Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Which would make you more nervous at 10PM on a freeway, being surrounded by texters or being surrounded by drivers who would blow a 0.10% ?
Without a doubt, Pimokn, if I must make a choice . . . I'd pick DRUNKS.

Unfortunately, TEXTERS are extremely arrogant, indifferent and feel they are above the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 12:16 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
by being able to identify them you're that much ahead of the game. get in front of them, stay out of their blind spot. after getting ahead, get a 2-6 car buffer between the offender and yourself in case they forgot how to brake. report them. 911. 311.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:29 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Which would make you more nervous at 10PM on a freeway, being surrounded by texters or being surrounded by drivers who would blow a 0.10% ?

Texters. 0.10% will drag a bit from lane to lane but with texters it's impossible to predict.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:16 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Drunks KNOW they are on thin ice and some drive very carefully despite their impaired state, not because of the danger but because they don't want to pay for the ticket. Texters are clueless. Even if a guy gets pulled over and blows a 1.6, he probably had both hands on the wheel and was trying to watch the road when the cops showed up. Not so the texters.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:52 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
I say its a toss up. Both will kill you, with fake remorse and continue driving learning nothing.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:05 AM

123 posts, read 295,813 times
There have actually been studies on this, and in the tests the texters were worse than the drinkers.
If I knew I was driving near either I'd want to pull over asap... but if I had to choose I'd say drunks, because drunks are driving under much greater legal threat, trying to drive cautiously to get home without a wreck or being pulled over.... while texters act like they're doing nothing wrong.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:45 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Congrats on another stupid statement by a texter. You people just don't get it.

His response here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
There are plenty of people that actually CAN use the phone and drive just fine. We just notice the ones who cant.

Ban ban ban, lets ban everything. Screw it, cars are dangerous. Lets ban them and go back to horse and wagon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Give me a break with your BS again - I can drive fine with cellphone, I can tailgate OK....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I'm not saying me. I said there are plenty of PEOPLE who can just fine. As far as tailgating, I never follow to close to where I will hit somebody if they stop as fast as they can.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:00 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
if someone texting goes outside of their lane and almost caused a wreck or someone honked the horn generally they get the idea and many will just stop and pay attention.

on the other hand if someone is drunk you can blow the horn at them all day long and they will still drive in is the exact pattern until they either crash or get to the final destination. being tipsy behind the wheel is just as bad as someone driving with little to no sleep behind the wheel.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 AM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
What about the drunk person who's texting?!?!?! The person who mentioned getting in front of someone who's either drunk or texting and then staying a few car lengths ahead, do you really want to be in front of someone who's reaction times are much slower and in front of someone not even looking forward while driving their car?!?!? I can see passing and getting as far in front as possible.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:24 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I had to think on this one for a bit, but I think I would rather have drunks around me if I had to choose between the two. In my young and dumb days I drove home from clubs pretty lit up many times and never had a wreck. You are able to muster up some degree of concentration and focus on your driving, whereas when you are texting you take 100% of that focus off the road and direct it at the screen.

Something is going to have to be done about cell phone use and especially texting while driving. It is becoming a real problem of huge proportions. Every car that passes me has someones left hand glued to their ear and people looking down at that stupid screen.

Don

This guy did something we have all wanted to do to a cell phone user who caused a wreck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8eZuxjo3iY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive