Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 07:09 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,668,280 times

Advertisements

I see TONS of this in my area these days when I look in the rear view. Most of the burn out headlights seem to be on SUVs. Here we are arguing about the manliness of an SUV vs. driving a minivan. If an SUV is so manly, are the drivers not manly enough to change out a headlight bulb?

This is in Virginia which has annual State inspections.

Last edited by va_lucky; 08-25-2013 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:30 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Is it a headlight or a DRL? Most people forget about their daytime running lights so they never get changed when they go out. A headlight out would stand out pretty quickly the first time they drove it at night.

My wife's Camaro, for example uses the fog lights for DRLs. I dont think anyone would even know if one was out.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Is it a headlight or a DRL? Most people forget about their daytime running lights so they never get changed when they go out. A headlight out would stand out pretty quickly the first time they drove it at night.

My wife's Camaro, for example uses the fog lights for DRLs. I dont think anyone would even know if one was out.
Good call on the DRL. I am talking about what I see out at night it is pretty obvious when I look. I see TONS of GMC SUVs like this. I happen to like the GMC SUVs and they sure look crappy with burnt out lights.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Having lights go out a lot has always seemed to be extremely common on domestic makes. GM, GMC, Jeep, Chrysler, seem to be the worst. Ford is a little bit better, at least from what I've seen. Dodge vehicles also don't seem to have the same number of lighting problems as other Chrysler makes, unless it's the Durango.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:54 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Those sodium and blue bright headlights have a shorter lifespan so they burn out faster. Go to any dept. store and you can probably find some empty packages of car light bulbs that some cretan stole.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Having lights go out a lot has always seemed to be extremely common on domestic makes. GM, GMC, Jeep, Chrysler, seem to be the worst. Ford is a little bit better, at least from what I've seen. Dodge vehicles also don't seem to have the same number of lighting problems as other Chrysler makes, unless it's the Durango.
Agreed, definitely agreed. I wonder if folks aren't aware of it, plain just can't figure out how to change a light bulb, or don't/can't pay someone else to do it.

I notice the abundance of cracked windshields popping up as well too....but that is another chapter. I still can't help wonder if there is a new found reason for what I am seeing more and more of.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:05 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
I don't specifically know why, but I don't remember having as many issues with burned out headlights since the advent of halogen bulbs. They just don't seem to last very long, usually only a few years. And I don't know why they stopped making cars with the sensors that would tell you when a light was out. I hope these new LED lights prove to have an improved lifespan.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:14 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,795 times
My wife's car displays a message on the dash when a light burns out. It's a great feature that I think every car should have for safety reasons.

It has only burned out 2 bulbs since 2007, not bad.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:40 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
It got to the point with our Jeeps that I just started stocking up on the taillight and brake light bulbs, which are also the same as the front turn signal bulbs. I have had to replace at least one bulb a year, every year LOL. Our other cars bulbs last at least 5 times longer. The problem isn't with the bulbs though, it's the wiring on the domestics. It's not uncommon to see the bulb base burned and blackened from getting too hot. Don't see that on any of our other cars.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:45 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Agreed, definitely agreed. I wonder if folks aren't aware of it, plain just can't figure out how to change a light bulb, or don't/can't pay someone else to do it.

I notice the abundance of cracked windshields popping up as well too....but that is another chapter. I still can't help wonder if there is a new found reason for what I am seeing more and more of.
HA! My SHO has a cracked windshield. I just dont currently have the $464 to replace it just yet. It drives me batty because it is so ghetto looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive