Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 06:34 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,623,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Whenever I think of police cruisers, for some reason the first image that comes to mind is the "Blues Brothers" in their late 1970s or early 80s Dodge Polara leaving behind a fleet of crashed up Chicago PD cruisers. The old Dodges had the monster 440 V8 if I recall correctly, and although they were an extreme gas guzzler, I don't recall there were too many vehicles that could outrun them on a wide open road. Somehow the new Dodge Charger police cruisers just don't seem to be in the same league as their predecessors, the brawny old Dodge Polara.
Chrysler was very sneaky with the old Dodges and your right there weren't many cars that could outrun them. The reason being Dodge liked to put low ratio rear ends in those cars. They weren't any good in a drag race but they would catch you at top end. Anybody that drove the NJ Turnpike back in the 70's will no doubt remember troop cars passing them in the left lane traveling at warp speed. If I remember right (correct me if I'm wrong) those cars were available with 2.73 maybe 2.90 rears.

Last edited by exhdo1; 11-18-2007 at 06:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Dodge already offers a Charger police package with the 5.7 Hemi spitting out 340HP. They're not moving very well because a) they're a bit more expensive than a Crown Vic (not outrageously, but when you're buying in fleet quantities it adds up quick), less room in the trunk for equipment, passenger seat area is barely big enough once you put in the divider, not as much room for the computer equipment on the front console (even after Dodge moved the gear shift from the console to the steering column). In other words, just a little too small all around. I wouldn't want to see one of these baddies in my rear-view mirror though...

I know about the Charger. What Dodge is talking about is a all new full framed, full sized RWD car. Maybe they are looking to fill the void Chevy left. I think the need for that type of vehicle for fleet use is great. Let's see what they come up with now that they have discontinued some models. By the way I've also seen the Magnum in police use. Looks kind of wierd.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:52 AM

Then again you an always get one of these.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/exhdo1/Javelin.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-18-2007, 09:14 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I know about the Charger. What Dodge is talking about is a all new full framed, full sized RWD car. Maybe they are looking to fill the void Chevy left. I think the need for that type of vehicle for fleet use is great. Let's see what they come up with now that they have discontinued some models. By the way I've also seen the Magnum in police use. Looks kind of wierd.
The last Dodge passenger car that had a full frame was the ca. 1960 model.

You must be thinking subframes------much like a 1967-81 Chevy Camaro/Pontiac Firebird.

As for Mopar (or anybody else) coming out with any new car; it would have to have a reasonable chance of being profitable-------building police package vehicles is not cost effective barring having 'retail' versions alongside.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:50 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
Quote:
Chrysler was very sneaky with the old Dodges and your right there weren't many cars that could outrun them. The reason being Dodge liked to put low ratio rear ends in those cars. They weren't any good in a drag race but they would catch you at top end. Anybody that drove the NJ Turnpike back in the 70's will no doubt remember troop cars passing them in the left lane traveling at warp speed. If I remember right (correct me if I'm wrong) those cars were available with 2.73 maybe 2.90 rears.
That would be 2.76 and 2.93 for the Mopars.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
Christ, dude. your stats mean absolutely nothing to me. btw, i am a LEO and i would rather be in a Crown Vic pursuing a Hyundai than in a Hyundai pursuing a Crown Vic. it has a hundred HP and double the torque. plus it's a rear-wheel drive. a tested half second slower 0-60 time doesnt mean that a Crown Vic isnt going to run down an econobox fairly quickly.

I have no idea what you just said. All I know is that if I were a cop, Id be mighty embarrassed knowing that I couldnt keep up with most cars nowadays.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The last Dodge passenger car that had a full frame was the ca. 1960 model.

You must be thinking subframes------much like a 1967-81 Chevy Camaro/Pontiac Firebird.

As for Mopar (or anybody else) coming out with any new car; it would have to have a reasonable chance of being profitable-------building police package vehicles is not cost effective barring having 'retail' versions alongside.
No I'm not thinking subframes, what I read was a new platform full sized, full frame. I can only report what I read, I don't design for Chrysler. As far as being profitable I guess you mean like the Crown Vic being used for police use as well as taxi, car service and personal use. Seems pretty lucrative to me.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I have no idea what you just said. All I know is that if I were a cop, Id be mighty embarrassed knowing that I couldnt keep up with most cars nowadays.
Thankfully your not a cop, your too easily embarassed.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That would be 2.76 and 2.93 for the Mopars.
I knew there was sevens, threes and nines in there. , Damn sixties!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:46 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Thankfully your not a cop, your too easily embarassed.
It always sucks being the slow car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln