Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 09:38 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

It is hard to find a true SUV anymore.

My 4 Runner 4x4 will run any minivan off the dirt/mud/snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:38 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,668,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
It's all marketing, like so much in America. Minivans became seen as the transport of housewives, so men in particular switched to SUVs. Now most SUVs are driven by housewives too, so 'men' resort to bigger SUVs with bigger engines. Personally, I miss seeing real cars on the road but that's just me.
No way around that truth!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Speaking of Odesseys...

And let's not forget the original Minivan was avaialble with a turbo engine and a 5 speed manual transmission:

My dad had one and it was fun to smoke performance cars off the line.
mmmmmmm me likes...also heard about a 3.8 Caravan running 12's....who knows...tranny probably in pieces!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
ha, ha! I enjoyed reading the thread because I myself will never be caught dead driving a minivan, ever!
I have a family, with one child, and another on the way, but will never own or drive a minivan. I like the Honda Crv SUV, smaller, cool, SUV. I also like the Honda Pilot, and the Acura Rdx, but they are gas guzzlers and the Acura is too expensive. If I had to get another SUV for the family it would be the cool Honda Element. Plenty of room for children, surfboards, and beach stuff, and a cool looking vehicle instead of an embarrasing minivan! ha! I don't mind seeing a mother driving them, but I feel bad to see any man driving one! ha!
You can't be serious. There is nothing prettier about a Honda CRV than a minivan. Both are bland. That is my exact point. Nothing feminine about taking care of your family either.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I agree with you 100% and was enjoying your post until I saw the crossovers you described as being "cool SUV's". Id be equally embarrased to drive in those as I would in a minivan, lol.

Personally I think in 2013 the SUV market is pretty slim in its choices. Even though very refined the only brand new SUV's I could even see myself shopping for would be an Expedition, Tahoe, Sequoia, 4Runner, Armada, maybe a couple others. The rest of them have become to girly with shifters on the dash , low ground clearance, to aerodynamic, too many car like features, etc.. A couple years ago you could buy a nice Explorer or Escape, a Blazer, Commander, Pathfinder, Grand Cherokee and several others that were nice little SUV's.

Todays market has essentially turned these nice liitle SUV's into somewhat bigger, uglier cars that are more suited for the highway than anything. If we are speaking of these types of SUV's (aka crossover) than yes perhaps they are sportier than a minivan. With that being said I would drive a minivan over one of these crossovers because the basis of a minivan has not changed, whereas these "SUV's" are trying to be something they are not.
Well said...ugly is ugly whether SUV or minivan.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
And that generalization can be said of any type of car. It has more to do with the idiot behind the wheel as opposed to the car he/she's driving.

I've never know anyone to think that the "S" in SUV stood for what the car can do vs. the activities it allows its occupants to participate in.

Of course, in this day and age - these categories seems to be more marketing terms than actual vehicle class. Its not just SUVs now, its luxury SUV, sport SUV, small SUV, SAV, etc. And the SUVs that weren't really SUVs became Crossovers when the gas crisis crapped all over the SUV market. You also don't call them wagons (which some are) because you don't want the associated childhood image of the family trip sitting backwards in a Country Squire.
I just see it more with SUVs around here I guess. I paid alot for it, its NEWER THAN YOURS AHHHHH! Again, that 16 year old driving that 2.3 Mustang at 90 behind you in the left lane comes to mind.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I can think of a few advantages a minivan has over an SUV:

1. Fuel economy. My old 93 Caravan got around 26 to 27 mpg, with the V6. Most SUVs of that era wouldn't even come close to that.

2. A minivan is probably about the least likely vehicle to get pulled over for speeding.

3. The third row seat is not an afterthought. You don't have to be a contortionist to get in the third row!

4. Cargo area. Similar-sized SUVs just do not seem to have the cargo-area that a minivan has with the rear seats removed. My parents have a Dodge Grand Caravan, and I can take the seats out, lay 4×8 sheets of plywood in there flat, and still shut the lift-gate.

I always found a lot more utility in my van than I ever did in vehicles officially dubbed "utility" vehicles.
Muahhhhhhhh! Plenty of utility with my AWD, Roof Rack, and Tow Hitch along with space and even aerodynamics.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Minivans are FWD. SUV are (mostly) RWD.

Neither one handles great, but at least with RWD you can kick the ass out with the throttle. Can't do that with FWD.
Not all minivans are AWD. The mostly you gave the SUV also applies to minivans. I don't necessarily want to kick out the rear end.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:50 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOmm5cw0DqE

Don't underestimate the minivan!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I just realized that this thread is about whether SUVs or minivans are faster/handle better When I waded in I thought folks were debating whether SUVs or minivans were better suited for outdoor/OHV oriented activities. Seriously!? Who cares which one corners better at high speed!? Do you really drive like that much of a maniac with your kids in the car!? Furthermore, half the vehicles cited in this thread as SUVs (Ford Escape, Toyota Highlander, Honda CRV, etc...) are not SUVs, they are crossovers. If it does not have a both a separate body and frame and selectable high and low range 4WD it is NOT an SUV.
Yeah but the retards that I see are out to prove that each one can handle better or outrun one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive