Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:44 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I'd love a car that could stay in the same lane on highways and regulate distance from other cars easily. Would make driving long distances much less fatiguing. Think of it as an autopilot.
This exists today! The Infiniti Q50 will even steer a certain number of degrees before it decides the driver needs to take hold. It uses radar to tell distance from other vehicles and reads lane markers to keep the vehicle in its lane. Steer by wire allows the computer to adjust steering which I hear works a bit better than Mercedes system in the new S class which applies the brakes to steer the vehicle sometimes overly abruptly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 10:50 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Nissan puts one on the road in Japan for testing.

Nissan puts nearly autonomous car on the road | Canadian Manufacturing.

Seems to me that Nissan is very accelerated in it's progress, compared to other automakers and also google... Nissan announced their intent just this year and have already begun testing it on public roads? How long after google began research on theirs did they begin testing on public roads? GM?
..any insight on this?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Google has been testing on public roads for years. They're the ones that convinced Nevada to issue drivers' licenses to autonomous cars to help clear legal hurdles to fully autonomous testing. Continental has also been testing on public roads for some time; again, not sure if they're working independently or in conjunction with VW/Audi.

Bottom line is this technology is progressing rapidly and we're already seeing automated driving enter the market bit by bit.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:57 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Google has been testing on public roads for years. They're the ones that convinced Nevada to issue drivers' licenses to autonomous cars to help clear legal hurdles to fully autonomous testing. Continental has also been testing on public roads for some time; again, not sure if they're working independently or in conjunction with VW/Audi.

Bottom line is this technology is progressing rapidly and we're already seeing automated driving enter the market bit by bit.

Let's say there is an accident and the autonomous vehicle is at fault. How is liability apportioned? Driver, car maker, programmer, human being in vehicle, human owner?

Old 09-27-2013, 08:01 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
I'd sure like to have a driverless car that I can program to drop me off and pick me up at the airport or be my Designated Driver.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Let's say there is an accident and the autonomous vehicle is at fault. How is liability apportioned? Driver, car maker, programmer, human being in vehicle, human owner?
Why would it be apportioned any differently than it is now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I'd sure like to have a driverless car that I can program to drop me off and pick me up at the airport or be my Designated Driver.
The day is coming. It'll probably be a couple decades before truly 100% autonomous cars hit the market, but it's coming.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:08 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
While I see some appeal to driverless cars, would you ever trust one to do the driving on a road like this?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.gadling.c.../deathroad.jpg

Old 09-27-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
While I see some appeal to driverless cars, would you ever trust one to do the driving on a road like this?

If you don't trust it to drive on a road like that, take the wheel yourself.

Exactly how often do you anticipate encountering a road like that anyway?

Old 09-28-2013, 12:04 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post

I would note that all CatIII (almost no visibility) landings are done only by the machine. The pilot can only abort and fly away. He cannot complete the landing...only fly away.

The crucial piece is GPS and other position things and the key is the data base. The data base knows where everything is and can pick up clues from images and Lidar and its own inertial system It will get its primary from GPS but can go miles with no external input.

And how do you keep the data base up to date? You grab the data from other cars and integrate it. Third or fourth time someone goes through a detour it is part of the database.

I still expect the first thing with full autonomous operation will obviously be long range trucking. Sterile environ, expensive equipment, bit payoff. May initially appear in convoys or such with a single human supervisor. But it is really the obvious and big payoff.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:53 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I would note that all CatIII (almost no visibility) landings are done only by the machine. The pilot can only abort and fly away. He cannot complete the landing...only fly away.
The rational part of my brain understands that but the irrational part would likely freak out just sitting there while the car drove itself on a high mountain road with giant drop offs, even though the computer might actually be more safe than my own driving. Maybe it has something to do with survival instinct. A computer doesn't have one and doesn't care whether it lives or dies so I have trouble trusting it in such a situation.
I don't think I'd have much problem letting a driverless car drive me around a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive