Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 06:57 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times

Advertisements

If you have to ask you wouldn't understand even if I explained it. I drive very responsibly, haven't had a ticket in a zillion years, but I love hp. My hot rod has 424 hp and weighs 1700 pounds, do the math. I just enjoy the push in your back and the sound when you are pulling out from a light or accelerating to pass. You don't need to drive like an idiot to love the feel of a responsive car.

In fact, it is usually the squirrels with no hp who drive the worst......they seem to have something to prove.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,877 times
What's the point of having trucks like the F-350? What's the point of having crotch rockets? What's the point of having so many vehicles out there that by definition of their intended purpose isn't being used properly?

Answer to all of the above... Because we can! That's really all that needs to be said.

But also, on a more serious note, if you have a car with 500HP that can go 170 MPH, it's going to be set up to be able to handle a road course. Guess what that means for your day to day driving. If you need to make a maneuver around something, that car is going to handle it with flying colors.
If you're on the freeway cruising the speed limit and something jumps out in front of you and need to stop, would you rather have your civic's 10" rotors stop you, or would you rather have your Corvette ZR1's 15.5" ceramic rotors with 6 piston calipers stopping you?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevin11 View Post
What's with the defensive responses? It is more a question : if you own a high performance car, but just toot around town and never speed, what are you getting out of this experience?

More a question than an accusatory condemnation, though some of you seem to be taking it that way.
Becasue many of the posts are assumptive and derogatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgto View Post
You're mistaken if you think 400 hp car is "fast".
That's just silly.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
What's the point of having trucks like the F-350? What's the point of having crotch rockets? What's the point of having so many vehicles out there that by definition of their intended purpose isn't being used properly?

Answer to all of the above... Because we can! That's really all that needs to be said.

But also, on a more serious note, if you have a car with 500HP that can go 170 MPH, it's going to be set up to be able to handle a road course. Guess what that means for your day to day driving. If you need to make a maneuver around something, that car is going to handle it with flying colors.
If you're on the freeway cruising the speed limit and something jumps out in front of you and need to stop, would you rather have your civic's 10" rotors stop you, or would you rather have your Corvette ZR1's 15.5" ceramic rotors with 6 piston calipers stopping you?
I both agree and disagree...

The bottom line is that we are free to do what we can afford to do. If that means you drive an F350 4x4 to work on dry pavement, you can - regardless of what I think.

That said, pretty much any vehicle on the road today is designed to handle any of today's roads just fine. Yes, the braking of the Corvette is superior to that of an old Civic, but the Civic's braking is perfectly fine for the car it is.

Drive what you like, like what you drive.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:08 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Why do Harleys need to be so loud?

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
I both agree and disagree...

The bottom line is that we are free to do what we can afford to do. If that means you drive an F350 4x4 to work on dry pavement, you can - regardless of what I think.

That said, pretty much any vehicle on the road today is designed to handle any of today's roads just fine. Yes, the braking of the Corvette is superior to that of an old Civic, but the Civic's braking is perfectly fine for the car it is.

Drive what you like, like what you drive.
I'm most definitely not saying that for the car that it's not substantial enough, but I'm just saying that one of them is going to stop faster than the other and handle better than the other.

Currently the car that I would buy if I was in the market is an Ariel Atom, so that goes to show what type of person I am.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevin11 View Post
What is the point of all these fast 400-500 HP cars? They're fun, to be sure - but how can you safely and legally ever use that power? With budget cuts, the police are more aggressive with ticketing than ever, the fines are steeper and insurance costs are worse.

So either you take the risk and drive like a bandit anyway, or you just have a high powered machine that you cannot actually use.

I've noticed that some of the slowest cars on the road are not the Prius, but Mustangs, Camaros and Porsches. Presumably because these drivers have already been slapped hard with expensive speeding tickets.
It's called FREEDOM>....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYPCLtA-ETk...

Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I'm most definitely not saying that for the car that it's not substantial enough, but I'm just saying that one of them is going to stop faster than the other and handle better than the other.

Currently the car that I would buy if I was in the market is an
Ariel Atom, so that goes to show what type of person I am.
Haha - yep, you're THIS guy!

Old 08-27-2013, 08:13 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My hot rod has 424 hp and weighs 1700 pounds, do the math. I just enjoy the push in your back and the sound when you are pulling out from a light or accelerating to pass. You don't need to drive like an idiot to love the feel of a responsive car.
Pics?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Pics?
Second
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive