Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 04:00 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,163,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Toyota has reissued a recall of 870,000 vehicles in the United States and Canada after discovering initial repairs were not performed properly, the Japanese automaker said Monday.

"We got reports there was a problem with vehicles that had supposedly been fixed in the initial recall," spokeswoman Cindy Knight told AFP.

"It turns out dealerships weren't performing the repairs correctly."

Toyota has issued new instructions to dealers and will be notifying customers that they need to bring their vehicles back in to be checked.

In a notice to safety regulators, Toyota said it found that the rear tie rod could develop "unwanted movement and rust" if the nuts are improperly tightened during service.

This could eventually lead to thread damage and eventual failure of the tie rod, which would cause an abrupt change in the vehicle's alignment.

The recall affects RAV4 vehicles with model years 2006 through 2010 and Lexus HS250h vehicles built from October 2005 through September 2010.

It was the second time in a week that Toyota issued a second recall for the same group of vehicles.

Some 133,000 Highyland and Lexus RX vehicles were recalled in the United States Tuesday to repair a problem with the hybrid engine's inverter system.

The vehicles were recalled in 2011 after initial reports of problems with solder. Further investigation discovered a problem with the circuitry.
Y! SPORTS

This goes to prove that even #1 car reliability company has issues.

My thinking is instead of driving a "reliable" appliance, I'd much rather own a fun to drive vehicle... Reliability is such a hit and miss thing, drivability is a real, measurable thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 04:03 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
Toyota, in the past 10 years, has become what General Motors became in the 70s & 80s - arrogant and lazy.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:20 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,583,146 times
+1 to both posts.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Actually, the worst crap car we ever had was an older Toyota, 1996 4Runner.
Never bought another one since and never will. They built a good reputation then
failed to live up to it.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Toyota, in the past 10 years, has become what General Motors became in the 70s & 80s - arrogant and lazy.

Actually, I do see dealerships becoming arrogant and lazy. Cudos for Toyota for reaching out, making sure things are fixed, and not being corporately afraid of it.

"We got reports there was a problem with vehicles that had supposedly been fixed in the initial recall," spokeswoman Cindy Knight told AFP.

"It turns out dealerships weren't performing the repairs correctly."

Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Bottom line . . .

Toyota is, and has been for some time, cutting every corner possible to keep their prices down.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Y! SPORTS

This goes to prove that even #1 car reliability company has issues.

My thinking is instead of driving a "reliable" appliance, I'd much rather own a fun to drive vehicle... Reliability is such a hit and miss thing, drivability is a real, measurable thing.
Fun, drivability is measurable? And reliability is not? Post your stats.
"Hit or miss" as you call it is a probability which is measurable.
While to you, having a bad experience with a brand makes it seem more likely that you get a sh-tty one next time you go with that brand, it is not necessarily true. With a brand like Toyota, being consistently rated as a reliable car company, your probability of getting a reliable vehicle increases. Sure there are bad apples in the basket, but the tree overall is great.

Toyota is doing the right thing with the recalls. They made a lot of mistakes with their 09-10 pedal issue but they're learning from it and are trying to be transparent with issues, unlike other brands like Chrysler 2-3 months ago refusing to recall Jeeps after the NHTSA pushed the issue.
Even though this seems to be more of Toyota's dealers' not getting things right, Toyota is stepping up. Kudos.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:23 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
I just got back my Toyota Sequoia from the dealer after I received two recalls notices: the first requiring frame undercoating to prevent rust, and the second gave me a new front passenger air bag. All in all my SUV has been pretty maintenance free with only minor nuisance issues.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 PM

222 posts, read 470,803 times
I've owned eight Toyotas and none have left me stranded. I owned a 2007 RAV4 for 4 years and never had a single problem with it. I traded it in on a PriusV and have had no issues with it. I wish the engine was quieter when accelerating but when I look at the display and see I've averaged 45.4 MPG driving mostly city miles over 25,000 miles I have no quibbles.

Are the Toyotas today what they were 30 years ago when I bought my first Corolla reliability wise? Probably not.

A couple years ago I was at the local Chevy dealer killing time. The salesman asked me what i was driving. When I told him a Toyota he said, "Keep it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion