Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:37 AM

837 posts, read 2,082,917 times

Advertisements

I'm a male in my late-20's, and even though many of my peers are into the "ricing" scene, I simply cannot see the appeal. What makes ricing a car so desirable? Was ricing popular even before Fast & the Furious (circa 2001)?
  • Most riced-up cars look classless with the super high spoilers, crazy paint colors, angled wheels, etc.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think women dig riced-up cars.
  • Let's be honest - a 1996 Civic still looks outdated, even if it is riced up.
  • Even nicer, newer cars that are riced up (e.g. a blacked out Acura TSX or Nissan Maxima)
  • I'd assume riced cars are targeted by cops.
  • I apologize for the stereotype, but ricers tend to be pretty obnoxious on the road (e.g. constant tail-gating) and the drivers look low-life'ish.

Don't get me wrong - to each their own. However, I never understood the culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 11:39 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
I think it is stupid. I cannot stand seeing the ricer mufflers and hearing them. They are just as bad as donk cars and jacked up trucks.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:46 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I think it is stupid. I cannot stand seeing the ricer mufflers and hearing them. They are just as bad as donk cars and jacked up trucks.
I must be leading a sheltered life but what is a 'donk' car?

Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
or hacked up low riders. but who am i to denigrate someone who wants to customize their car as they see fit? i plan on customizing my cars when i get them, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt, depends on what fund i have available.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:50 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
I'm a male in my late-20's, and even though many of my peers are into the "ricing" scene, I simply cannot see the appeal. What makes ricing a car so desirable? Was ricing popular even before Fast & the Furious (circa 2001)?
  • Most riced-up cars look classless with the super high spoilers, crazy paint colors, angled wheels, etc.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think women dig riced-up cars.
  • Let's be honest - a 1996 Civic still looks outdated, even if it is riced up.
  • Even nicer, newer cars that are riced up (e.g. a blacked out Acura TSX or Nissan Maxima)
  • I'd assume riced cars are targeted by cops.
  • I apologize for the stereotype, but ricers tend to be pretty obnoxious on the road (e.g. constant tail-gating) and the drivers look low-life'ish.

Don't get me wrong - to each their own. However, I never understood the culture.
What's your definition of "riced", because I see nothing wrong with a blacked out TSX or Maxima, (black car, tinted windows, dark/black wheels)
Is it because they're Japanese cars??

Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,472 times
But we all know each sticker gives you 5hp.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
What's your definition of "riced", because I see nothing wrong with a blacked out TSX or Maxima, (black car, tinted windows, dark/black wheels)
I guess my definition of riced is broad.

Last week, I saw someone with a green Civic from the 90's with a jacked up spoiler, angled tires, I think the rims were dipped in orange, etc. It looked ridiculous.

On the other hand, I have also see blacked out (defined as tinted windows, blackened chrome trims, tailpipes, everything), low riding "nice/modern" cars that have emblems taken off, big wheels that don't necessarily fit the car, etc. Perhaps this type of customization doesn't fall into the "riced" category, but nevertheless, it seems to devalue the class of the car.

The pinnacle of ridiculous rice, IMO, is the super high spoiler where the material and the color tint doesn't match that of the car itself.

Again, to each their own...

Old 09-05-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Now that you mention it...do people only rice Japanese cars? I can't recall ever seeing a riced car that is of German or American make. If so, why?

Old 09-05-2013, 12:00 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Default Donk car

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I must be leading a sheltered life but what is a 'donk' car?
AKA "Hi-Risers"

see Hi-Riser (automobile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-05-2013, 12:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Bascially they are just looking for hopped cars like we did in the early 60's ;but they do not have 57 chevy or chevy performance parts any more. In time they might be opening the truck to show their batteries;LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive