Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 11:27 AM

85 posts, read 260,939 times

Advertisements

For me, it's about the ability to go skiing, drive on the beach and tow heavy loads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 11:58 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
I wonder why i see big women in their late 40's driving a Suburban alone.

Something tells me they spend the weekend watching pawn stars fawning over Chummley and not out sking or mountain biking

Old 08-18-2013, 12:09 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I wonder why i see big women in their late 40's driving a Suburban alone.

Something tells me they spend the weekend watching pawn stars fawning over Chummley and not out sking or mountain biking
Hmmm....I find it less scary seen a plump 40-something woman driving a Suburban alone, than a plump and muscular woman with clipped hair driving a Subaru. Well, I just move to the right lane, I guess

Old 08-18-2013, 12:29 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevin11 View Post
I think the title of this thread says it all...What is the point of getting an AWD drive car if you live in a warm climate?

AWD, 4x4, Quattro, or what have you... Out in Sunny California, those cars are everywhere. Lux car makers make a big ado about it. But what purpose does it serve in a place where it rains maybe 10 to 15 days a year?

Sometimes you may go to the local mountains to ski, but my experience has been that the roads are either entirely clear or chains are required... On ALL vehicles, including cars and trucks with 4 wheel drive.

So to answer my own question, it seems like there is absolutely no use for AWD in this type of climate. What am I missing?
In reality it makes no sense unless you want the additional traction that such vehicles provide. That's why there are so many different traction configurations for one to choose from, and most vehicles in warm climates aren't AWD and 4WD. But lets say that a person who lives in Sacramento works in Lake Tahoe, in this case a vehicle that has AWD or 4WD can be quite handy during the coldest winter days across the mountains. The same person can drive a FWD during the summer, too.

Then there are some 4WD vehicles that save a lot of fuel by using the front wheels full time, and engage the rear wheels to gain additional traction only when needed. This type of traction is ideal in any climate. Mercedes Benz has used it for many years. Toyota uses this type of traction on some of its vehicles, and it works well. The traction/stability control reacts so fast to a skid or loss of traction that often you only know about it because the computer illuminates a light on the dash.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:36 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I know someone who bought a Chevy 2500 truck years ago for camping and towing. She's never gone camping and hasn't towed anything with it. Best part is that she gets a combined 17 MPG.

Genius!

There isn't a 17 MPG Chevy 2500 on the planet.......probably closer to 12

Old 08-18-2013, 12:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
What's the point of getting a car that has 500HP and a 160-mph topspeed?

Old 08-18-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevin11 View Post
I think the title of this thread says it all...What is the point of getting an AWD drive car if you live in a warm climate?

AWD, 4x4, Quattro, or what have you... Out in Sunny California, those cars are everywhere. Lux car makers make a big ado about it. But what purpose does it serve in a place where it rains maybe 10 to 15 days a year?

Sometimes you may go to the local mountains to ski, but my experience has been that the roads are either entirely clear or chains are required... On ALL vehicles, including cars and trucks with 4 wheel drive.

So to answer my own question, it seems like there is absolutely no use for AWD in this type of climate. What am I missing?

Audi feels AWD enhances the performance/safety of all of their cars which is why they are all offered in AWD trims (optional on the lower end cars).

Old 08-18-2013, 12:41 PM

641 posts, read 1,020,776 times
AWD is the most OVERRATED of all of the drivetrains... in addition, it makes the vehicle seem heavy and sucks gas

Old 08-18-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
AWD is the most OVERRATED of all of the drivetrains... in addition, it makes the vehicle seem heavy and sucks gas
Except Audi is exceeds MPG performance of it's competitors and comes in at a lower weight while doing so......

Old 08-18-2013, 12:53 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
What is the point of getting an AWD drive car if you live in a warm climate?

Unless you drive in lots of snow,mud or sand i see no point other than giving the dealer and the gas stations more money..Up here in Quebec we get plenty of winter yet i'd guestimate 1 car in 20 has AWD and we get through winters just fine with the normal one wheel drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive