Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 07:45 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
My nephew has 1 of these and it runs 15 flat. BTW, Didn't I tell you to stop believing the japaneese loving car magazine writers? ROFL that you come back with a car and wannabe driver magazine article with a ringer. Oh and my nephew has a buddy that works for Toyota has 1 and after reprograming it, changing the air intake, and a Magnaflow muffler has gotten his down to 14.2 at Gateway. But as I said, it isn't stock. On the chassis dyno he did with reprograming and the other mods get 312hp. But it's a peaky 312. You can claim they need sticky tires, but neither one has a traction issue and in fact when my nephews friend put Hoosiers Quick Times on his, it slowed down because it bogged. Camery is nothing more than an ugly car that rides and handles horrible and isn't quick or fast.
It's simple physics... which apparently you have a hard time understanding. Your nephew can't drive. I've seen stock Camry's (and it's CAMRY btw) run 14.4 to 14.7 here in TX (at sea level) with track temps of 90-100 degrees. On a cooler day, they could easily hit a 14.1 or 14.2 STOCK.

I'll never understand why people who don't know what they are talking about get on the internet and make such moronic statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 07:49 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
It's simple physics... which apparently you have a hard time understanding. Your nephew can't drive. I've seen stock Camry's (and it's CAMRY btw) run 14.4 to 14.7 here in TX (at sea level) with track temps of 90-100 degrees. On a cooler day, they could easily hit a 14.1 or 14.2 STOCK.

I'll never understand why people who don't know what they are talking about get on the internet and make such moronic statements.
We are 1000 feet above sea level. Rarely is our DA less then 2900 feet. Guess when using the NHRA's standard correction factors, my Nephew is actually doing better than your 14.4- 14.7 guys.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:53 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
If your nephew is doing better than what I've seen in TX, then that means that he's running 14.3 or better... which makes the Camry a low 14 sec car, which you said it wasn't... and makes your arguments about magazine ringers and Japanese car loving journalists seem even more stupid.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:57 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
If your nephew is doing better than what I've seen in TX, then that means that he's running 14.3 or better... which makes the Camry a low 14 sec car, which you said it wasn't... and makes your arguments about magazine ringers and Japanese car loving journalists seem even more stupid.
Hey, I'm big enough to say it, I was wrong on what they can run in great conditions. But they are still ugly! lol

Old 09-05-2013, 11:12 AM

447 posts, read 733,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
AWESOME Plymouth Ron !!! Love it !
Thank you very much. Ron

Old 09-05-2013, 12:42 PM

56 posts, read 72,245 times
Didn't mean to start the great Camry debate.

My whole point was, what was considered fast 40 years ago (or at least what the manufacturers advertised as being fast to middle age wannabes) is now considered tame by todays standards. I chose the Camry as an example, because off the top of my head, I couldn't think of a more vanilla car. Whatever a stock Camry turns in, give or take a second or so, is remarkable for a mid priced family sedan.

I had a co-worker I was good friends with in the mid 80's. He was a complete motorhead and his hobby was buying and restoring Detroit iron, his baby being a '57 Chevy hotrod. We used to debate cars, but one thing he despised was Japanese cars, and he thought all new cars were junk (in retrospect he was right, early 80's cars sucked for the most part). I recently rekindled the friendship with him, and now he says that modern cars are superior to their archaic counterparts and his daily driver is an Infinity! At least, unlike some overly nostalgic motorheads, he came to the realization that modern cars are very well built, although expensive to repair. I hate when I read someone spouting off that they don't build 'em like they used to. They sure don't. Cars don't rust anymore, don't need valve jobs at 70k, 100k is just breaking them in, as opposed to when 100k was the end of the run, and because of crumple zones and airbags, people are walking away from horrific accidents they wouldn't have survived 40 years ago.

BTW, he still owns his '57.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:46 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Well, I'm eating my words from earlier, I found this link, and the fastest production car turns out to be Mopars, the 426 Hemi Cuda, 1968, 10.5 in the 1/4 mile
and the 1968 Dart 426 Hemi,

Is it any wonder why Chrysler went back to the hemi engine for their Dodge Ram trucks and some Jeeps?

North America's Fastest Production Cars

Old 09-05-2013, 01:50 PM

327 posts, read 774,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Well, I'm eating my words from earlier, I found this link, and the fastest production car turns out to be Mopars, the 426 Hemi Cuda, 1968, 10.5 in the 1/4 mile
and the 1968 Dart 426 Hemi,

Is it any wonder why Chrysler went back to the hemi engine for their Dodge Ram trucks and some Jeeps?

North America's Fastest Production Cars
Keep in mind that those two cars at the top of that list were not street legal and extremely limited production (50 ea).

Old 09-05-2013, 02:12 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
There is something about high torque/high horsepower engines that the high spinning mini liter engines can't match.

No downshifting, just some extra pedal and a push from behind that takes you over the hill. No dropping 3 speeds, running the tach up to 4,5 or 6 or more thousand RPMs to get up the hill or pass.

The new engines ala Honda and Toyota don't last any longer than old american iron, the people driving them drive them gently. They stop by the jiffy lube exactly at 3000 miles because their iPhone told them so, when merging onto a highway or freeway they practically cause pileups because they are so light footed on the gas pedal or they risk dropping a few MPG on the trip computer.

If you drive a car like some nice grandma, yes, even a big iron old American engine will go way past 100k miles easily. Go ahead and look at used car ads. See all the Japanese cars with new engines and transmissions before 70k miles? That is because if you drive a Toyota or Honda anything with your foot in it a lot, they will burn up too. But the percentages of people that do that are far and few between so the percentages work to show those engines last longer, they don't. Sure there were some real pigs as far a american engines go but the Japanese and Germans has their share of pigs too.

Who ever bought a BOSS Stang, Cuda or any other big engine car and drove it to save gas? Come on.

I'm not taking anything away from Japanese cars but if that Camry was driven like a typical GTO was driven, it would need a new engine at 50k miles and a new body too since it would be wrinkled.

Lets be real, get into a lower horsepower engine and get up to freeway speeds. The engine shifts into OD and settles down to a nice low rpm. Now just slightly give some gas and watch how fast that engine shifts down once, twice and maybe three times to get over a slight grade or increase the speed just 5 or 10 mph.

Now jump into a high torque/high horsepower car and do the same. Nothing, the engine moves the car faster with nary a movement on the tach, it just goes faster.

So when I hear claims about Camry's doing 14_ sec in the quarter I laugh really hard. First, who'd want to do that in a Camry and second, driving like that attracts attention and then someone might see me driving a Camry and it simply isn't worth it.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:53 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansZ View Post
Keep in mind that those two cars at the top of that list were not street legal and extremely limited production (50 ea).
The "not street legal" had loopholes. I have seen some street driven ones at car shows, with license plates and current tags. They did have functional headlights and windshield wipers.

Production numbers for those S/S (Super Stock) Mopars were 80 for the Dart and 70 for the Barracuda.

They are rare but not as rare as some other Hemi-powered Mopars, such as:

1966 Coronet 2-door sedan (34 built)

1968 Coronet R/T Convertible (9 built)

1968 GTX Convertible (36 built)

1969 Coronet R/T Convertible (10 built)

1970 Challenger R/T Convertible (9 built)

1970 Super Bee 2-door Coupe (4 built)

1970 Road Runner Convertible (3 built)

1971 Hemi-'Cuda Convertible (11 built)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive