Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 05:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about a new vehicle for my wife and have pretty much narrowed it down to Subaru Forester or 4WD Ford Escape. Comparably equipped we have found the Escape to be about $1,000 higher but both are running $22-24,000 with just usual features, automatic, air, power windows/doors etc. They are very close in size, fuel economy and power, even driver and passenger space, the Forester is a little more storage. We have a Ford dealer that we have had great customer service from in the past but would be on our own looking for a Subaru.

Since they are both fairly new to the market, I'd like to know if anyone having either can comment on these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 05:45 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
I think they both compare very well, for me it would probably come down to the driveability, particularly how you feel about the CVT in the Subie. Some folks like them but I'm not one of them. I think the Forester rides a little more car like but still handles decently, the Ford has more aggressive styling, more modern electronics and drives a little sportier I think. The Subaru's AWD system can't be beat though and it sure did come through the small overlap crash test a heck of a lot better than the Escape- Good vs Poor, and I'd also be willing to bet the Subie would likely be more reliable.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ThtOh6_...%3DThtOh6_AvfQ

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4T5AY8qsKkM

Disclosure- we have two Subarus, (in SOCA of all places lol) a WRX and a Tribeca and love 'em.

Last edited by T. Damon; 09-14-2013 at 05:56 PM..

Old 09-14-2013, 05:51 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
I would say let your personal driving experience be the judge. Both are great vehicles. The only minor thing about a Subby is like last year when they recalled a lot of the cars for brake issues, you weren't suppose to drive it until fixed. It took them a month to get the parts in from Japan. Otherwise, I wouldn't back up from buying either. I would avoid the Ecoboost in the Escape. While the little engine hasn't had near the issues of the V6 3.5, it still had issues with catching fire. That's supposedly fixed but ya have to know the engine is high stressed.
Here's a comparison by Motor Trend that you might want to review.
Ford Escape vs. Honda CR-V vs. Kia Sportage vs. Mazda CX-5 vs. Volkswagen Tiguan - 2012/2013 Compact Crossover SUV Comparison - Motor Trend

Old 09-15-2013, 06:51 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
we can tell you what we would prefer, and since both vehicles are very good, no one would be pointing you in the wrong direction one way or the other. however in the end the choice is yours. you have already done the hard part and narrowed it down to these two vehicles, so now go drive them both, preferably on the same day and about the same time of day. run the A/C, heat, wipers, etc. and done just look at the instrument panel, touch it, at least touch all the switches, nobs, dials, etc. once you have each thoroughly driven both vehicles, go some place away from the dealerships, some place comfortable, and talk openly about what you liked and disliked about each vehicle. and when you talk about the dislikes, you have to decide if you can live with them for a long time. for instance if you dont like the seating position, dont try to tell yourself you will get used to it, you wont, and it will color your vision of the vehicle forever.

once you have gone through that, chances are you both will agree on one of the two, pick that one and go with it, and dont look back.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Thanks, all helpful comments. We will be test driving both before deciding and that will will most likely determine which way we go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive