Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 04:08 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

New? 0.

Used? 1 with a thorough once over. Or 0 if im buying it through a source I trust.

Im glad I dont have that kind of insecurity over car buying. And of a last gen Impala at that...one of the most vanilla and inoffensive vehicles on the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 04:22 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I usually know within a few minutes if its for me or not. When I bought my 2010 Ram, I got that thing for the weekend as a test drive.
This ^^^

Usually a fifteen minute jaunt in traffic, on a road, down the freeway, and back to the lot is enough.

If for some reason you wish to get a better feel, they always have a demo car which you can take over night or, like this, over the weekend.

It's a car. It's nothing to the dealer but money on wheels. They could care less....as long as they have a decent shot at making a sale.

If the dealer gives you grief, go to the next dealer that carries the car you want to drive. And no, I don't need the salesman to 'ride along' with me. Creepy.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:47 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Been driving over 40 years. Have never test driven a car. All cars are different. By the time you drive it home from the dealer you should be pretty much used to driving it. I think this is something people overthink. Buy the car. You'll get used to it.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:15 PM

22 posts, read 85,591 times
I guess this depends on whether you're looking for a point A to B appliance or if you're an enthusiast looking for a nice ride. The former is easy, the latter requires more testing and patience

Old 08-23-2013, 09:24 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
New cars, usually 15-20 minutes. There's a good test loop near the dealers that everyone uses. You get some nice curvy back roads, some god awful broken pavement, some driving in regular city traffic, and then a good stretch of freeway driving. The only thing that's a bit of a mystery at that point is those nagging ergonomic issues like what the seat is going to feel like after two hours of straight driving.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:26 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevin11 View Post
I guess this depends on whether you're looking for a point A to B appliance or if you're an enthusiast looking for a nice ride. The former is easy, the latter requires more testing and patience
This^^^.

A buddy bought an Audi A4 AWD without driving it. He told me he'd read reviews and reports, and the numbers told him what he needed to know. He was so clueless about the car for the whole time he owned it. What a waste. He could have bought a Sentra and been just as clueless.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:09 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
If you have to test drive a vehicle 3 times you really don't want it or need it. Move on to something else.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:44 AM

32 posts, read 37,678 times
I think it truly depends on the relationship between buyer and dealer and the amount of the purchase. If I'm buying a used older vehicle and I'm not spending much or I'm financing my purchase, I might be a bit eager to buy and only test drive a few for a few minutes until one rubs me the right way. If I'm buying new or paying up front the entire cost I might want the car for a few days before I make a purchase decision.

It also depends on the dealer and your relationship with them. If they don't know you or your credit is imperfect, they might want to ride with you or ask that you come back within an hour. If they know you or are aware of your status or worth, and it's a huge deal for them to close with you, they're going to be more generous to cater to you.

I only wish we could test-drive houses before we purchase them. It would be a lot easier if we could stay a few nights, get to know what the neighborhood is like during all hours. What it's like to walk or drive to and from and how many different routes get you in and out. Night time noises like dogs, buzzing bugs, noisy parties from neighbors, etc. The little things that don't function right that you don't notice until you're all moved in and hooking things up. Like a drawer that constantly falls off track, something that knocks or squeaks, light or wall switches that aren't wired properly to work the light, fan, or accessory that it should. Placement of cabling or lack thereof. Little expenses that add up all over the place or inconveniences that you thought you could fix or deal with because you didn't realize just how difficult or expensive it is to fix after all. Isn't it strange that test driving a car is customary, but we're not given the same buying consideration for a home?!

I'm glad we have the privilege to test drive cars before we commit to purchase, no matter if it's 10 minutes or 100 hours.

If I were the salesperson selling you a car, it would depend on my relationship with you. If I didn't have a relationship with you, it would depend on my interest and devotion to my job and my customers. Finally, if neither of those mattered to me, it would depend on how much commission in making from the sale, or my company's in-house policies. Different companies might have different policies on how long someone can test drive before they get nervous. They might allow you to take it a few days for test drive with manager approval. It might be up to the individual salesperson which might come down to how much they trust you or much money is in it for them if they keep you happy and you buy something from them. They don't want to worry you won't come back or that you'll go commit a crime or drive wreckless and cause damage or total it out.

When my brother and I had perfect credit, when we lived in Independence, MO, our dealership would let us take cars for a few days to test drive. I've never tried since then.

It could have to do with times changing since the earlier 2000's. It might have to do with the area or part of the country. If you live in an area with high statistics for grand theft (auto), insurance companies might refuse to cover dealers on cars loaned out for test drive over a certain time frame. You might have to put down some collateral or a credit card with a pending hold, etc.

Either way, good luck with your purchase. I hope you enjoy your new "ride" when you make a final decision.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:14 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Been driving over 40 years. Have never test driven a car. All cars are different. By the time you drive it home from the dealer you should be pretty much used to driving it. I think this is something people overthink. Buy the car. You'll get used to it.
I want to know if I want to get used to it. I'd always drive a car at least once.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:30 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Good grief, I pretty much know which car is my number one choice BEFORE I test drive and as long as a 10 min test drive goes ok, that's all I need to get a feel for the car. I can't imagine needing hour long test drives, or repeated ones. And I've found I adapt to the feel of each car after buying it anyway. But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive