the cooling system and forced coolant out of either the cap or any other weak spot in the system. and if this happened, you should definitely bleed out any air that may be trapped. where is your temperature gauge reading? when the car is warm it should be right in the middle of the gauge.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:59 AM

168 posts, read 672,125 times
The radiator cap pressurizes the cooling system. If the upper hose is collapsed you need a radiator cap. I am a mechanic and adding all the coolant in the world isnt gonna fix your problem.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:08 AM

951 posts, read 1,653,107 times
Again, change your thermostat.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
here's a question no one asked: why did you replace your serpantine belt, and did your hose problem occur right after you got the car back on the road again?

for instance, did the belt actually break? and if so did you keep driving for awhile with no belt? if so you were driving without the water pump turning, which could have built up alot of pressure in the cooling system and forced coolant out of either the cap or any other weak spot in the system. and if this happened, you should definitely bleed out any air that may be trapped. where is your temperature gauge reading? when the car is warm it should be right in the middle of the gauge.
Ok, I was driving along in town, about 30 miles an hour when there was a thump noise that sounded like something in front going to back under car. I see the battery light come on, notice the power steering was not working , and immediately pulled over into a parking lot and shut the motor off. Opened hood and seen the belt was shredded off the pullies, but still attached by a very thin shred., son removed old belt, and put on new belt, never restarted car until the new belt was back on. Noticed the hose was flat "before" I started the engine back up thou. Son loosened clamp hose and some of the flatness released, some coolent came out....he returned clamp. I drove home 6 blocks, parked and shut engine off, rechecked hose, it had once again flattened. So, did not restart car until next day, hose was back to natural shape the next morning, I opened the cap and put in the coolent to the line that was there showing where the level of the coolent had been. No evidence of coolant on any part outside of coolant tank or motor, pullies..ect...so I did not loose any coolent other than what came out of hose when the hose clamp was removed and the hose squeezed to relieve the flat .

Old 11-14-2007, 06:49 AM

The radiator cap pressurizes the cooling system. If the upper hose is collapsed you need a radiator cap. I am a mechanic and adding all the coolant in the world isnt gonna fix your problem.

I will replace the cap.

Again, change your thermostat.

I will have it checked...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive