U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 AM

5,785 posts, read 5,625,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I think the rack-and-pinion steering made it's appearance in the 2004 refresh.
That's a possibility, I know mine wasn't that new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 AM

3,021 posts, read 2,691,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I spend a lot of time with used ex cop Crown Vics for some of the high speed driver training we do.

In my opinion as a car they are rather out of date with the times. It's something that in 1990 was passable and now it's ancient in 2011.

Overall I would say they are durable considering the abuse we put them under, which also involves car to car contact.

One thing we have found is on some of them with or without posi traction that in the wet, the right rear putting the power down can create some near or unrecoverable oversteer spins. Also depending on the corner, if you load up weight on the right side and have the right rear under power and happen to drop the tires off the edge of the road onto loose stuff, again you can get a wild snap of oversteer. The situation is compounded with crappy tires. Like any car, buy the best tires you can. Buying one with stability control is not a bad idea...

That is why setting the car up before the corner gets you thru it quicker and safer! Too bad few people know how to do that. A rear wheel drive will always get thru the corner quicker if driven correctly vs. fwd.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,350 times
i just wish they would put a 5.0 in them and keep them around

1. they have already developed the motor and it wouldn't be hard to fit in the engine bay

2. many parts could stay the same.

3 other than the powertrain the car isn't much broken.

with the police package's higher spring rates and stiffer sway bars you would be suprised how they do in the corners.

4. and with the new engine mpg would actually increase- esp if ford ads direct injection in the future - something they kept in mind while designing the 5.0

Last edited by zsimmons; 09-08-2011 at 10:21 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 10:41 AM

204 posts, read 245,520 times
the police use the crown vics because they are affordable and cheap to replace, and they go a descent enough speed for their job

Old 09-10-2011, 10:50 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,115,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah for all the reasons above, just a cheap generic 4-door public vehicle - the myth about the souped up special model police cruisers is just that - a myth. Nothing special about em except I think they put tranny coolers and maybe larger radiators, if that, mostly to deal with the amount of mileage police put on them.

They aren't particularly fast at all. The old Caprice police models were much faster.
I have seen crown vics in the early 2000, with cobra motors. The 4 valve DOHC, N/A Cobra/Mach 1 motor.

Kind of like the Merc Marauders. Also In central FL, they had Maroon Marauders(they used to only come in black)

I think they are ideal. They are basically trucks, but getter better mileage. LOL. Simple/easy to maintain. You get into the need to use your car as a weapon, a Crown Vic is one of the more ideal vehicles. Then all the before mentioned reasons.

I used to work with some cops and they talked about how Intrepids just got beat, like 4-5 transmissions in the cars, Impalas, got beat but not as bad, their favorites were the crown vics in terms of durability and versatility.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:49 PM

728 posts, read 1,010,308 times
Default Why do the police like the Ford Crown Vic?

When you spend a lot of time at Dunkin' Donuts, you want a big roomy car.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:01 AM

9,694 posts, read 11,698,552 times
I use Crown Vics a lot and then do tend to be predictable and durable, especially with what we do to them with car to car contact for teaching certain scenarios.

However, it's an old, old, platform. You can get a lot better mileage and safety out of some modern technology. Time for the old girl to move on.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,276 times
Now I know this thread has been around for quite some time, but after reading the first few pages I saw someone mention a Hyundia out-running a Crown Vic, and then a few people argue against the paper specs... Well here's some proof (when you head out of this area it's all rural roads where radioing ahead may not get you the help you need in time.. so it's basically Crown Vic vs Other Car)

Quote:
STATE COLLEGE – A man with a gun robbed four gas stations – two on East College Avenue in College Township and two along North Atherton Street in Patton Township -- within 13 minutes early Saturday morning, police said.
Quote:
Police said the man was driving a dark blue 2011 Kia Sportage that was reported stolen from Bellefonte. Police said the vehicle hasn’t been recovered yet.
Quote:
State police at Rockview said they briefly followed the getaway vehicle on state Routes 144/150 in the Milesburg area early Saturday morning, but they were unable to catch up with it as it fled toward Bellefonte, police said.
Now that was a 2011 Kia Sportage vs Crown Vics...

And from some "research" a commentor posted:
Quote:
According to the Michigan State Police, the Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor only has 250hp, a 0-60mph time of around 9.0 seconds and a 0-100mph time of around 27 seconds. According to Motortrend.com, a Kia Sportage has a 170hp 4 cylinder engine with a 0-60mph time of around 8.3 seconds.
4 State College gas stations robbed by armed man | Latest news | CentreDaily.com (http://www.centredaily.com/2011/09/17/2917518/4-state-college-gas-stations-robbed.html - broken link)

Old 03-10-2013, 05:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,843 times
I know a lot of police officers that love the CVPIs. I own a 2006 CVPI from Lincoln, NE. Most of the officers where I live prefer the Crown Vics over the Chargers because of reliability and durability.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:31 PM

828 posts, read 888,056 times
2 year old thread alert~~~!!!!!!!

Most of the posters in this thread now drive Kia Sportages!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive