Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 01:25 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
This makes no sense at all. Why would buyers choose a thirstier SUV than and a thirsty station wagon? The do so because they like the SUV for its image and utility. Today's SUVs and trucks are just as clean burning as a Toyota Camry.

Large cars aren't less available because of regulations. It is because buyers don't want the land yachts of yesteryear.
No kidding. Everyone got pushed into those egg-shaped looking crossovers.

Quote:
How has the truck market been ruined? Trucks are better than ever. Many are expensive. But if you want a plain long bed work truck in white you can still go to the Ford dealer and buy one. A Ford F150 XL with a V6 and standard transmission is $24K.
I promise you there aren't any manual trans in F150s anymore. If you're paying $24k for one, that's way too much for (at the youngest) an '08 v6, regular cab truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
Its a power thing. Most trucks ive seen are empty and don't have a scratch on them. At the first hint of a snowflake a truck well be the first spun out vehicle stuck in a ditch! Many men are trying to make up for a lack of something.
Unless you pull a big heavy trailer, they are a waste. And when you have a truck people assume you well help them move. We could save much oil if trucks were made commercial vehicles and all new ones ran on NG or diesel. Way to many trucks used as commuter vehicles at half the MPG of vehicles around them. Americans have some weird love affair with trucks. I drive a big rig by the way, for 25 years. Its size is for a working purpose.
Um, the last couple of times it has snowed here in the Houston area, I promise you most of the ditched vehicles were econoboxes who thought they were invincible because they handled so well. Thanks for playing. Also, thanks to the Good Lord up above, I'm not not any position to have a "lack of something". Consider it a bonus, if you will. I do. As for saving oil, I don't care. Millions of barrels of oil ooze out of the floor of the Gulf of Mexico every year. Save it for that, I guess, by your lack of logic? I hope not. I'd rather run the A-rabs out of oil and have them buy ours later on at a serious premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Good luck with that. It is very clear that many people aren't happy if they aren't judging someone else.
I'm fine with people judging others. Heck, it's even allowed in the Bible. (In before someone misreads Matthew 7:1...) They just best be able to back that mess up. I have two F150s keeping parking spaces warm out front. I'll drive whatever anyone wants me to drive as long as they pay my note for the next 47 months AND buy me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
How much will you like that truck that's your only vehicle, if your daily commute is 60 miles each way, gas is +$4 a gallon and you otherwise don't have any practical use for one? And you don't exactly have money to "throw away?"

Not saying people all have to drive the same vehicles, but while people do pick what they like, they also factor in some practicality depending on what their needs are, especially if their means only limit them to one vehicle. More often than not, a vehicle suits a person's lifestyle, unless they have the luxury of also owning additional cars just for the sake of having them.
I guess folks better learn to live within their means and have some rainy day money then. If they don't, that's really not my problem. Gas is $4/gal for folks who drive Civics, too. Guess what? I don't know too many Civics that go off the beaten path in the chemical plants I work in. The Chevy Aveo I drove for the outfit I worked for last fall? Please! That crapbox would get stuck in the ruts I had to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This thread has made me want to go out and drive around aimlessly in my Big Honking Truck for a couple hours.
Me, too, but I am working on these grad school assignemnts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Maybe over 20mpg on the highway but city streets, where most driving is actually done, new trucks typically still only get around 14mpg. My old roommate bought a new Silverado and has been complaining about the poor gas mileage as compared to his old S-10. My cousin just bought a 2010 Tundra and he too complains about the poor gas mileage.
Okay? My city driving is about two stop signs and I hit 60+ highway. If your ex-roomie and cuz are complaining about MPGs in their trucks, then maybe they tried to sit at the grownup table a wee bit too soon. See, when smarter folks buy a vehicle, they take into account the need to be filled and how much it costs to fill the needs to be met. A Tundra is a 3/4-ton if your cuz looks at his title and registration fees he pays for that privilege of driving that truck legally. Hope he needs that much truck! The ex-roomie needs to get used to dumping oil into that Silvy. The 5.3L loves to burn that like crazy. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 01:48 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
If your ex-roomie and cuz are complaining about MPGs in their trucks, then maybe they tried to sit at the grownup table a wee bit too soon. See, when smarter folks buy a vehicle, they take into account the need to be filled and how much it costs to fill the needs to be met.
Both have enough dough (software engineer and environmental scientist respectively) but that doesnt mean they're not going to take note of the difference in mpg.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:34 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I was just wondering why big pick-ups are so popular paricularly in the South.
Most of these people tend to be dudes driving them mostly younger. I can understand if you needed to use them for utiliity often but majority of times I see the bed is empty.
From what I understand the MPG is horrible on those things.
Just because you don't see us hauling stuff in our Big trucks, that doesn't mean we don't use them. I originally picked up my Ford Raptor because of living in a desert environment and working in the oilfield. I rarely ever hauled anything in my truck but I couldn't have made it to work driving a Hybrid. Now the situation has changed, I live downtown Dallas Texas. This is a Hybrid's Wet Dream and a Raptor's worst nightmare. The streets are narrow for one thing an commutes are long. It doesn't take long to gulp down a tank of fuel @11 MPG. Why do I keep the Raptor? It's paid off for one thing. I also enjoy mountain bike riding and our son is in the Boy Scouts. So it comes in handy.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:43 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
I have a 2013 6.7L Diesel f250 loaded lariat...

I get 20mpg at 60mph, 17mpg at 70mph and around 14 in town.

I bought my truck to haul my 42' 15000lb toy hauler.

I tow it a few times a year. So does this mean the 90% of the time I'm not towing it or occasionally hauling my motorcycle, people are judging me and secretly thinking I bought it for no reason?

Hmmm... sounds like some pretty stupid logic..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-08-2013, 02:43 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
Yep, have mine specifically for hurricane evacuations, lol. Now u may wana evacuate in a eco box with a small suitcase, not me, we load the truck up like we may never see our house again, cause we may not,lol.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:35 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,047,572 times
Quote:
So that person we see everyday driving a Ranger Rover does so because of its cross linked shocks and steep approach angles? All because that is part of their lifestyle? Oh please.

People drive what they want and can afford. Maybe its a Prius, a 911 turbo, or a Ford Raptor truck. I think in many cases it has nothing to do with the lifestyle some think are associated with a particular vehicle.
My post wasn't rationalizing those who are in a position to afford whatever they want. Those who can buy multiple vehicles aren't factored there. It was for everyday people who buy what they like, want and need, but don't necessarily have the means to just buy any vehicle. Someone with a family of 5 isn't going to buy a 2 seater if they share one car with their spouse. I think people forget one person having multiple cars can be a luxury for some and said people stick with one car at a time. Those people will certainly buy something they like, but they'll factor in practicality as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post

I guess folks better learn to live within their means and have some rainy day money then. If they don't, that's really not my problem. Gas is $4/gal for folks who drive Civics, too. Guess what? I don't know too many Civics that go off the beaten path in the chemical plants I work in. The Chevy Aveo I drove for the outfit I worked for last fall? Please! That crapbox would get stuck in the ruts I had to avoid.
I don't see your point. $4 a gallon in a civic isn't going to cost as much to fill the tank as a Ford F-150. And people aren't driving civics to go off-road. Obviously people going off road would need jeeps, trucks, SUVs. Apples and oranges.

The OP's subject was addressing the people who s/he thinks don't really need trucks that have them, not people who have them and already have a reasonable use for one.

Note, I'm not the OP, I'm just redirecting the original focus of the thread.

Last edited by LexWest; 09-08-2013 at 03:53 PM..

Old 09-08-2013, 05:37 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Who cares what one buys and why they buy it. It may be for the simple reason that they want it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
A truck is great to have. In a perfect world, a person would own a few cars, each for a different purpose, but since most people can only afford one car, or one good car and one low end model, a person will choose one that can do everything, like a Swiss Army knife.

A truck also is great for road trips, they look good, and they do come in handy when needed.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:47 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
A truck is great to have. In a perfect world, a person would own a few cars, each for a different purpose, but since most people can only afford one car, or one good car and one low end model, a person will choose one that can do everything, like a Swiss Army knife.

A truck also is great for road trips, they look good, and they do come in handy when needed.
Plus... compare the safety factor of a 9k lb truck vs a 4k lb sedan...

Honestly when I get married some days I woukd probably rather have whoever I'm married to and my kids in a larger suv or truck than a small sedan even just for the safet reasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-09-2013, 08:06 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
A truck to look "wealthy & powerful"? If anything, I think maybe to look macho and tough.

Folks attempting to look wealthy & powerful might be more inclined to lease a Mercedes, Lexus or BMW. Example: real estate salesperson.

Funny thing though is go and price a loaded up diesel 1 ton dually... you would be shocked. Just as much as one of those luxury cars, or close to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive