Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 AM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times

Advertisements

I consider myself reasonably mechanically inclined when it comes to automobiles, but I've always been apprehensive about doing my own brakes.

But after watching the mobile mechanic who did my last brake job here at the house, it looks relatively easy. I'm not a fan of turning the rotors (local cost is $15 each for that + a 2-hour wait, and I can buy a brand-new rotor for $35 each), so I typically just replace the rotors and pads each time. I have the tools I need at the house, and I'm not driving anything too exotic.

Does anyone here -- who is not a mechanic for a living -- do their own brake jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 06:45 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
I'll respond, even tough I actually AM a mechanic...

First of all, a LOT of DIYers do their own brakes.

Second, some cars are much easier to "do brakes" on than others. The new Hyundai Elantra, and older Ford Explorer come to mind as two of the absolute easiest vehicles to replace brakes on (front brakes). If you're not mechanically inclined, don't try doing your own back brakes.

Third, there are several special tools you'll need. None of them are expensive, but you won't get the job done without them. A floor jack is preferable, jack stands, and some specific "bits." If you're only going to do your own brakes once, buying the tools probably isn't worth it. But if you're planning to do this for the rest of your life, than yes, buy the tools.

Fourth, you can Google in something like, "replacing front brakes on 2004 Ford Focus," and get good how-to videos. These are very helpful.

Fifth, you must be very careful to double-check your work.

Sixth, you can save a gob of money by doing some of your own repairs.

Good luck!

Old 08-27-2013, 06:51 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I've always done my own and the newer cars with discs have made it even easier than the old drum brakes IMO. YouTube has made it nice because you can find virtually any DIY video you want, even on how to do brakes on your particular car.

One thing I would advise is buying the best brake pads you can get. I bought some cheaper AutoZone ones because I was going to sell the car, but ended up keeping it. My aluminum wheels were always coated with black dust that was hard to remove. I finally pulled them off and put the good ceramic ones on and the wheels stay perfectly clean now. Some people say ceramic pads feel different, but I have noticed NO difference.

Don

Old 08-27-2013, 06:56 AM

Haha.....well, a mechanic's input is always welcomed! I would imagine you're a lot better at it than most of us!

The good news is I do have a 3-ton floor jack, heavy-duty jack stands, and a fairly decent Craftsmen tool set. Are there any other speciality tools I would need? I do plan on doing this a lot more than once (I've got 2 cars, plus 2 kids with cars).

Are the rear brakes on a 4-wheel disc car that different? Or were you referring to drum brakes? (which thankfully I don't have).

You're right, there are some great videos out there. I've been checking on a few of them, and might just record my own when I take the plunge.

Totally agree about double-checking.....and triple-checking!

I've done some of my repairs -- very light stuff -- over the years, and you are right. You can save a ton of money doing them!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:00 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times
I have always done my own. Ive also taught many how to do it as well.

I will usually go have my rotors turned for me as I found most of the part stores rotors are made from cheap china steel and tend to warp pretty easy.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've always done my own and the newer cars with discs have made it even easier than the old drum brakes IMO. YouTube has made it nice because you can find virtually any DIY video you want, even on how to do brakes on your particular car.

One thing I would advise is buying the best brake pads you can get. I bought some cheaper AutoZone ones because I was going to sell the car, but ended up keeping it. My aluminum wheels were always coated with black dust that was hard to remove. I finally pulled them off and put the good ceramic ones on and the wheels stay perfectly clean now. Some people say ceramic pads feel different, but I have noticed NO difference.

Don
Good advice on the cheap pads. I made that mistake once -- once...lol -- and had to clean the wheels constantly.

I've found the same is true with rotors. Better to spend a couple bucks more and get a better product. The rotors/ceramic pads on my Lexus now have 56,000 miles on them, but need to be changed in the next month or so.

Quick tip on the brake dust -- if you throw a coat of synthetic sealant on your wheels, it makes them SUPER easy to clean. I have polished wheels on my GS430, and wax them about once a month. They stay pristine from brake dust and really most dirt, too. Clean up is simply soap and water -- no specialty wheel cleaner needed.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Haha.....well, a mechanic's input is always welcomed! I would imagine you're a lot better at it than most of us!

The good news is I do have a 3-ton floor jack, heavy-duty jack stands, and a fairly decent Craftsmen tool set. Are there any other speciality tools I would need? I do plan on doing this a lot more than once (I've got 2 cars, plus 2 kids with cars).

Are the rear brakes on a 4-wheel disc car that different? Or were you referring to drum brakes? (which thankfully I don't have).

You're right, there are some great videos out there. I've been checking on a few of them, and might just record my own when I take the plunge.

I've done some of my repairs -- very light stuff -- over the years, and you are right. You can save a ton of money doing them!
Having the tools you mention, it sounds like you're about 90% ready!

The problem with the tools is that vehicles have different pins they use for the calipers. Some have a regular hex-bolt head, others have a torx or allen screw. I'd recommend getting the "socket set" of each - they'll look something like this:

Be sure to get professional grade, because the cheap "made in China" crap will almost certain break, and cause you more problems than you can deal with.

Couple things I forgot to mention: First, to "break loose" the bolt/pins, I almost always tap the wrench/socket with a 2 lbs hammer. The jolting of it usually breaks them loose very easily.

Also, I put a drop of Thread Lock on every pin/bolt I install. Good insurance. I use "blue" on brake parts.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
I concur on the ceramic pads. I like them, and suggest them to customers, but don't push them, because they're twice the cost.

To the OP: You can get the el-cheapo $15 per set pads, but do NOT do it. They're crap. Typically, you'll find pads that cost (approximately) $15, $25, $35 - and then you get up in the $55 and above ceramics. The lowest-priced ones I'd ever use are the cheapest ones that have a lifetime warranty - if that makes sense.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post

The rear brakes are never easy. On a 4-wheel disk brake system, you typically have a parking brake that is a "mini drum brake" on the inside of the rotor. The relative novice DIYer is fine, provided you don't need to replace the rotor. But removing the rotor, with that mini-drum brake, is a royal pain in the butt.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
I have always done my own brakes. I just replaced the front rotors and pads on my wife's BMW 328xi for under $200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive