Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
To me, stick shift is driving. With an automatic, you're just along for the ride.
I disagree completely, shifting is something you never have to think about if you are an accomplished driver. Car control is what most people are not very good at and need to improve in that area.

BTW, I drive a manual every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I love manual transmission cars. There is just something fun about shifting, not sure what it is. To me, stick shift is driving. With an automatic, you're just along for the ride.
So with an automatic, you no longer steer, accelerate, brake, decide what lane to be in, where to turn, how fast you are going, etc? Just "along for the ride?"

BS. I dare you, in your automatic equipped car, to get in, turn the key on, and put it in drive, then take your hands off the wheel and your feet off the pedals and see just how far you get to your destination. If you're "just along for the ride" and not actually driving with an automatic, you should get there just fine, right?

You're in as much control over where you are, where you are going, and how you get there in an automatic equipped car. You simply don't HAVE to choose which gear you are in while doing it. That's the ONLY "control" that an automatic takes over. And if choosing which gear you are in at any given time is all that driving is to you, then I feel sorry for you and anyone who thinks like you.

And this is coming from a guy who has specifically chosen manual transmission cars and installed manual transmissions in cars that never came with one.

And if shifting is what's fun about driving, then install a manual trans shifter and clutch pedal on your easy chair at home, row through the gears while sitting there and get all the fun of driving, while spending no money on fuel. Should be a win-win situation for you, right? or is driving actually a WHOLE lot more than choosing what gear you are in? And is the fun of driving actually the motion of the car and the G forces of acceleration and cornering?

Old 09-09-2013, 08:00 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
So with an automatic, you no longer steer, accelerate, brake, decide what lane to be in, where to turn, how fast you are going, etc? Just "along for the ride?"

BS. I dare you, in your automatic equipped car, to get in, turn the key on, and put it in drive, then take your hands off the wheel and your feet off the pedals and see just how far you get to your destination. If you're "just along for the ride" and not actually driving with an automatic, you should get there just fine, right?
You guys are taking Army_Guy's reply literally when it was fugitive.

As someone who shifts gears for a living, I can understand what he's say. Shifting gears takes mental thought and energy but you really don't notice it as much playing around with 3-6sp gear boxes. Thats one Pro of Big trucks switching to autos, it helps reduce fatigue. Try shifting gears for a living, like 10-18 gears and having to double clutch each gear. At the end of the day or work week, you'll feel like you're along for "a ride" jumping into an automatic. You just stick it drive and let the slush box do its thing. Ya, you can shift gears in an auto, but modern automatics, even sports cars with autos are starting to be design to shift better in auto than manually shifting.

I'm not against either transmession, well, I dont care for big trucks with autos. My DD driver is an Auto and I have owned Manuals. I honestly enjoy driving both and don't see them phasing he manual completely out any time soon.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:09 AM

752 posts, read 1,164,295 times
I use car to drive from point A to point B with minimum of gas. If I need racing and power I put 50 C in video racing machine. So I'm with auto.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
For some reason I never get tired of this argument.

Manual transmissions just rock, that's all there is to it. Driver skill, economy/reliability, weiner size and all that stuff aside, they just feel better to drive and I would not willingly switch over to a "automatic only" car world without a lot of kicking and screaming.

I'm sure automatic lovers would say the same thing about their trannys... but that's probably because (for one reason or another) they just can't drive stick very well.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
I saved my manual - it's in the driver door pocket.

BTW, how do you guys feel about M-DCT? I guess what also separates people is performance vs. feel.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Yeah, you can sell a 20-year-old owner's manual on Ebay.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:09 PM

780 posts, read 2,923,727 times
Finally, I purged my stable of automatic ! All manuals, all the time !

Old 09-09-2013, 01:28 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
For some reason I never get tired of this argument.
I don't, either. I find it entertaining.

Quote:
Manual transmissions just rock, that's all there is to it. Driver skill, economy/reliability, weiner size and all that stuff aside, they just feel better to drive and I would not willingly switch over to a "automatic only" car world without a lot of kicking and screaming.
"Feel" better to drive? The transmission is just one many factors in a car. Also, when out driving on the highway in top gear, the "feel" is going to be about the same with a manual or automatic.

Quote:
I'm sure automatic lovers would say the same thing about their trannys... but that's probably because (for one reason or another) they just can't drive stick very well.
Highly unlikely. Most people can learn to drive a stick fine. Many of them just get tired of shifting. One example being my brother. For about 7 years, he drove an '89 Nissan Sentra with a stick. When he went shopping for a new car, he told me no way was he going to buy a car with a manual transmission... after 7 years of that, he was was very sick of shifting up and down continually while driving on surface streets. He ended up buying a 2008 Acura TL and he enjoys the automatic transmission in that car much more than he did the manual in his former car.

Also, a lot of people are driving a car with an automatic because that was the only transmission available in that make and model of car.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
save the stick. everyone should know how to drive a manual. oh, and did anyone else catch at 1:31...
Quote:
never go full retard

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive